Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Thanks, I was wondering if that was still the current plan.

Those people waiting at the far end of the platform in Tara Street, for example, look, to me, like much more than 63m away, but that must be my eyesight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Colm McCarthy is a Pound Shop Robert Moses.

He was in favour of building a motorway on top of Sandymount Strand. Because it was 'cheaper than the DART'.

Fook the beach and what it provides to the city. This is his mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The sooner he shuffles off to retirement the better- he’s a cantankerous stream of drizzling misery- never has anything remotely positive or constructive to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

That is a great video. They should show it in schools. Infrastructure like this is going to benefit the young far more than old fogies like Colm McCarthy and Michael McDowell and if students can get active politically over climate change, then why not this as well?

O'Connell Street, in my childhood, was touted as the 'widest street in Europe'. It now has the LUAS running along one side (the Western Side).

It seems to me that there is the median, and the whole Eastern side of the street, in which to dig a hole near to Abbey Street (perhaps the North Earl Street to Abbey Street section), to provide a really excellent connection to both the Red and Green Lines, and pretty much the entire bus service. This need not impact considerably on the running of either of the tram lines during construction.

Building the metro station behind the Carlton Cinema facade, well away from the Red Line (and where a big hole will have to be dug anyway, for the station, even if it's being done without, apparently 'causing disruption') is very much, in my opinion, a long-term false economy.

We should expect disruption to bus services on the Eastern side of the street during such construction. Other cities manage this kind of stuff, one way or t'other, and solutions are found.

How can Dublin expect to come up with a disruption-free line which is also a good one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

But then there'd be a very short distance between it and the Tara station. There's no doubt that it would mean more disruption than the carlton option. In any case this is settled, the carlton site will be the location, no point going over it again.

On a separate note I wonder who will get the contract to provide mobile phone signal in the tunnels. I was shocked to learn that berlin brought mobile phone signal to the u bahn in 1995. I remember when they brought it into London Underground the British media acted like it was a global innovation. Then again they acted this way with smoking bans and plastic bag tax, as if it hasn't been already long in place on neighbouring countries

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Moving the O'Connell St station further south would rule out using Tara Street station.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Has any consideration been given to having remote entrances? i.e. you still have to cover 300 or 400m to get to the platform, but you do that walk under cover instead of being either baked alive or drowned. Very common in Munich and Prague

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

Yes though the MetroLink team is so worried about project scope creep and high costs that none have been included in the final design. IMHO that's the right decision. We can always go back and add these things in future if necessary. Let's get this metro built first and moving passengers before we go bolting on any more potential issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In a way stopping at Charlemont does a bit of resisting mission creep. It will be relatively easy, once it opens to get the line out to Sandyford.

Whether it is by joining north of Charlemont and onto the existing bridge or by tunnelling further south and avoiding Dunville Ave, it is easy to sort out once the obvious benefit of the metro over Luas becomes clear to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭p_haugh

And it gives them the option to alter the route further south (*IF* it comes to that). Ideally, however, they'll continue with the planned upgrade of the green line to metro standard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The south section of Metrolink (the bit involving the green line upgrade), while it is low hanging fruit and would be a nice to have, is not essential in my opinion. The route is already very well served by public transport given that it was the first part of Dublin to get a functioning (and still very efficient) light rail connection. Prioritising parts of the city not already served by light rail should be the main goal of future transport planning, especially when local residents are opposed to it. There's far worse fates than having to suffer with existing excellent green line services.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fair enough, but we have also taken very short-sighted approaches to infrastructure (M50 for one) which went on to cost us dearly later and forever detract from how that infrastructure can operate even after it is upgraded to what it should have been.

On the red line they built platforms which were longer than the tiny little first batch of trams ordered, which was just as well as they had no idea how big the passenger demand would be. (How could their forecasts have been so far out?)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Who told you O'Connell Street was the widest in Europe? This seems wildly untrue and shouldn't be used as a basis for anything.

I think O'Connell Bridge might have some record for 'width divided by length' but that's a different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

O'Connell Bridge is wider than it is long which is unusual. O'Connell is certainly quite wide, though it doesn't hold any records.

None of this has much relevance to the problems of digging up one half of the street for years. Nor that it is apparently impossible to get from there to Tara Street.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we get back on topic please.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The thing is we need to get out of the mentality that high capacity rail only has a catchment area 1km either side of it. If the Green line was upgraded to flow seamlessly into Metrolink, we would see a complete reorientation of most bus routes in south and south east Dublin to bring people as quickly as possible to a Metrolink station rather than into and out of the city. It would be the quickest way to improve public transport in a large swathe of the county. Notwithstanding the fact I believe Green line conversion to Metrolink should be prioritised, a completely new tunnelled branch to Tallaght through areas completely unserved by rail should definitely be a high priority. Personally I think the Red Line could and should be upgraded to metro standard over time. A surprising amount of it is already off street.

My childhood was a long time ago, but I think it was very possibly Mr John Hinde, of the postcards.

• Advertisement

Just because a poster says that it would thus 'not be possible to get to Tara Street', in the posts above, does not make it impossible. Or anywhere near so.

Do we, for example, have any word in the metrolink.ie documentation on this? It is very unclear where in the metrolink documentation one might find some information about their choice of a location which is quite remote from the Red Line.

It seems at the moment, to the naked eye, that the location was chosen because the developer was making it available.

These vehicles - if they are going to be like the current trams - can probably do quite sharp turns, like the trams do at, say, the top and bottom of Dawson Street. So, the main question is, can the tunnelling machines do so too? Any metrolink documentation I've seen is silent on this.

As I said above, the disruption will pass, but poor connections will remain for the lifetime of the metro.

@strassenwo!f The design is fixed at this point and is about to go to ABP. It will not be changed at this point.

The best thing that could happen is the TBM to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It didn't happen with Green line, I don't really see why it would happen for an upgraded green line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Would love to see a second metro line running from Tallaght to Beaumont, the green line luas extended from Harcourt to UCD and the green line from Sandyford to Charlemont upgraded and integrated with the planned metrolink. Then a radical expansion of the luas in Central Dublin before any further suburban branches are added, certainly a second east-west line on the south side is needed, the red line is now completely full for the entire day between James's and Connolly

That being said, just build metrolink now and pursue other projects in parallel. Too much time wasted already.

BusConnects didn't exist when the green line was built and to be honest even if it had it probably wouldn't have been wise to do it as the green line was already pretty much at capacity (hence the lengthening of trams) as it's a line if sight system with at grade sections limiting the throughput along the whole route. In short, the green line is perfectly adequate for the existing catchment area but if upgraded that catchment area could be widened significantly through BusConnects. If metrolink is actually built we will see that happening on the Northside probably from day one and it will seem a no brainer to upgrade the green line to implement the same on the southside and bring tens of thousands into a one change to the city centre or airport system. Don't even need to upgrade the tricky stuff south of Sandyford initially (or at all really). Just treat the Luas south of Sandyford as another feeder to metrolink like the buses.

Mod: This thread is for the existing plan that has got Gov approval for the business case and is due to go to ABP for a railway order in Sept 2022.

Please post crayon diagrams, route suggestions, change plans etc. in the appropriate threads - there are a few to choose from.

Further off topic posts will be deleted, and sanctions could follow.

Thank you.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

@murphaph Mod: Post deleted. Did you not read the mod post directly before your post?

No, I started typing my response before you posted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I believe you live in Germany. The last few posts here have pointed out the ignorance and idiocy of the public at large. I assume this idiocy is not facilitated in germany?

I am in a second world country at the moment, they have a rail link to an airport that serves 4 million people a year. Its 40km from the nearest city. That kip Dublin? I have to get a taxi from dundrum, because any other option is a farce! Unless you are staying very short term, parking at airport is out...

Advertisement