Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Which will be more than offset when it's in operational phase, so what is your point? And before you say electric bus's the construction of said bus's and the batteries that come with them and also fleet renewal would generate more emissions over a 40 year period easily

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭prunudo

My point is, I don't think we should be using decarbonising as a reason to build it. It has many more merits than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Avoiding carbon fines at national level is a neat political trick to help"sell" metrolink to rural taxpayers. It's hardly a reason many of us want it built but it is a valid reason and can be used to soften the blow of spending so much if Dublin's own tax revenues on itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

They could tell them the EU want a metro in every EU capital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Who are "Jaspers" and in what way are they independent?

Reads to me like a report commissioned to give some political cover for mothballing another infrastructure project.

same gobshoites head to London and New York and wax lyrical about underground transport systems...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Interesting. So a sort of advisory quango. Not your usual external consultants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Another anti-Metrolink article given prominent coverage in the Sunday Independent yesterday. It's pretty clear that officials in the Department of Public Expenditure are briefing heavily against the project. Coupled with the fact that Minister McGrath has spoken against the project in public and reportedly spoke against it at Cabinet, it's pretty clear he's doing his best to hobble the entire project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paul2019

If they're going to scrap it, I hope they do so sooner rather than later so we can get back to doing what we do best - designing metros from scratch after spending hundreds of millions on previous schemes that get given the chop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

To achieve maximum wastage of public funds scrapage has to happen after the RO is granted. Which will be the end of 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paul2019

Spot on. I may have jumped the gun there a bit. It's just that we've had the same Metrolink plan for years and everyone must be so bored with it by now.

But surely it must be past time for a brand new FULL study of Greater Dublin's transport needs.

We could have lots and lots of UK consultants producing another really expensive glossy report with loads of graphs, tables and sexy pictures of foreign metros. Only the highest production values to be used.

That should buy the government another 5 to 10 years of inertia and you can't put a price on that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we keep on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This is looking like a dead duck now, last month it was 10 billion odd and this month its 23 billion. Someone is working hard to scuttle the project, I dont even think it would have gotten accepted at 10 billion anyway. But 23bn is just off the charts, cities have hosted the Olympics AND built the infrastructure like metro lines to go with it for less than that.

Its insane stuff and you wouldnt know what to believe at this stage. All I know is pre pandemic it was at 3bn with perhaps 4bn being realistic due to the construction inflation that happened in the Childrens Hospital. But this latest figure of 23 billion being thrown about is barmy, its gotten to the point that you'd now be getting better value out of building a nuclear power plant than this 19 kilometre metro which I never thought Id say.

It doesnt help either than this firm Jaspers already do work for the European Investment Bank in advising on the spending of EU structural funds. This now gives politicians opposed to the project a perfect hook to hang their hat on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is looking like a dead duck now, last month it was 10 billion odd and this month its 23 billion.  Someone is working hard to scuttle the project, I dont even think it would have gotten accepted at 10 billion anyway.

It has been accepted.

Also "unknown unknowns might push it to 23B" is a frankly both a phenomenally stupid and phenomenally pointless comment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yeah I do think it is important to point out that the Cabinet have approved the project as is, it is advancing despite the best efforts of Minister McGrath and his officials. Advocates will have to keep the publicity and arguments going though all the same, it's clear there are those who will not let up in their efforts to undermine the entire project.

It's not in Cork. Feels transport investment is too focused on Dublin, Cork still hasn't got it's own Luas yet and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sure “unknown unknowns” could push it to €100bn.

Why not go with that?

Maybe even €100bn and 900,000 deaths during construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

"Both reports also expressed concern that the metro system will duplicate existing bus and Luas services along parts of the route, particularly the city centre and Ballymun, which could undermine the viability of other public transport services."

Wow. The upside-down logic here is astounding. Developed countries don't behave like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Sure the Luas will be going out to Finglas... hard to think they'd conveniently forget...oh well, I'll vote for those who pursue MetroLink for what it is, not much else I can do I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Absolutely bizarre statement. Completely normal for metros to replace bus and tram routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VeryOwl

Ah, so that's where Varadkar got his crazy figure from. Not content with overseeing the cancelling Metro once, he's gearing up to do his piece to cancel it again. €24 billion for a basic metro line is not credible. It's a remarkably stupid figure.

A bananas sentiment, at odds with how properly-run cities conceptualise their transport networks, but entirely consistent with why our public transport is such a shambles. These people are determined to ensure we don't get enjoy basic amnesties and have liveable cities we can be proud of. Someone earlier in the thread got it exactly right - gawking lovingly at metro systems in other countries - and then tutting we're getting ahead of ourselves when anyone suggest we build something for ourselves.

The best antidote to that brand of cynicism and small-mindedness is getting something done. If public transport in Ireland wasn't a landfill of glossy PDFs and broken promises, these vultures would have nothing to peck at. The critics have shut up about Luas and DART, so perhaps if we can scrape this over the line they'll move onto decrying something else we're apparently undeserving of having.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭prunudo

If this gets scrapped again, something has to change, there is something very rotten at the core of how we cannot deliver large infrastructure projects. Waste multi millions on consultants and plans but never a shovel in the ground.

I know officially its still going ahead but its wrong that senior politicians and civil servants are allowed sow the seeds of doubt off the record and hide behind reporters 'sources'. I hope I'm wrong but we've been here before and the soundings aren't good. I've always said that part of the planning team, there should be a much stronger pro metro pr campaign to put the negativity too bed quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

MMcG always seemed like a misery guts. Will there be a full reshuffle when the Taoiseach changes?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would expect so. However, the given ministries will likely remain in the gift of the same parties. Small moves may happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

MMcG swapping with Pascal could be good, I'm sure a north Dublin TD would be beneficial to Metrolink.

As long the North Dublin TD is not a member of Na Fianna GAA club.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Now that I think of it, things aren't looking good in December when Varadkar becomes the Taoiseach. I hope the c**t doesn't start talking down Metrolink.

Advertisement