Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

No, the compensation is independent (and in addition to) the refund process. You can (and should) claim this separately.

This Citizen's Information page outlines the compensation conditions and amount you will be entitled to. Use this page on the Aer Lingus website to claim (select 'EC261/2004 Entitlement' in the Issue section).

The airline has to (and will) pay the compensation without fuss if you meet the criteria. It's required by law. However, they will never tell you about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you want to take the work out of it, I've used this service before: https://www.airhelp.com/en-ie/flight-cancellation-compensation/

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. They will take a cut out of your compensation.

With Aer Lingus, it's literally just one online form. I've had to claim from them a few times, and they have always paid without fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Just to drop in my own thoughts: I flew with KLM recently a few times on the Cork route and I can't recommend them highly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 jewel22

I always try to fly out of Cork Airport if possible. It is my local Airport and I always find the staff so helpful. On Monday afternoon I recieved an email from Aerlingus cancelling my return flight from Amsterdam to Cork on the 24th of July. I had originally booked to depart Cork this morning the 20th of July. After numerous calls to Aer Lingus I have rebooked my flights for the 17th to the 21st of August. I have been charged €216 for changing my flights. I have since been told that I should not have been charged. I have tried to contact Aer Lingus again but have been put on hold and then told that their system is down. I have sent an email on Monday evening but the email is yet to be replied to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ryanair have released their summer 2023 already for the usual holiday routes which is earlier than usual (it's usually Sept)

I would try the online chat with an agent.

Login early if you can, think its open from 7AM.

You should absolutely not have been charged. Refer to my earlier post (#3752) for a link to the Citizen's Information page. You are also owed compensation. This is separate from (and in addition to) any refund or rebooking. Be sure to claim it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jewel22

Thanks for the reply it was very helpful. I have now completed the compensation form and returned it to Aer Lingus this afternoon. I sent them a letter of complaint regarding the charges of €216 on Monday but have yet to recieve a reply. As a previous poster suggested I am going to try the live chat early tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

Anyone else struggling to pre-book parking at the moment? Seems to be all drive-up?

Still loads of spaces available in drive-up. Might be a glitch on the booking website maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

What’s the story with EI’s winter schedule? Destinations like Malaga and Tenerife were always bookable by now each summer for December/January. Lanzarote is bookable. Are they really going to drop Malaga and Tenerife? Seems like something is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

We always go to Malaga during the winter period - normally with EI but we've actually booked with Ryanair for November while flights were reasonable. Got fed up of waiting for EI to post their schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

Anyone who goes to Berlin regularly, does it make more sense to fly to Frankfurt and then connect to Berlin with Lufthansa, or would I be better off going LHR / AMS with BA or KLM?

The train is 5hrs form frankfurt, flight is 1.5. But a few weeks ago when I was on the train in germany they were delayed and jammed with their 9 euro thing.

Such a pain in the backside the amount of connecting needed for europe, it wastes a lot of time for short trips like conferences. I need to go to hamburg, hannover and munich in the next 6 months, and the only German airport served from cork is frankfurt 3 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I thought that Cork to Frankfurt was a summer only route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭thomil

Honestly, I'd go through AMS with KLM. Even with the current troubles, the KLM hub operation at Amsterdam is still one of the smoothest in Europe, helped of course by the fact that everything is in one terminal building. Just make sure you plan a 2 hour transfer window to account for any hiccups or delays. I used to do this all the time when visiting my parents and am even doing so nowadays for business trips.

When it comes to taking the train from Frankfurt to Berlin, you'll need to keep in mind that the train you need might not actually depart from Frankfurt Airport train station but from Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof, the central railway station, so you'd need to get your luggage, catch an S-Bahn to Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof and then catch the train to Berlin.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

Thanks, yeah I catch that KLM flight regularly enough, it’s just so ungodly early I always try to find any alternative route as the connections mean I end up losing a whole day to travel anyway. Prefer not to lose half a nights sleep as well. The London flights are a couple of hours later in the morning.

Well I got refunded for my cancelled flight but nothing regarding compensation for cancellation on short notice. I take it this could take a while?

• Advertisement

Ryanair flights to Bordeaux pulled for the winter. Not surprising. I thought it was a bizarre choice for an all year round route from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

When should we know full winter schedule for Cork airport? Mainly looking are Air France continuing the CDG route or is just Vueling to Orly for the winter?

Just Orly I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I've asked before but anyone think Swiss will run Cork Geneva again this winter? They only announced it in November last year which was crazy late, most people had ski flights long since booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fjr13

It's starting on Sat 24 dec, running weekly as last year.Its been available to book now for some weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Quiet times at the moment haha. What would we like to see for new route announcements next year?

I'd like to see:

Bucket and spade; Malta, Zadar, Cyprus, Ibiza, Santorini, Porto, Lisbon, Barcelona.

Citylink: Brussles, Berlin, Budapest, Naples, Prague, Athens, Krakow, Vienna, Bratislava, Copenhagen, Budapest, Bucharest

UK: Glasgow, Bristol, Cardiff, Newquay, LBA, London City

Long haul: Istanbul, JFK, Newark, Logan

Fantasy: Philedelphia, Toronto, Montreal, Abu Dhabi, Doha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It's a very nice but I feel very long and unlikely bucketlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Lovely bucket list. Id say best bet from it would be lisbon and maybe bristol/cardiff. Id throw madrid in there too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Important to bear in mind that 11 of those (Providence counting for Logan) have operated in the last 5 years, and at least 18 months of that was quiet at the airport including a complete 10 week closure.

Delta were considering JFK on a 757 pre-Covid. Would be wonderful for them to consider coming again. They’d have a US monopoly in the city with substantial operations by tens of US companies. Seems to be a massive opening there for them if they want to take it. Such a pity the options for the airlines are so limited by the runway length.

Badly need EI Regional to set their sights on Cork again. Ryanair have filled in the gaps to an extent but not the same as the regular service on the ATRs. Multiple daily flights to Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Glasgow was some asset to the airport.

Advertisement