Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weekend photos

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ah now I don’t think she’d appreciate being called a horse!!!

the little lad would be happily called a monkey though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,774 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A few pics from a fabulous weekend spent at Mullaghmore SC regatta. What a spectacular place to go sailing!!

Today's lovely view

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wednesday night in Howth

Gonna probably take a spin down to Greystones this weekend.. would love to do Carlingford, but still probably a bit too far for herself & the young lad to stomach in 1 leg....

My god this weather is epic though!!! I'd say the bay will be busy on Saturday!!

• Advertisement

The public slip in howth last night was jammers with boats, kayakers and idiot jetskiers. trailers all over the place but thankfully all bar 1 idiot were parked properly. Reckon Saturday & Sunday its gonna be chaos and the idiots will be out in force. Hope the rnli boats have the tanks topped up

Funny you mention that as I was in Malahide yesterday evening doing a few bits on board, and noticed a load of teenagers on RIB's & Jet Ski's bombing around outside and inside the marina... 1 young lad in particular was acting the proper maggot inside the marina on a jet ski!!!, and ironically enough at about the same time I got the Malahide Marina newsletter which mentioned about complaints received of folk not observing the speed limits in the harbour & marina....

Saw a RIB too coming in at about 20 knots through the moorings and only slowed down as he got to the marina entrance...

Then what looked to be a huge fire out on the sea or beach just outside the estuary.... (Fire brigade came so assume it was the beach)

Mother of god those jet ski's and the noise they make is so annoying!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

been like that the last few weekends all over lough derg as well. far less rental boats around but a lot more kids in speedboats and jetski's

They're a pain the ass. We have them flying in and out of howth and then going in around the marina and moorings. Busy days over at irelands eye and they're in at full speed around the anchored speeds or flying up through a fleet of boats racing.

On way to Dun Laoghaire for an isora and this Norweigans just off the Bailey ploding along in a gentle breeze

• Advertisement

Squibs in Howth on Sunday

I passed the Squibs on Saturday heading south (dipped below their leeward marks so as not to interfere, though was well clear by the time they made the marks anyway), and passed them again on Sunday as they were all heading into the harbour after racing.. then arrived into Malahide to see quite a few Howth boats there, so must have been an event of some sort....

anyway, passed this big monstrosity in the anchorage in Dublin Bay on Saturday..

The Gibney race from Howth was on in Malahide. Poor turnout for it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

A couple of photos of the Cong to Galway race on Saturday. It had been postponed earlier in the summer due to storm force winds. Unfortunately, it was the opposite problem this time out with virtually no wind.

Since there wasn’t a lot happening on the water, I found out where @Faerdan was hiding and cashed in on his lunch. 😁

Here come the cavalry...

Early finish:

This evening. My first time sailing my boat solo. 😀

Few from Cape Town. The ketch is a monster called Asgard. Believe the grey had just hit the water. A southern wind 96

The Ocean Race fleet on the hard in Cape Town

Got down to the boats and race village on Thursday. Race village was closed for safety due to high winds in Cape Town but the boats were easy to get and see. Not many around and I don't think many locally even know its happening

West Cork

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sailed up from Greystones yesterday for the Bray Air Display and anchored. Worth the spin just for the Red Arrows.

Seen on the River Liffey this morning… (photos lifted from Facebook)

That time of year...

Heading for the trailer.

Oh dear..... any indication what happened?

Always a sad sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

My guess would be a skin fitting failed. The usual cause for that is electrolysis/poor anode connections.

There was a photo of her in the Afloat article less full of water and a line to shore, so perhaps indeed she started taking on water quite fast and headed for the nearest land, which is the wall, despite being quite rocky!!

That far up the river they'd have been motoring for around ~15 minutes or so from the Poolbeg lighthouse, so possibly engine related too?

I wonder what happens now as although it's on the bottom, it could very easily get washed out into the channel and become a hazard to shipping! especially with the rig still standing.

I had thought from the initial photo you posted that she'd come off a mooring - and according to an Afloat article this morning, that's what happened.

Nightmare scenario for the owner - but between currents and wash from shipping those moorings must be under awful pressure.

Must be a clontarf boat

• Advertisement

I assume it's a Poolbeg one, from the moorings just east of the East Link

Advertisement