Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journo given 15months for sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

So he would be as well off picking up a paid hooker instead so...as they would have both being in the same mindset

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Madd002

I'm so mad since I heard this at lunch.

I'm a woman and that girl obviously has a screw loose. you dont snog the face off a guy all night go back to his and engage in sexual activity more than likely half naked and doze off for a couple hours and when she finds said guy fondling her breasts she automatically becomes a prude. This happens in every relationship when drink is taken someone is in the mood and fondles the other awake hoping for the ride. And the fact that he stopped as soon as she said no goes to show you he was a decent enough bloke. He even met her for an hour to talk after she said she wasn't comfortable with what happened. And WHY wait for a year to shop him. The whole story stinks and her victim impact is bullshit, she freezes when she becomes intimate your either in the mood or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

To be fair this wasn't a relationship he had just met her, so it was out of line to wake her up that way.

I showed it to my partner who's as feminist and woke as they come and she said the victim impact statement was OTT and that he was wrong and he did his best to recover the situation. He f*cked up but I don't think the guy is a predator ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

No. She was asleep. How is that so difficult to understand? It's the lack of control, the fact someone is doing things to you while you are asleep? That you are aware off? The fact you can't help but question what else they would have done if you don't wake up?

How can you not comprehend how horrible this would have been for her?

Do you think it's ok to touch someone while they are asleep? That's what this case comes down to, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

There’s a growing trend of men avoiding marriage because the costs are too high. However, most men think that the alternative of hook-up culture carries no costs. This case demonstrates that hook-up culture can carry huge risks. It’s all ‘I want nothing serious’ until you end up in court, lose your job or have your character ruined. 

There’s a generation of young women brought up to think that men are the enemy and the cause of all their problems. Make a wrong move and all of this anger will be projected onto you. Look at the glee of some posters to see a man's life being ruined.

Men need to value their self-respect and career before risking it all on a one-night stand with women they don't know well.

• Advertisement

Not buying it one bit, imagine if it were her that was the horny one and fondled him to wake up. It would've ended in sex not a prison sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

that's a bit silly and presumptuous, I've woken up with people I shouldn't have and didn't want to sleep with after getting absolutely wankered and the last thing I'd want to do is have sex with them when I woke up beside them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Would you ring the guards a year later to report them?

Well she should've accepted that after she said no he stopped so that for me is a genuine guy he didnt carry on pestering her and he dropped her home and met with her next day so obviously that says something about him. The apologies should've happened and a line drawn there not a year later there's definitely more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have often had one night stands where in the morning the girl was fondling me as a bit of a wake up and looking for round 2.

If only I had known. We may have been exchanging bodily fluids all night but in the morning she was in fact assaulting me and I should have been traumatised.

I would also like to apologise to all those girls who have ever slept beside me. There is a very high chance that at some point during the night I will have turned over in my sleep and my arse may have touched against hers. Who is assaulting who there I am not quite sure, but as the man I guess it will default to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think it's a very harsh sentence.

This wasn't a platonic friend staying in the guestroom and he entered her room and bed uninvited.

They met that night and she felt comfortable enough to return to his house, get intimate and fall asleep in his bed. He tried it on again she said no he stopped and she continued to sleep in his bed.

I've had similar happen to me and at no point did I ever consider it an assault.

If I felt things were moving in a direction I wasn't comfortable with l got out of the bed, got dressed called a taxi and went home....I certainly didn't remain in their bed.

He was also a friend of a friend of hers....there's just something about this case that has an American revenge movie feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

this comment equates someone breaking into someone’s house and assaulting them as they sleep with someone attempting to resume consensual sexual activity, and stopping once the other party indicates unwillingness. Context is important.

More than likely they were probably naked/half-naked in bed anyway so their bodies would be touching involuntary as some stages while both sleeping in the same bed

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

She woke up with him on top of her groping her.

She wouldn't consent ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

How do a lot of (established) couples initiate sex? Often one party will start caressing / fondling their partner hoping to get them in the mood. Now that’s apparently all sexual assault. (Not saying it’s the same for people who’ve just met)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

She must have been very comfortable sharing a bed with him ..he wasn't banished to the couch for her to sleep it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I said this at the time of the verdict - it's pretty much a textbook example for a consent class.

People who drag victims down alleyways know they're breaking the law, and consent classes will be worthless for people like that.

But I bet that never in a million years did this guy imagine that what he did would get him in so much trouble. And there's many more like him, who never imagined that what they did amounted to assault or rape, yet they're convicted.

If nothing else, information about what the laws actually say, and information about the absolute legal sh!tstorm you can bring upon yourself by 'taking a chance' like this would be valuable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

People can subjectivily agree or disagree with the severity of sentence. They're also free to subjectively think that the sentence should have been more or less lenient than a comparable case.

That's not whataboutery, that's just having an opinion. There's no objectively appropriate sentence for any crime, so people will always differ in their assessments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

The way that current clown world is trundling along, it won't be long before certain people will demand that anybody else voicing any sort of opinion that differs from theirs gets a maximum custodial sentence of 15 years, never mind 15 months.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭standardg60

Are you male? Seriously i doubt there's a male on here who hasn't been in the same situation, be it ONS or relationship.

I certainly have in both scenarios, should i be handing myself in?

This is utterly ridiculous in any semblance of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Hard disagree with the opinions here.

There's an understanding when you go home with someone, engage in foreplay, sleep in the same bed that you don't need to ask permission for basic physical contact.

He got on top of her, fondled her breasts. She woke and said stop. He stopped. He wasn't planning on having sex while she was asleep.

If he woke up and cuddled into her, that would be called sexual assault too because she was asleep.

Vast majority of sexual contact is initiated through actions, not by asking for permission.

Watch yourselves out there lads, there be some women out there who'll ruin your life for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Outrageously harsh but what's more astonishing is just how gullible the guy was

He should have sent her packing once she got an attack of buyers remorse, she had no business being in his bed after that

Once she began demanding a get together to discuss what happened ,he should have ceased all contact, instead he text her ( and met her ) so a recorded correspondence existed

He then sang like a bird to the cops

It should never have gone near court if he had even an ounce of sense ,he was like a fish who hopped into the net willingly

He worked for RTE so probably bought into the whole WOKE BS and gormlessly sacrificed himself at the feet of a vindictive woman ,had he kept away from her after that night and denied everything when the guards came knocking, the thing would never gotten near court

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Presumably the sentence will be appealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Even the act of foreplay, people kiss, they move their hand to other places. It's what happens and its natural.

According to the priests and nuns on here you should be asking permission. So if you're kissing you should then ask if you have permission to touch tit, or touch their leg and so on.

It's like these people are socially inept. Everything has to be black and white. There's no room for reading between the lines.

Exactly to last few comments especially where if u cuddle up half naked etc hand goes round touch breast spoon man hand lands on penis. I just think it's a big sentence for a silly mistake there are far worse things being done for lesser sentences.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He admitted it and accepted the verdict.

What more do you actually want?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yes I am a male. One that lives in the real world where I don't believe I can just mount a woman and grab her tits while she sleeps.

Do you believe what he did was sexual assault, yes or no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I totally agree with you, he should have got a solicitor earlier on, should not have co-operated with the Garda investigation and never agreed ot meet her to discuss any issues post the ons , very naive and gullible chap

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement