Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport Lounge- Which would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

All United Airlines flights from Ireland

Dublin-London- Florida- Chicago-San Francisco- Las Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I have not found US lounges to be particularly great with the notable exception of the Admiral’s Club higher tier lounge in Miami. They are not particularly relaxing and the food is mixed at best.

One thing I like about US airports is the interesting chats you can have and some nice craft beers at the terminal bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

United lounge access is $59 per person per visit assuming you don’t have United/Star Alloance status and not flying business or first. It’s unlikely that it’s worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Agree on the airport bars - people are very chatty, always a good way to pass an hour.

not sure what it is but defo friendlier than downtown bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Can you just walk to these lounges and pay as you go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I'm flying out of Terminal 1 in a few weeks, and the ticket comes with lounge access to the T1 lounge, which from what I can tell is the worst of a bad bunch, not even any hot food.

Might not be the best place to ask, but can anyone recommend anywhere in Terminal 1 for breakfast? A quick look online and Marquette looks like the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

What is the food like the T2 Lounge in the afternoon/evening? The daa website says snacks but that's a little vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Terrible. Biscuits, scones and breads I think. Much better to go to the T1 lounge about a 3 minute walk away from the T2 lounge. That lounge tends to be busier so the offering is better. T2 lounge doesn't get much usage because most people flying from T2 will either use the Aer Lingus lounge or else the lounge after pre-clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

There were definitely little sandwiches there when I was last in, I'm going to say in May of this year.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The lounge after pre-clearance (51 and green) is fairly crap too. I found the food offering fairly mediocre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Another option is the East Lounge? Used to have a hot option and I think it’s now discounted slightly for the afternoons.

You don’t need to be flying “east”

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

They don’t care. Most people are business travel and can’t be boozing in the lounge.

as others have said, dublin lounges are not great. Places like American/United in Chicago. Or Minneapolis are a class or 5 above.

51st and Green is not worth paying for. 35 euro I think. I would not pay it with my own money. It’s better than nothing when flying business. But would rather have a coffee in the bar whiskey & bread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

If you can get into W&B. I've never seen less than 10 in the queue for it.

51&G is great value if you value the barista coffee, drinks & middling food along with it being somewhat quieter than the terminal.

It was better when they had hard copies of the IT and packets of Tayto, but they do now at least have draught Guinness.

I'm curious what lounges in MSP or ORD you'd rank above it outside of AA's Flagship or UA's Polaris in ORD.

Not sure that I understand what your question is.

United Polaris in o'hare: 10 showers, 20 plus toilets, restaurant, buffet, full service bar, cocktails. Similar for AA. These are so far ahead of Dublin.

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Me and the missis when heading away even going from T2 would go to the bar in T 1 so she can vape. I take it these lounges don't have access to people who smoke or vape.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

Turkish lounge in Istanbul is top class. Only negative is that you have to book the shower at a counter and there might be a few hours wait.

Dublin business lounges are rubbish I found. Either run out of food anytime i was in 51st, rock hard stale scones and only snacks in T1.

Correct. I have not seen anywhere in a lounge for smoking/vaping

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Smokers are too niche a market to spend money on satisfying, and in some cases the lounges are not in a place where outside access is possible - being completely indoors for instance.

If smokers were a viable market there would be an Aspire-like private firm having premium smoking lounges in airports where outdoor access is available. There isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

T1 lounge had a hot breakfast in it when I went through 2 weeks ago. That was a nice change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Blut2

Plenty of other airports do exactly this with entirely indoors smoking lounges set up for smokers, though. The below image is from DXB, where they're regularly very busy. So there apparently is a market for it:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Middle East has more smoker and less rules.

If there was money in it, there'd be a high end smokers lounge in ORD/ATL/LHR/AMS/FRA. There isn't

"Smoking loungies are only viable in certain regions" is a very different argument to your original "smoking lounges are not viable anywhere", though.

And its not accurate, either - there are smoking lounges in Geneva, Kentucky and Nashville airports off the top of my head. Presumably plenty more too. AMS even had one until 2020, when it was closed due to government regulation, not a lack of demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Such a lounge would be illegal in the Irish legal context as smoking indoors in any kind of business premises is banned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

They have a smoking lounge/bar in MIA. Anytime we flying out of T2 we go to the bar in T1 so she can vape and others can smoke then make our way back to T2 for the departure.

A smoking area somewhere is not a premium lounge; that bit of my point has been rather missed. T1 has a smoking area, its not in a premium lounge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Might have been Schiphol or Frankfurt where the "smokers lounge" was just a glass case in a corridor. The smell anywhere near it was vile and the difference in colour of the suspended ceiling inside versus outside was also not pretty.

It wasn't missed, that point is also wrong. They exist - and exist outside of the Middle East at that. This is the Graycliff smoking lounge in BNA in Nashville, its not exactly a dingy "smoking area" like in T1:

It is missed that the OP didn't ask a single question on smoking , dingy or swanky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They had one in Munich airport before the Bavarian smoking ban came in. It made the whole part of the terminal smell. Funny though to see all the smokers inside it in their own little happy fog though.

Advertisement