Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Theoretical Cork Suburban/Commuter Lines

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If they want to turn LI into a major P&R site they need to expand the parking. Only around 80 spaces there at the moment. The original plans for Dunkettle P&R were for 400+ spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

You'll get another 20-30 into the Overflow too, but true. But they seem to have abandoned the original Dunkettle P&R ambitions: the proposed land was vetoes and used for the Dunkettle Interchange itself.

The other thing is it's reasonably counter-intuitive to take M8 drivers "East in order to travel West". Little Island is also not even the optimum East Cork P&R, Glounthaune is.

So I'd prefer any M8 P&R to be in Tivoli tbh, at least in the medium-term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭notAMember

I'm in favour of side-by-side also, but I was left scratching my head with what ended up being the design at some of the entry and exit points on the Cork greenway. In particular, the blackrock station. There is now a reinstated bridge from one side to another. However, from the platforms they have consumed more than half of the "track" area with ramps. 2 platforms have 2 sets of steps and 3 access ramps between them. The remaining greenway space between the platforms and ramps looks like a very narrow space now.

Very accessible for cyclists and pedestrians, but no space for future infra.

I've seen plenty people complaining about it but haven't visited in person yet myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Just thinking that the new free flow to the city centre will send people east to go west anyway if they want to head into Tivoli so the Little Island station would become the natural place quickly?

It could, yep. My money's still on a lot of people exiting the M8 and rat-running through Glanmire though, because I know so many people doing that right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Only way that'll happen is when they finally build a new line between Drogheda and Heuston via Dublin Airport and allow through services from Cork to Belfast via Heuston and Dublin Airport, so the existing Drogheda to Connolly line can be DART only and the Belfadt trains can move at a reasonable speed without getting stuck behind darts. But that's easily 3 or 4 bn euros and there's no political appetite for serious public transport spending yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Belfast to Airport to Heuston mainline train is bit too far north for this thread.

Cork may be the Real Capital for some. but Dublin and Drogheda are yet to be classified as suburbs of Cork or part of the commuter belt of Cork.

If you wish to, open a new thread to discuss this idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Seeing as this is a theoretical thread - my god I'd love for the commuter rail network to expand up to Fermoy, maybe even Mitchelstown.

The amount of cars leaving this "corridor" in the morning to go to work in the city or Little Island is madness. Unfortunately, the bus service, the 245, is hourly, pretty unreliable, and very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Surely the 245 route could be made more frequent, more reliable, and cheaper quite easily - almost at the stroke of a pen.

Why is this not done? Are the buses empty, or are they very slow?

I don't know, to be honest. I've attempted to get answers, I've written to a few TDs, to the Minister for Transport, to Bus Eireann, to NTA etc, no real solid replies. €14 return from Fermoy to Cork city centre. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Surely that’s the cash fare?

Have you not got a LEAP card?

That will be less.

A day return ticket (available from the driver) is €11 not €14 per the BE website.

They don't take LEAP cards, which is madness.

You're right that an online ticket is €11 return though, my bad. Thing is, that's still an outrageous price when you consider a return fare between Cork and Mallow is about half of that.

They certainly DO take LEAP cards on the 245 and 245x.

LEAP is accepted on all Bus Éireann operated PSO bus routes and has been for several years now.

LEAP can also be used on all Bus Éireann Expressway routes but the normal fare will apply.

Cork/Mallow is also €11 day return on the 243 so I don’t know where you’re getting the notion that it is half the Fermoy fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Probably talking about the rail fare which is €3.90 one way as far as I know.

Post edited by Pablo Escobar on

• Advertisement

The train from Cork to Mallow is €9.10 single and €15.15 day return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Leap is €3.90 as per last May…..apparently. I haven’t tried it.

I stand corrected - they did indeed extend the suburban rail fares matrix to Mallow in May!

But the bus fare scale remains the same as before for both Mallow and Fermoy.

That doesn’t always follow.

Sallins & Naas, Balbriggan and Kilcock are all in the more heavily subsidised short hop zone around Dublin for rail travel, but the buses are principally on the higher Bus Éireann fare scale.

As I said before, you can use LEAP on the 245 and 245X and save some money.

• Advertisement

I don't believe you can. I have tried before. Maybe it has changed since though. Any chance of a link where I can check the actual fare with a LEAP card? Any I come across only cover city and suburban services, pitiful as they are.

I still think that it should be changed to match the LEAP fare on the Mallow to Cork rail link. We should be encouraging people to get out there and use the bus service that is available and try and increase the frequency. You're pointing out, rightly, what the current state of play is, I'm pointing out what I'd like it to be (as unrealistic as it might be, which is kinda sad really, a cheap bus fare from Fermoy to Cork shouldn't be unrealistic!).

Anyway.

For the FOURTH TIME, you can use LEAP pay-as-you-go on any Bus Éireann service across the country, and have been able to do so since 2019. I really shouldn’t have to repeat this again. FYI I have been doing it all over the country all summer, and I did it pre-Covid too.

For both the 245 and 245X the LEAP adult single fare between Cork and Fermoy is EUR 5.95.

You can also get a “Cork Green Zone Ticket” which allows unlimited travel between Fermoy and Cork, on Cork City and Suburban services. (see the bottom of this page https://buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=412)

2 options are available for adults:

• 24 Hours - EUR 12.00
    • 7 Days - EUR 49.60

These can be bought online via the LEAP Top-Up app or from the driver on the bus, or as a mobile ticket via the TFI GO app.

To check any fare go onto the Bus Éireann website, click on the Fare Finder tab, enter the route number, the to/from bus stops and then click “Find Fare”.

The full list of tickets and fares for that trip will appear including the LEAP fare.

Wow. Calm down, no need to shout, it's not a good look. If message boards make you this angry then maybe take a step back. If you don't want to repeat something feel free to step out of the thread.

Anyway, fair dues for providing the information. I learned a couple of things, primary among them being that the BE fare structure is kinda all over the place.

My initial point about it being in or around €11/12 return for a Cork-Fermoy ticket, whether that be with using a LEAP card or not, still stands. I wish it didn't but there you go.

Advertisement