Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl renting room in house refusing to move out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Take your last six words “in your own home no less” and apply it to the Op’s actual statements. He’s never lived there so what makes you think any rational person would see it as his home. It is his house but not his home. Guidance as to the construction of “principal private residence” is geared to identifying someone’s home not a property which simply belongs to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What the Tribunal said in the case https://www.rtb.ie/documents/TR0914-000847/TR0914-000847-DR0414-11559%20Report.pdf

"Where a licence agreement is claimed, not only the written form of the licence but the reality of how it is operated (or its substance) must also be examined and the Tribunal is satisfied that the reality as operated on the ground in this given case points clearly to a licence agreement and not a lease agreement. It is relevant to note that the Appellant Tenants signed the said written agreement on 12 separate pages."

No way can you say for sure that this is a licence arrangement. You have to look at Tribunal decisions and not FAQs to decide matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

His home is still his PPR under revenue rules, of which the RTB definition of licensee backs this up.

I’m sorry if this is not the answer you want. Also I am an accountant so I would know revenue rules better than most tbh.

The facts in your link don’t match this case so it is irrelevant?

Also you quoted a tribunal decision as evidence when the claimed landlord was a limited company, of course they can’t be a licensee as a corporate body can’t have a PPR under statute ?

• Advertisement

They were found to be a licensee. You clearly didn't read the report, just spouting drivel.

Yep, I was serious about my questions.

I'm curious if a person owns one house in their name are there any cases/instances of a judge deciding it isn't their their PPR......is it a common thing?

From your reply you are of the opinion overholding "tenant" would have to go to court and prove its not OPs PPR to remain there indefinitely???....

Is that correct?

If so does that then mean any licensee could potentially decide to try their luck and claim its not the owners PPR.....and until its proven otherwise you could get stuck with them and a long process to get them to leave......

Would the homeowner have any recourse for vexatious "tenants" like that or are you effectively running the same risk with a licensee as a tenant?

And thank you for your answer btw, it's what I thought might be the case but I'm no expert......just interested....

soz bbz, I did as per the below. You’re the one spouting drivel as evidence to prove a point you are trying to make. Facts are facts, drivel is drivel. I know what I’m spouting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

Just to clarify, when I say the house became my PPR in January this year I mean I actually moved back in and stayed occasionally in one of the bedrooms. As I said previously I haven't been able to spend much time there as I've been looking after an elderly relative in my home town in the north west.

Since mid March when this girl moved in, circumstances have meant that I had to spend most of my time in my home town so I haven't stayed but have been in the house to fix stuff, pick up mail etc., and I moved all my stuff into a spare room that has a mattress if I need to stay over.

Don’t worry, the girl is 100% a licensee. However don’t be afraid to seek proper advice with the exact facts. Any agreement signed is not worth the paper it’s printed on.

Please do not use any RTB templates which imply a different relationship than that of licensee. It probably isn’t worth the hassle since she seems to have stated she will leave on the 23rd.

If you are to enforce removal, please note that you must return her outstanding deposit money as you cannot leave her without, but she is legally in your PPR without permission and you could ring the guards… but prob not worth the hassle…

Best of luck with it and hope you’re relative recovers soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This is happening all the time where there is any tenancy dispute. There are posters who make out the RTB will definitely make this decision and that decision. This is an open and shut case. It's the OP's PPR it's the only house he owns. While he may be outside the rules for RAR relief that is neither here or there. Thus is a licencee arrangement.

OP if your licencee dose not vacate then you pack there belonging with one of the other licencees as a witness and change the locks. You notify them of when and how they can collect there belonging's

Slava Ukrainii

Wrong agin. Did you read the decision? It was found to be a licence. The final paragraph

"Because the Tribunal deems this to be a licence and not a lease agreement, the 2 Notices to Quit do not come within the remit or jurisdiction of the Tribunal to consider ruling on their validity. In cases where a contractual licence exists, the findings reached by this Tribunal does not estop the Respondent Tenants from assessing whether or not they have a valid claim and/or remedy against the Appellant Landlord outside of the scope of the operation of the Act."

You are positinbg that a PPR = licence and and Non PPR= tenancy.

That is wrong.

The can be a licence in a NON-PPR and a lease in a PPR

In all cases the Tribunal looks at how the situation is operating on the ground. It would be impossible to tell how it would play out in the scenario set out in this thread.

Did you not read the judgement. It's a f@@jing limited company is a corporate entity that the ruling was against not against the owner of a PPR.

The revenue's description of a PPR is definitive. The OP fulfills that conditions she is a licencee not a tenant

Slava Ukrainii

Did you read it? The company won the case! There was no judgement against it. The supposed tenant was found to be a licencee.

Just because it was not a PPR did not mean that there couldn't be a licence.

Equally just because it is a PPR doesn't mean there can't be a tenancy!

It was student accomodation. It's OP PPE, he stay there intermittently as he is caring for a relative as well. It's still his main residence. She is a licencee. If she wants to appeal she can do it outside the door.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,076 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think you are playing a little fast and loose with the op’s money when you say that. It isn’t just a matter of designating your PPR for tax purposes, for a license rental to exist, the owner or a close family member has to actually live there. The grey area here of course is that the op did briefly live there before this girl moved in, and retains a room, but could you really argue that the op actually lives there?

The girl may be outside, but the consequence of her being outside may be what op should fear most, an RTB judgement and a query from Revenue about RaR gains. So I don’t see it being as clear cut as you do, why? because it is fairly obvious to most that the op does not live in the house.

Show me a judgement against a house owner who has only one house that is his PPR as defined by revenue. I am not playing fast and loose. There is no case law as there can be no case as it's constitutionally protected.

The RTB guidelines indicate it's a licencee. There is no definitive ruling. Until there is it's a clear cut case of a licencee.

If OP was working away from home living in hotels 3-4 months at the time would this be his PPR and his home. If he retained a room in the house and had other room rented would it be his main residence.

It as clear as it can be. Posters puting up cases which involve student accomodation or corporate entities and using them as case law is disingenous but nobody calls them.out on it.

This is his main residence in Ireland he lives there intermittently due to work and to caring for an elderly relative. Pre January it may have been but since he returned to the country it is. As well none of the other licencees are or will challenge it

Slava Ukrainii

The case I have cited says that "Where a licence agreement is claimed, not only the written form of the licence but the reality of how it is operated (or its substance) must also be examined and the Tribunal is satisfied that the reality as operated on the ground in this given case points clearly to a licence agreement and not a lease agreement."

The burden of proof of a licence is on the claimant not the other way around as you seem to think.

The rent a room scheme operates in a PPR. The revenue accept that where there are 2 conjoined units in a PPR they will allow rent a room relief, which includes not only a tax exemption on the rent but also a CGT exemption.

By contrast the Residential Tenancies Act itself deems the second unit a tenancy. See Section 25. The exemption for a PPR is only made out under Section 3 of the Act which states that the Act does not apply to a dwelling where the landlord also resides.

It is a question of fact whether the landlord resides in the dwelling. See Zhang v. Holohan (17th January 2012, Reference No. TR168/2011/DR92/2011). In that case, the parties were in agreement concerning the following essential facts: the property at issue was a two-bedroom apartment; the tenant had exclusive occupation of one bedroom and non-exclusive occupation of the common areas (in that she shared them with the other tenant); and that the only period during which the landlord had occupied the premises was for a period of three nights after the parties fell into dispute. 29. While the landlord in that case gave evidence that the apartment had previously been his home and while it was agreed that the landlord had resided in the apartment for one period of three nights after the parties fell into dispute, the Tribunal noted that the landlord did not press the argument that the apartment comprised a dwelling within which the landlord was also residing, thereby taking the dwelling outside the scope of the Act by operation of s. 3(2)(g). Nevertheless, in light of the landlord’s claim that all of his possessions were in the apartment, the Tribunal did go on to briefly address that point. In doing so, it recorded its finding, as a matter of fact, that the landlord stayed in the dwelling for only three nights during the 16 month duration of the tenancy at issue. By reference to that finding, the Tribunal expressly rejected the landlord’s claim that he also resided in the dwelling and that, in consequence, the tenant’s claim fell outside the scope of the Act

Again you are not quoting like for like. In this case the OP stays there intermittently, there is only one unit not two therefore so the first bit of waffle is immaterial.

In the Zhang V case the LL was not living there intermittently and only move temporary. It was a two bed unit. He had not held onto a room exclusively for his use like OP has.

Quote case law that is pertinent all the rest is waffling.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

When I look up revenues site: "A Principal Private Residence (PPR) is a house or apartment which you own and occupy as your only, or main, residence."

This is not the case here, he does not occupy it, it is not his main residence or only residence, what definition is it? Something can hardly be a main residence when you live in another county and then live in a different part of the country and don't live in the house at all, no matter if you have a mattress in a room? He has not lived there for years, including living in another country. That could be heavily abused.

Anyway the revenue definition doesn't matter:

s.3(2)(g) is is a dwelling (g) a dwelling “within which the landlord also resides” - he does not reside there.

• Advertisement

That is a student accommodation case - the test in this case is whether the owner also lives in the dwelling not whether there is a licence.

Once a person is in your property you have no right to physically remove them. If they break in you can call the guards. If they are trespassing and causing fear you can call the guards. Essentially in all other circumstances you have to go to RTB/court and eventually get The sheriff with the assistance of the guards to physically remove them. Whether they are a tenant, licencee or whatever is effectively irrelevant once they have not broken the criminal law no one has the right to physically Molest them.

Bass you are not going to find a case with the exact details which the op describes. What has been pointed out to you a few times is that the RTB takes each case on its merits, so saying definitively that a license arrangement when it is obvious to all that the op does not live there, seems odd. CH has pointed out a couple of cases where the adjudicator applied their own interpretation to the dispute, that in itself should be enough to raise a doubt on whether a decision is clear cut. You could be right, but if you aren’t and the op turfs out the girl, it will be another example of internet warriors thinking that the rules on this are clear and unambiguous, they aren’t.

He has quoted pertinent case law as it is clear that the assertion that the retention of goods in the property and not actually living there does not constitute resided with the owner. The OP is not temporarily absent from this property - he has not lived there for many years, he lived abroad and when he returned during covid he lived with an elderly relative. He seems to take little or no part in choosing who does live there as he requires each outgoing occupant to find a replacement.

you are giving him absolutely false hope.

And visa versa is also true. Randomers giving there interpretation of the law as fact. There reason there is no cases is there can be no case. The Zhang case he quoted was probably a case where the owner was living in there partners accomodation. It was not the only house a person owned and that they would live in if other issues had not arose. The OP came home and then had to up sticks to mind a relative.

The interesting thing here is these interpretation's and trying to impose the RTB on all accomodation is the reason we have such a rental house crisis. People are now unwilling to rent houses that are empty and especially those that will be empty short-term.

In this case what will be the out come longterm if some here we're the RTB. The OP woul be in the house more he would probably decide to move 1-2 tenanrs out for his own comfort factor so there is less accomodation available.

Slava Ukrainii

Whoa there, I'm not propsing any molestation

If they are a licensee and they refuse to leave can you not just change locks and leave their stuff outside the door or is that molestation....

Who wants to wait what years/months for a sheriff while they stay for free?

Or who wants to get RTB involved and giving any legitimacy to their claim as a tenant....afaic they are part of the reason there is a shortage of rental accommodation out there.....

No he has not one is student accomodation the other is as I described above the owner wasn't living there they were probably living with there partners.

This is an open and shut licencee case.

Slava Ukrainii

Bass, you’ve been around here long enough to know that the RTB rulings don’t always seem like common sense was applied, and rulings are often made in favour of tenants when they were the once’s who appear to have done most wrong. No doubt there are plenty of LLs who applied your logic, act based on what they think is fair and right, only to find that they were technically wrong. Given the description supplied by the op, it is hard to see why you are unequivocal about your viewpoint, and why the op or anyone else would risk a huge fine by following your advice to kick her out. Again, it is entirely possible that given the fact that the op has lived there for a very brief period over the last several years, why are you so certain that the RTB would see it as a licensee agreement? It at least has the appearance of a tenancy, and that makes it a proposition not entirely without risk to evict her as if she were a guest.

But plough on anyway, it isn’t your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 just_a_gurl

In Zhang -v- Houlihan the LL was guilty of an illegal eviction & then tried to overcome it by claiming a licence - of course the RTB were going to sh!t all over him considering the really crappy behaviour he had engaged in. The Tenant in question was also in residence for over a year AND he had involved her in the interviewing & vetting of the 2nd tenant(s)...he had NOT retained a bedroom for his own, sole EXCLUSIVE use.

Hence why the absolute LAST thing the OP should do he is engage in ANY behaviour that could be viewed as an illegal eviction...

Zhang -v- Houlihan is not regarded as the golden rule. There are other tribunals where Zhang -v- Houlihan was considered "informative" but not definitively indicative of the definition of a tenancy.

Perhaps if the LL in Zhang -v- Houlihan hadn't behaved the way he did, the Tribunal might not have been so inclined to seek "justice" for the tenant. But I guess we'll never know.

Because she is a licencee. There is absolutely no case law pertinent to it being quoted and there will not be because the RTB will not purse such a case as it will not win the case. If he owned another house or was never there it would be a different matter but he lives there intermittently. It's his address for tax and other purposes. He may be outside the RAR rules but it's his house he lives there he owned no other property. He looking after a sick relative. There is no way the RTB will get involved. They cannot win the case. As judge Dennings said in the Birmingham six case any other interpretation bring a ''horrible vista'' into play

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I went back an reread the op, something seemed off. The op says he/she has a 4 bed/2 bath house with short and long term lets, rented to 4 people, each room a separate rental agreement. Can you see why this might counteract your argument? Secondly, what type of tenancy existed while he/she lived abroad, and does the op think that by throwing a mattress into a room, then existing tenants suddenly became licensees, whether they consented to it or not?

Advertisement