Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport Lounge- Which would you recommend?

• 20-07-2022 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭

Which lounge would you recommend at Dublin Airport?

Never been and looking for a treat

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

The Lounges in Dublin are not the best, I would avoid the Aer Lingus Lounge especially if you are paying for it. If you are going to the US 51st & Green is not bad but they are an expensive treat with poor offerings. That's just my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Dublin lounges aren’t worth the money if you are paying for it. Aer Lingus lounge is nice surroundings but not if you pay for it. 51st and Green is handy for transatlantic. It’s offerings are in a word terrible. The only saving Grace is a decent coffee. Breakfast is awful buffet.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

The lounges aren't great but they're not that expensive. I usually find that by the time you have food and a drink in the airport you've spent the same as what you would have in the lounge, but you have quieter surroundings, better wifi etc.

Also, you don't really have much choice of lounge in Dublin, it's either the general one or your airlines one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The East Lounge is decent enough, if you're eligible for it.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

We flew business class to the US at xmas 2021, a xmas treat. After the long US clearance Q's we had 30 mins in the T2 lounge (after US preclearance). It was 12pm, hardly any food, didnt mind as we'd get fed on the plane. But the place was packed, lucky to even get a seat. Kids running around, teenagers shouting, ... it was a mess. I have used lounges before mainly for work in other countries and they felt like luxury ... but not Dublin. I would not pay for it, I would only use it when flying business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

51&G was better before the pandemic but it's still pretty average, just about worth the 35 quid if you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tea2

I find the lounges in dublin are grand if you are at the airport regularly and need a space to sit, work or read. They’re very functional and not really destinations to visit for a treat. If you were connecting in dublin and had a multi-hour layover, I’d recommend any of them, but I wouldn’t recommend going to the airport early just to use them. Would suggest you save your money and spend the 30 euro or so a head on a treat at your destination.

Completely agree on the DAA T1 lounge.

A few weeks ago I had access from a business class Icelandair flight and was refused entry because it was full.

Not impressed by that given that it was supposed to be included with my ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Do they all only have a 2 alcoholic drink maximum?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Worth going to if included in your ticket or if you fly a lot and want to avoid most of the madness of the airport, but as a treat I don't think I couldn't recommended any of them to be honest. I mostly use the Aer Lingus one as I have status but it's nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

I was in this lougnue last week. It used to be the Etihad lounge, and back then it was very good. Hot meals, food menu, free flowing champagne. Then it became Emirates, rebrand but the same services. Then covid closed it and it is now open again but shared by a few airline.

The hot food is now a soup. The Champagne is no prosecco and the meals are sandwiches. I had a shower last week there and it was handy. I wouldn't pay for it unless I was getting a good few drinks before the flight, which I don't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The 51st & Green is my favourite, especially since the options after pre-clearance are pretty rubbish. Bright and spacious, even if food options aren't great.

The T1 lounge has gone down a lot since Covid IMO. Just feels like they realised they can get away with providing a lot less.

Not sure any of them are worth paying for unless you've got five or six hours to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Are lounges anywhere worth it?

I'm mostly limited to Northern European travel, and through various cards, statuses etc have access to lots of lounges over the past 5 or 7 years. Glasgow, LHR, DUB, EDI, AMS, Eindhoven, Marseille, Gothenburg etc.

...and all have the same poor selection of soggy mini pastries, biscuits etc. I don't drink, so can't take advantage of the alcohol. The only thing they are useful as is a quiet place to work.

I used to commute back and forth DUB-DXB-SIN, and can say that the Emirates lounge in DXB was/is great.

It's the entire top floor of the terminal. It has lots of space, quality buffet food (and a wide selection of it), showers, and my personal favourite – an ice cream cart.

I don't have EK status any more but the next time I connect through DXB I'll seriously consider paying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Blut2

Lounges in major international hubs are generally a lot better in my experience. +1 to DXB's EK lounge being great. Getting to board the plane straight from the lounge, and not queue at all with the economy passengers, is also something very cool to add to Noxegon's list.

Asian hubs are generally good too, but even American airports tend to have decent ones too.

I think its just that so much European traffic is point to point shorthaul, and/or low cost airlines. A major focus for airports here is keeping costs down to keep airport surcharges down, and we have far fewer business class passengers with long connection times.

It's a separate topic, but I think it's unfortunate that there's virtually no short haul business class (or for that matter premium economy) out of Dublin.

When it exists in the direction I'm travelling to then I'm generally prepared to pay for it (for example Icelandair).

I cannot be the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Proper business as in not 3+3 seating? Any EI operated A321NEO to/from LHR has the best seat on all short haul business narrow body anywhere, let down by the catering.

Most business travel polices have a total ban on business or a +6 hour flight clause, I've never been entitled to fly business

Icelandair is 2+2 for business on their flights.

I think the very fact that 3+3 with an empty seat exists is indicative of the fact that larger people are going to be cramped in standard economy. I've had plenty of short haul flights where the arm of the person next to me ends up in my space due to their physical proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Blut2

Any company I've ever worked for has a +4 hour rule for business class flights, I believe thats a fairly common cutoff point too. But even that rules out almost every European flight route from DUB, unless I can somehow convince a boss to send me to Cyprus or Tenerife for work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Agree, the access from the lounge to the boarding gate is great. I was disappointed with the Singapore Airlines lounge - felt busy. BA lounge in T5 in Heathrow Is a zoo at times.

Favourite is the dedicated business class Air Canada lounge in Toronto - table service meals.

• Advertisement

51&G has the added perk of being a terrific place to plane spot.

But agreed overall, the lounge products in DUB are very much so-so, just spent a decent chunk of time in AF's T2F lounge and that is very, very nice. The comp facial massage is a great amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,770 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you have a good lounge yes.

one in CPH I used all be it around 7/8 years ago was excellent…

because of the time I finished my work at, beside the airport… It wasn’t worth my while heading into the city but I had 4 hours to kill from getting to the terminal to the flight departure.

You can or could choose from nice soup, huge fresh sandwiches, delicious canapés, selection of cheeses, mini burgers which were other worldly nice….great array of drinks… you pulled your own glass of beer..self serve beer taps…. They didn’t have pint glasses though 😂, only halves.

Always thought if DUB did something replicating it, it would make a killing..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I used to go Prioritypass, and I may end up with status from KLM this year, but I gave up on Lounges pre-pandemic when I flew out of Stansted and the hot food option was four different types of pasta.

Cheap and nasty, I figured I would rather spend the €15-odd that I worked out it cost me per Lounge visit, on a meal somewhere in the terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The best lounge at Dublin is the platinum wing.

I wouldn't use it every day but it's good for when your off on special holidays or events.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I got into the Aer Lingus lounge free recently and was really disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mark077916

I'm going to book the East Lounge, can anyone tell me if the complimentary 2 drinks is enforced?

I wont be taking the p - but id' like to get more than just two drinks!

The East Lounge has gone downhill post-COVID. It's still the best of the bunch, but it's not a patch on some of the business lounges in places like DXB or DOH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

For a coupld using a lot of US airports this summer on honeymoon

Is there membership of any club you can recommend to avail of all lounges while travelling the US?

Or must you pay for each one individually?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You can sign up to something like Priority Pass but realistically, unless you're talking about 10 visits to lounges, you're probably better off just paying as you go.

• Advertisement

What airports are you going through & what airlines?

Advertisement