Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BlueScully

So I have just been informed by Amazon UK Business off the following ,when I enquired about an inability to place an order and got the following response in their customer service chat:

Christina | Customer Service:

Amazon Business has paused its global exports capability on 14-July.

Me:

Why didn't they notify me ?

And when will it resume?

19:55

Christina | Customer Service

We do not have an estimated target date for re-launching our global exports capability at this moment.

I went on to ask why I received not email notification of this change on policy and she had not response other than sorry for the inconvenience.

I guess its back to AliExpress and eBay for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I was just about to post asking if anyone else is having this problem. I've been unable to order on either of my two Amazon Business accounts for the past week or two. The message is always the same after confirming my delivery address:

"We are unable to dispatch non-digital items internationally to customers identified as businesses. Please choose a domestic delivery address to proceed. You can visit your domestic Amazon store to access millions of products for delivery to your domestic address."

I thought maybe this was something to do with the new fulfilment centre in Baldonnel, but Amazon.ie is still redirecting to Amazon.co.uk.

When I raised it with customer support, they didn't have a good explanation and simply said they would escalate it. This was around 16 July. The message from Christina above is the first sign I've seen that this is a deliberate policy change. Regardless, it's a royal pain - I order regularly Amazon UK because it's one of the few ways to get stuff from the UK on quick delivery without any import hassle.

Presumably non-business customers in Ireland are still being serviced as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

If your business account is a prime account, share the prime benifits with a personal account. (Your Account - Memberships and Subscriptions - Prime Membership settings - Manage membership - Update, Cancel and more - Manage your household). So for now you can still order using your personal account and still get the benifit of your Prime membership.

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Has anyone successfully migrated their business account to personal and kept the prime membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

No need to migrate, just share the account as above.

Cal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Had to cancel prime on business account and open a retail account and re-sign up for prime again and its working.

Seems Amazon Uk don't want to be dealing with all the brexit red tape around VAT on international shipments.

Sure isn't Liz Truss gonna sort all that out and we'll be back up and running in no time..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spacey3

I came across this post, thought I'd add my two cents. I've had business accounts (never prime) and personal accounts, all of them have the VAT number and company details registered to the account. It seems that Amazon have recently changed whatever it is they have done to prevent anyone physically ordering anything with a VAT number.

Once you remove the VAT number it allows you to order the item.

Previously it would allow me to order anything, however if the items value was below £165 then VAT would be removed in it's entirety, and it would be up to me to deal with it when it arrived. Anything above that value it would add 20% GB VAT even if it was in Euros.

Now it seems as someone hinted to they have come unstuck and don't want to deal with it which is why it has restricted anyone purchasing with a VAT number.

The only caveat which was strange is that Amazon Japan is behaving in the same way.

Haven't tried the US yet. To be honest most of the stuff I ever ordered was from Amazon ES/FR/DE/IT as it was always cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

Had the same issue and thanks to the posts above what i did was. Setup a new account, slightly changed address layout, picked a new email address to attach it to. Then after it was setup i went to my prime account and use the details above to share my benefits with my household and picked my new account. And then I was able to order on my new account with free delivery. Thank you to all for the help

Curious, you guys have accounts in Ireland, with Irish VAT numbers linked to the account? If you order from any of the continentals sites rather than UK does it still give you the error message? Or does it do an Intra Community Purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Just placed an order on the amazon.fr and it went through fine, the vat dedected at the checkout.

One thng to watch out for is the express delivery, this ususlly means that it will be dispatched from the UK and vat will be applied after the checkout process. I got caught out on this a few times and I had to log a ticket to get the charge reverted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

I have an Amazon Business account which I use very regularly. This is the standard Amazon account with some Business features like VAT invoices, discounts, etc.

I've tried ordering a ream of paper and a small digital scales this evening and I'm getting the following:

We are unable to dispatch non-digital items internationally to customers identified as businesses. Please choose a domestic delivery address to proceed.

You can visit your domestic Amazon store to access millions of products for delivery to your domestic address.

I'm delivering to my Irish business address as I've done countless times this past 2 or 3 years but I never received this error before. As there's nowhere to set an address as "Business" or "Domestic", I popped over to my personal Amazon UK account and placed the same items in my basket. Surely enough, they'll ship as normal but I'm not sure about the VAT invoice aspect, reclaiming, etc.

Has there been a change recently that stops Amazon or other UK businesses shipping to EU businesses? I rely fairly heavily on this account to keep our costs at a minimum but if this error persists, it's as good as useless.

This is it, I think quietly they have changed and removed anything from the UK in and out. Although anything else intracommunity will remain the same as it was. If you are in Ireland I would suggest you order from one of the EU sites with a valid vat number (always use Keepa to compare the prices on the websites huge differences for ordering things from different EU sites).

As with UK I think we are stuffed at the moment, it looks like anything below the £165 threshold they wanted us to self account for VAT has been removed by Amazon and that you can only order on a personal account so they can levy the VAT.

Anything above the £165 attracts duty and taxes and is shown separately on the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭EarWig

Amazon has opened its long-promised distribution centre in Dublin, allowing the company to offer faster delivery times to Irish customers and bypass some of the restrictions and hurdles imposed by Brexit.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2022/08/04/faster-delivery-removal-of-brexit-barriers-amazon-opens-dublin-distribution-centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wonder if this will mean easier returns ? I have an item to return where the postage will be way more that the value of the item.

EDIT Amazon CS said this :

I wanted to confirm in writing for you that, as we discussed on the chat,

It is too early to tell if you can return any dispatch from amazon order to the fulfillment centre in Ireland. Please also note that orders that dispatches from third party seller can be only returned to the seller facility and not amazon fulfillment centre.

You will need to check every order separately to learn about the return address.

For orders that dispatch form amazon and return reason is amazon error, Any return postage charges that you incur for this return will be refunded to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

LOL, I refused an Amazon package recently because An Post had given the packet a good beating with all the corners pushed in. I thought I'd get an automatic refund but for about 10 days the delivery details have said

Delivered to safe place

PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE,

In the end I got on to Amazon Chat who did a refund but wtf is "Delivered to safe place"

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I got a Delivered To Safe Place message last month with a note that said "side gate" - they threw it over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A friend of mine in NI got the same safe place message when he wasn't at home. The delivery driver left the parcel in the boot of his wife's unlocked car!

But in my case I got the safe place message after I'd refused delivery so the postman didn't leave the item at all and I don't live anywhere near the PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

That's where An Post Amazon returns are delivered to. It will eventually go back to Amazon but that won't show up on the tracking. You'll probably have to ask Amazon for a refund.

Yep thats it but after talking to Amazon in the past I was expecting to get a refund automatically - thats what I was told would happen. I left it about 10 days before I went on chat to ask for a refund but I'm annoyed that it wasn't automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭EarWig

I don't think Amazon do such a bad job managing the BS. Driver fraud, customer fraud.....the problems must be endless.

If they refused or made a refund difficult then that would be another matter.

I've got to the point that I'm reluctant to place an order because I can't face the delivery headaches. The optimist in me says it's an evolving situation and eventually we'll end up with a process that is seamless. The pessimist in me worries that they'll put so many competitors out of business that they won't feel the need to get better.

Do you have Prime? We went from disastrous deliveries with "Fastway" and some very cheap first leg carriers before we had Prime to An Post for nearly all of it once we had Prime. An Post for us is very reliable although I know the same for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Bought a laptop desk so, corresponding dimensions.

Light, but good sized parcel.

Returning it the day of receipt, it's perfect condition, no flaws.

Back in the box all good, printed off return labels from amazon.

Postage - this is the concerning part.

Being a large parcel and sending it tracked potentially, that could add up to being a significant cost?

Am I eligible for refund of postage costs? I believe there's some european statute that if the return is made in 14 days, I am?

Anyone have experience/information on this?

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

In physics we trust....

Do people ever hire a courier to return such packages?

Or typically done through An Post?

In physics we trust....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You are not entitled to a refund on postage for a change of mind. You can return it, but you have to pay.

A parcel that size tracked post costs more than I paid for the item.

I thought Amazon had a bullet proof returns policy (post labels paid); that sucks.

In physics we trust....

Not any more.

You'll only get a prepaid label if it's Amazon's f*ck up.

What is reason for return?

It doesn't suit the intended purpose.

Basically a laptop desk that I bought to use my laptop in bed, but the dimensions are such that it elevates too high and I have to strain my eyes and neck to see the screen.

I thought there was some policy called "blind purchase" where, cause you don't get to inspect the item until you receive it, there was a consumer right to return it provided it's essentially unused?

In physics we trust....

That's a pain.

While the dimensions are published, it can be hard to ascertain suitability on furniture until it's assembled.

Have Amazon specified how much they will contribute towards return postage? You'd also need to check if they insist on you using An Post as I'd say a courier would be cheaper.

Amazon US offer DHL for international returns and I believe they will pick up (as well as you dropping off at their collection points) - might be worth checking out if it's a runner for Amazon UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rataosinho

so lads, no more shopping using business account on amazon uk, isn't it?

i went to the costumer service chat and requested the refund for my item that has been unable to be delivered and the refund for the business service which i paid 100£ for a year and turned out useless after this hecking changing of policy

Advertisement