Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands heatwave media coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,913 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

When it comes to money and profit these renewable energy companies are more than delighted to keep fossil fuels as well. Under the green back EU marginal pricing policy even if these companies were providing 95%+ of our electricity from renewables, (which were being touted as cheaper for household than fossil fuels), it would make no difference to the price. Renewables are paid at the same price as the most expensive component in the production mix, which means for Ireland they are being paid the natural gas price rate and are laughing all the way to the bank. It`s a close as makes no difference to a Ponzi scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nah, COVID research taught me more than I'll ever learn from a self-appointed internet expert and boy was there some really bad stuff there, some very good stuff too. TBH if all you plan to do is trot out all of this you've already lost any argument you were intending to have with the public. They do not like to be lectured to get their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Butson

I think Covid was the last straw with the mainstream media for a small section of the public.

I used to be a total news junkie, of the opinion that you have to know what's going on in the world we live in. Nonsense. I don't consume any of it anymore. Try it. You will be a lot happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So, looking at today's 1pm Rte Weather bulletin, Leinster will have/had a max of 28, but she said temperatures today are generally 16 to 22 across the country.

Did it actually reach 30 anywhere over the last few days?

After all this:

I'm actually shocked and disappointed it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭trashcan

Aul Jim can’t have been feeling the heat too bad, what with him out lighting bonfires last week !

Maybe it’s just me, but, while it’s been warm the last few days, I can recall summers when It’s felt much more sweltering. Where you’d have to have fans on in the house. Haven’t felt the need for that in the last week.

In all fairness, they can’t win either ways.

This is what happens when you get the kind of coverage the threadstarter wants:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/rte-boss-apologises-over-weather-24622917

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

At the same time they know better than anyone else that the stuff is going to be harder to extract in years to come as they run out of easy oil. They'll eventually have to have an alternative ready to convert people to when that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Every government and media organisation blames their own country's citizens. This is all part of the frenzy and hysteria they want to brew up - sounds like you've swallowed it all whole and there's no going back.

Saw this very eloquently presented video the other day with an interesting idea about how it was the big oil companies (i.e. the biggest perpetrators) that started the idea of having a "carbon footprint". Very compelling:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Primetime beating the doom drum now using words like climate suicide and using red warning propaganda labelling everywhere. Also throw in the doom voice over. Utter scum.

None of the RTE presenters have issues with dropping 80k on a electric car or spending thousands on retrofitting houses funnily enough all on the public purse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,670 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Eamon Ryan couldn't have had a possibly better week before he announces what cuts are going to be made to emissions in various sectors of industry. No doubt Joe Public will be hit most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Very anti farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This is why RTE have been so over the top this time around.

They didnt overhype the nice weather last year.....that didnt fit the agenda so RTE news boss had to come out and apologise and say it wouldnt happen again....

That explains the hysteria this time...they are even giving staff lessons on climate !

Joke organisation....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

No need to apologise this year RTE, your campaign of terrorising people with climate change fear is in full swing....."doubled down" as you said you would......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

BBC 10 o'clock news reporting that one of the fires on the outskirts of London started in the backgarden of a house. Also warning people to be careful with barbeques.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

State of some beaches after people, inevitably the BuH deRes No BInnnns comments. Take your sh1te home with you, you filthy animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Fires in Greater London with some houses burned down - a wet dream for sky news. I'd say RTE are raging that we don't have something similar here (as long as it's not their houses in South Dublin)

At the same time as hyping up the climate emergency, the media has a long history of failing to call out hypocrisy and lack of practical measures. RTE have long been asleep regarding:

- the continual delays in introducing feed in tariffs for electricity microgeneration

-the absurdly low 12 square metre limit for planning exempt solar panel installations which is only now (well, hopefully) bring changed after years of farting about.

-Electric Ireland's low usage standing charge which only ended a couple of months ago after a decade of penalising customers for not using enough electricity.

-the public sector conference circuit which has started again post Covid with the Environmental Protection Agency organising various in person conferences, seminars and "launches" on CLIMATE, water, radon etc. These events involve public servants travelling from all over the country in single occupancy private cars to attend while claiming generous (even with current fuel prices) mileage and subsistence

-the delays in introducing smoky coal legislation for the entire country. Introduced for Dublin in the 1980s. How many people have died from COPD etc. over the decades thanks to this failure?

The media do not call out politicians on their bullsh*t, In fact the media function as useful idiots for our authorities and politicians to distract, deflect blame, and fudge issues. Our health service is in a heap as it has been for decades? Ah, Covid.

Water shortages necessitating hosepipe bans and night time pressure reduction? Ah, droughts caused by climate change. Nevermind the decades of underinvestment in water services infrastructure, shambolic delivery of services by local councils and failure to take account of increased demand due to population increase/inward migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The public really needs to be more clearly informed of what this will all mean to their pockets and how we will get there. Info on Carbon Tax is still very vague. Cuts are not where the disagreements or challenges lie, it's the level of cuts and the Rural TDs are actually OK with a number of 22% for agriculture but are pushing back against 30%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

"Averting climate change" is really a massive transfer of wealth from ordinary citizens to large corporations. It's all about gouging people of their hard earned cash for carbon taxes, useless heat pumps, EVs etc.

Post edited by namloc1980 on

A very drizzly cool wet day here....can we get RTE to do a 6pm outside broadcast in this shìt today, maybe roll out John Sweeney to tell us about the dangers of climate change and the HEAT APOCALYPSE....

Fùck off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

There is a big difference between a weather forecast accurate and not and RTE using terms like "Climate Apocalypse" and showing pictures of house fires in Britain. I watched an interview with a French firefighter yesterday and he suspected several of the fires were started by people intentionally, not sure why anyone would knowingly danger life like that but any BBC or RTE pieces I read not one mentioned at least the possibility that some were started intentionally, wouldn't suit the narrative so they leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Kay Burley on Sky News has repeatedly stated this morning that the house fires were caused by climate change. By this she obviously means anthropogenic climate change.

Really Kay, it's a bit more complex than that. We don't even know what started the fires yet. Could have been started by idiotic behaviour or deliberately. If some sick fcuk was thinking about starting a fire, the media's hype about record high temperature and "tinderbox" conditions could encourage them.

13% of Australian bushfires started deliberately with another 37% suspicious,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50400851

You don't need record temperatures for a vegetation fire to spread and destroy property. But of course the media is continually looking for angles and links.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Question for all regarding Nuclear:

where in Ireland would you build it (them) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

The North West no doubt. The only time they'd get any "investment" there.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

There's very little balance on here between both sides.

The last few days since Saturday was weather. A perfectly positioned low pressure off the azores steered up a 'Spanish Plume' and we got a direct enough hit on Monday. Alignments fitted perfectly. 33C. For anyone questioning the 1887 33.3C figure, that has been well verified. We could have went higher on Monday with an hour more sunshine at the Phoenix Park. Just cloud came in around 4pm.

HOWEVER. I've been plotting temperature graphs at Irish stations with CSO data back to 1957. Basically monthly and yearly average temperatures for our main weather stations. The graph is on an upward curve everywhere in terms warmth, especially since 2000. You get the odd year like 1986 and 2010, which is a cold anomaly. But Climate Change is real here. It mightn't be that noticeable, as in a 9C wet February day is now a 10C wet February day. But 1C rise is a lot, especially as most of it is since 2000. The real figures are found by analysing data over centuries.

For those saying we're only recording temperatures around 200 years, the Royal Society in the UK has exact measurements to one tenth of a degree since 1659.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Media coverage: "Climate change is going to be like the new covid"

They're desperate for disasters to keep people watching

Can't wait for the lads to come in and start blathering on about how Project Veritas CGI'd this guy or put a gun to his head out just of shot 🤣

Advertisement