Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2022-Round 13: Hungarian GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The RB pit wall won that race. Perfectly timed pits to undercut. I think Mx gained like 4/5 positions from the pits which is some going and was the winning of the dmrace for him.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That post race interview with Leclerc is kind of sad. Totally broken man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Mattia Benotto giving himself a good talking to after the race 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Hard Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

😂🤣😄

I've obviously nothing better to be doing 🙈

It will be a long four weeks to the next race. I will watch some classic races during the break.

I've a few weeks off work.

I'm thinking of lining up some mercedes sprinters and doing a jump over them. 🤪😉

Don't think about doing it, do it. Name a time and place and I'll show up.

• Advertisement

That's the spirit.........................

......I used to have! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

That was a real champions drive from Max today. He really has matured massively.

Don't understand the flack that Checo is taking. He has 1 win and 5 2nd place finishes. He is 3rd in WDD and only 5 points behind Charles. I think he has done a smashing job this year.

You put 2 great drivers in a great car with a team making good strategic decisions, it's no surprise you will be 100 points ahead in the WCC. Red bull are class with strategy.....it was strategy that enables Max to do a number on Lewis on the last lap of the last race to win the championship last year.

Ferrari are nowhere RedBull in terms of management. It's an awful shame because the car looks good, drivers seem to like it and their drivers are very good. I think Sainz has done pretty fine job for Ferrari. Ferrari is just a basket case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Just can't understand Ferrari, pure stupidity. You can see the tyres are crap. WTF were they at!?

Bad enough having a bad car and bad strategy, but to have a great car and a bad strategy hurts my heart. Really feel for Sainz and LeClerc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I think there is a fundamental issue with Ferrari's strategic philosophy. I don't think they pay close enough attention to what is actually happening on the track but make their decisions based on pre-planned simulations that they stick with no matter what. Last week Carlos was in the middle of overtaking Perez and they started calling him in to box. Today the Alpines were going backwards on the hards and they still went with it for Charles anyway, even though it was clear to everyone the hards were not a good race tyre today at all.

Red Bull on the other hand absolutely react to the evolving race situation on track. They even said they knew the hards were a non runner from the recon lap before the race and adjusted accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think Ferrari reacted to Red Bull today. Badly.

They should have extended on mediums to get into a window to use Softs given how the alpine went on hard compound.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's amazing. Mercedes has no right to be so close to Ferrari on pace alone.

Mercedes probably has the strongest driver pairing on the grid. I would have said the Ferrari boys were top but they have made mistakes. The Mercedes boys are consistently doing really good jobs. The Mercedes team are pure class. Really making the most of their car, flaws and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Saw this comment on the BBC website..

Mr. Saturday – George Russell.

Mr. Sunday – Max Verstappen.

Looking for a job on Monday – Ferrari strategists.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Well put and completely agree, they seem fixated on the data and never seem to watch what's actually unfolding in front of them. Red Bull had planned to start on the hard today based on the data they had gathered, but changed the plan after the laps to the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I was watching an F1TV programme called Radio Rewind for the French GP and they tend to play the team radio in sync with the on-board and Sainz was told to box on the second part of the back straight, not on the approach to the pit entry as it might appear.

It's interesting we didn't hear the Ferrari pit lane discussing every plan from A to F-up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

They should rename formuladank to ferraridank at this stage. Such a goldmine of great memes. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Watched the highlights again today. That’s probably Max’s best drive, he was clinical and so damn fast.

As for Ferrari…the decisions they are making are why Alonso and Vettel left, they are a shambles.

Vettel left because his performance fell off a cliff and he couldn't command a huge salary anymore. Ferrari told him he'd need to take a huge pay cut, he said he wasn't interested in that and that's as far as the negotiation went.

He didn't leave because they are a shambles, he left because he was a shambles and they didn't want to pay. They gave him a car to challenge for the championship in 2018 and that was down to his poor performance. Then he was beaten by a rookie for 2 years (scored a quarter of Leclerc's points in the second year).

Ferrari are having a howler this year with reliability and strategy, but let's not pretend vettel didn't balls up a title challenge and then get hammered by a rookie over 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Vettel wasn’t free of sin during his time at Ferrari, but they are equally in the boo box during his time as well. They are doing the same more or less with Leclerc.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

let us all know what you really think .

you never could hide your hatred of Vettel.

Four time world champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

I like Seb but his time with Ferrari was not good, and the longer it went on the worse it got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Vettel created a title challenge by driving the wheels off a car that had no right to be challenging the dominant Mercedes, his performances were superb. The team failed and blamed the driver, as has been Ferrari's modus operandi for decades. He was evenly matched with Leclerc when he came in, but then Leclerc has shown himself to be head and shoulders above the rest of the field other than Verstappen so there's no great shame in that and it doesn't represent a poor performance from Vettel, just like Prost's performances were still great even though he was evenly matched by the younger Senna in the same car. Ferrari did their best to end Prost's career too shortly after that by giving him a terrible car then sacking him, but he came back and proved he was still a class act and a world champion by winning the title with Williams afterwards. Vettel never had that opportunity at Aston Martin but stick him in any of the top three teams currently and he'd comfortably beat any of those 6 drivers other than Max and Charles and he'd be well capable of fighting for the title.

Obviously, as you're so keen to home in on, Seb didn't turn up and kill himself for the team in a dreadful car in 2020 after Binotto had stabbed him in the back but you can't base your view of his entire career on one outlier year under exceptional circumstances, as much as you really want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

Oh agreed, a big falling out especially in his last year.

but the Ham Fan quoted here can only turn the hate dial upto 11 for certain drivers.

Ferrari have proven yet again that sh1tting the bed is their party trick as LeClerc is now realizing.

some great racing and tactics on sunday though with 3-4 team realistically in for the win.

I really like vettel. Comes across as a really sound man. I admire his activism and his retirement statement showed that his identity is broader than his job. He also wants to be a good husband, father and create a better world. All very admirable traits.

The think you seem to have missed is that my assessment of his driving is not a direct reflection of how much I like and admire him.

Does everything have to be so simplistic to you? If you like a driver's personality do you say they're a brilliant driver and vise versa?

• Advertisement

That's silly. Ferrari gave him a title challenging car in 2018 and he almost mounted a title challenge. He had Kimi phoning it in as his teammate he resisted getting leclerc to replace Kimi. He knew is wouldn't be as good for his career to have a hungry, fast driver instead of a slow former world champion who he could compare favourably against (it's funny that everyone recognises thats what stroll is doing now. Trying to compare favourably beside an aging former world champion) . He was playing it clever.

He wasn't just beaten by leclerc in 2020, he was trounced. He ended up scoring a quarter of Leclerc's points total. That's Ricciardo vs norris this year level of disparity in performance.

I don't doubt his speed in the first half of his career. But I also don't doubt his huge plunge in performance in the last few years since the second half of 2018.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement