Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension quote

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jesus that is insane, but also not surprising.

work on ours has started, existing garage is down and foundations will be dug this week. Windows etc have been ordered, could be 8 weeks - could be 16 weeks.

We went through the quote with our architect, the builder, their QS and our QS. Everything is very clear in terms of what we are getting and its a fixed price job. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Shocking figurea for an extension. Thats where we are though i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭society4

Thanks signore….have something similar in mind + new central heating and wrap around ext insulation but I’m obviously dreaming when I see what you’ve been quoted….someone I know in the construction business thinks there will be a recession with building work….I’ve noticed that the builders/skips have disappeared when previously every second house was getting work done. Perhaps demand will lessen and prices drop but could be wishful thinking …..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Trades will become more reasonable but materials won’t be coming down.

I was quoted 5k to paint my 1800 square foot new build. Another 1k for the paint. That’s just silly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

We're into the 3rd week, foundations for the ground floor extension will be poured next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Very exciting! And you’ve a huge back garden! Would you mind sharing what the cost you agreed with your builder in the end? Now that we’ve got plans drawn up, our architect is estimating 400k ex VAT 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Do you have any Constructional Professional certifying these Construction Works???. If yes what Profession???

What an unbelievable filthy dirty unsafe Building Site.

There are many breaches of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013.

You and your family should not enter this very dangerous Construction Site under any circumstances.

If I was the Construction Professional on this Contract, I would stop all works on the site until it is cleaned up and all of the debris removed, and the site made safe for construction workers to walk and work.

Make sure that the Builder has sufficient Employers Liability and Public Liability Insurance.

Many Building Workers are aware that double and triple handling of any materials is one of the greatest waste of resources, especially Plant, Time and Money.

All of the rubble and debris and excavated materials should have been handled only once and immediately placed in to a skip/ lorry and removed off site.

After the concrete foundations are poured I wonder how the Builder is going to remove all the debris and rubble out of the proposed Extension floor area, before installing the hardcore for the proposed floor. Excavators should not be driving over the new foundations. All of the debris should have been removed off site when excavated.

Ensure that the Builder removes all of the rubble and the excavated soil material on top of the debris, all of it, no matter what porkies the Builder makes up, — before the hardcore is brought on site.

None of this debris or rubble or excavated soil should be use as hardcore.

Get your Construction Professional on site immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd agree. Cannot make head nor tail of what is happening there on site.

I can only assume that builder intends to find a place for all that rubble on site to save himself removal costs and save on importing material also.

I suspect he is goin to backfill the floors with it so certainly close supervision needed.

mickdw

i totally agree with you- free rubbish fill.

Construction Professional Instructions require immediately.

helimachoptor

You require Certification for the Proposed Extension if you are obtaining a Loan and you will also require it when you decide to sell your home.

The most important part of the proposed extension that requires Certification in accordance with the Building Regulations is the bearing capacity of the soil at the bottom of the foundation trenches.

If the bearing capacity of the soil is not satisfactory, the concrete foundations may sink and may cause differential movement in the foundations.

Do not trust a Builder with this as he will only be interested in not excavating down deeper to get subsoil with a good bearing capacity, as this reduces construction costs.

Get your Construction Professional, before any foundation concrete is poured, to inspect and test the bearing capacity of the foundation trenches, to check and certify the foundations of the proposed extension.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comments, we're doing a block and beam extension. extension size is 60sqm, but theres a fairly significant drop between the back of the house currently and the end of the extension - almost 2 metres

Our engineer has been out several times (most recently Thursday, to review foundation progress he's happy with the soil (builder had expected to have go deeper), he's recommended some alterations which are minor.

We are going partly through the bank so everyone is clear - there's no cash unless the engineer signs the milestones off. Engineer will be here when foundations are being poured.

Liability insurance etc is all in place, so far a 20cyd roro and 14 cyd skip have been filled.

your profile is private , so drop me a PM and will respond

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Just on the above.

Found out today that the €208k was excluding VAT, while the 196k included VAT.

Getting another quote in, then will get full tender breakdown etc after.

Looking forward to seeing more pics Helimachopter. Hope it all goes well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Why not just hire a guy to dig foundations, a blocklayer ,plasterer,electrician etc.

A guy next door just plonked a couple of mobile homes in his garden and has Eastern european labour working living, just paying cash. The Irish have no interest in work basically.

Its cheaper to get an equity release loan and a personal loan and pay cash than to do it legitimately. Also eliminating the Arch/Qs means your eliminating potential roadblocks to saving money.

I dont think they will like you doing it for a fraction of what others are paying!

That's what we call direct labour which is also done legit with mortgage in most cases.

At some of the prices appearing now in Dublin, you would have to consider direct labour -even if hiring a project manager would likely still make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭SodiumCooled

The prices being mentioned here for extensions are hard to believe. I see 400k ex.VAT and 300k in another post. Now we are rural in the South East not Dublin but to put it in perspective our budget/build cost estimate for an approx 265 sqm A rated new build from green field to at least finishing to a level suitable to move in would be around the 400k ex VAT (our vat level is variable depending on what we are buying or if we are paying someone so roughly speaking).

So that’s 1.5k/ square meter. That’s the minimum we’re being quoted for refurbishment of the existing house. In my case, part of the issue is that refurbishing the existing house costs a similar amount per square meter to the new build areas. Extension areas are 2-2.5k per square meter.

Do you have a breakdown on the costs for the extension i.e. ground works and foundation, block work etc? I ask because our final figure is obviously an estimate but I have actual figures or valid quotes for all work and materials as far as block work completion and it would be interesting to see is there a big difference at this point or is it later in the extension build where costs start to shoot up?

We are targeting a figure of about 1600 per sqm incl VAT (including contingency) - our original target was about 1300 per sqm but we increased that based on prices going up. We don't have much scope for going above this figure so we are very much hoping to come in at around this pricing - it would not be possible without going direct labour though and does take work managing it so it's certainly not for everyone.

The price we have is an estimate from the architect based on the current plans. There is some detail on pc sums, for example, but not broken down by foundations etc. They have advised getting QS but it’s so far out of our budget we’re reluctant to spend more money on a plan that seems impossible to achieve. We want them to simplify the design first.

1600 incl VAT is 1400 without. I really don’t understand how you can get that price when we’re getting estimates from architects (based on recent tenders) of 2k ex VAT or more. Even if we managed ourselves (which we won’t - it would probably end in divorce 😂), it wouldn’t cover the difference. We’re in Galway, so maybe prices just a lot higher here? God knows house prices here are very high.

If we could get 1600 incl VAT, we could do everything we wanted and more so I’m very jealous! I’d even be delighted with 1600 ex VAT.

Thanks and sorry I am not trying to make you jealous or anything like that. The big price differences caught my eye so I was really just trying to see where the differences are - as much out of concern that we are under estimating (though our architect took encouragement to price it at the 1600 for the banks build cost estimate for the mortgage, he was coming in with lower numbers).

I am keeping a detailed cost spreadsheet (including alternative quotes etc) so I will have a detailed picture of the overall costs at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Update:

Got a quote from another guy, his prices are €2,650 per sqm, for the 30sqm extension part. We are getting him to call out to estimate the refurb part.

We have had work done by this guy before, so know he is reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Giving up on extension plans. Costs gone too high. Well technically paused but not sure how there is path ahead. Will have to look into moving.

Really seeing the drop off in construction now in mayo.

Multiple houses stopped at wall plate level and numerous one offs not now starting at all.

Hardware stores are completely dead also.

The sh1t is going to hit the fan. I know Dublin is a different scenario but these prices are not sustainable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

We have a cottage, secured planning for extension, quotes for refurbishment and extension were too high for us. Now on the market..

Last days of Sodom and Gomorrah in the construction world..

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

So you're bypassing planning laws, paying cash, eliminating arch/qs I'd assume to allow the client to cut corners without some pesky professional sticking his nose in and laughingly say Irish people have no interest in work, what you mean is you can't get any Irish trades in for the same price as a few Eastern european lads living rent free in a caravan in Dublin, would you ever go and have a good chat with yourself and stop talking scutter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Christ these extension costs are ridiculous, builders are really making hay while the sun shines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Madness!

This blog from tradesman.ie shows similarly high estimates, albeit with some regional variation: http://blog.tradesmen.ie/2022/05/house-extension-cost-survey-2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You see this where people who have little or no experience in the building trade get caught out. I had an extension built last year and the builder managed it. Yes we had an Engineer certify and pay a few sites visits but it was the minimum just to ensure things were being done to standard. We had an Architect draw it out for us and the builder worked off those drawings. I have no shame in admitting that while some of the payments were made by bank transfer some were also made via cash payments.

I fully agree with you that some lads are just looking for trouble but I also think at this stage that the sector is over regulated when it comes to the young couple trying to put a bedroom on the back of the house or the likes. It's just not the same as a developer building 200 houses at the lowest cost to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Definitely over regulated but a few Eastern european lads in a caravan won't have the same knowledge as your builder has, they won't care as long as they get paid every Friday, I do agree that an experienced builder can replace an engineer on a lot of small jobs

Advertisement