Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

There was alright, but none of it went on too long (bar the optional glyphs which I avoided for that reason) - The things that got me were having to swap to Spectral with no indication (Tomb of the Sarafan, I'm looking at you)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was a good first effort. Pity the development was cut so short and they never got to make a sequel and improve on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Not a fan of SR2 and Defiance then?! :D (BO2, yeah, that didn't happen)

I'd love a reboot or a new version of the games. The story is one of the best, though it does go a bit loopy near the end, as most time travel ones though. About two hours into SR2 now - It's lost some of the magic that SR1 had, but the controls are tighter, better camera control, better combat, and not as many block puzzles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Had a few friends over yesterday and it turned into a bit of an impromptu gaming night - arcade machines on and getting tons of use for the first time in ages. My friend's girlfriend who doesn't play videogames at all sat down to have a go on the Pony as a matter of interest and was there for a solid 30 - 40 minutes playing through shmups having an absolute blast - I love seeing people who aren't really into games discovering a genre that just clicks with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Been playing a lot of Lemmings lately and really enjoying it. The game gets vicious in the taxing difficulty but I'm on level 27 of 30 so nearly there. I can just imagine how much worse the 30 Mayhem levels are going to get. It really is a classic.

I've been using the Lemmix player which makes the PC DOS version playable in a modern OS and supports all the official lemmings games and mission packs. It also has a frameskip function which speeds the game up a good bit.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Absolutely loving Shin Megami Tensei V, reckon it's the best RPG I've played in years. The battle system is fantastic fun and the soundtrack is absolutely Brilliant. Would go so far as to say it's the best game on the Switch IMO.

Have the fear now that I'm getting close to the end. I see Persona 4 is getting a Switch port so that should take over nicely once I need to move on. (I've started it about 3 times but always ended up putting it down)

And I've finished Lemmings. I was worried it would get stupid hard in the later levels but other than 2 or 3 levels it never really got mean and some of the level solutions were quite fiendish. It really is an all time classic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Is it real time combat and are there any other locations other than the desert looking area that most reviews show? Not sure I could look at that for the entire game.

Not sure about the areas, but the combat is turn based but SMT games also have one of the best turn based battle systems for a RPG that far eclipses the likes of FF.

Master of the Universe

Its turn based alright, I can't be dealing with real time RPG combat. 😂

There are quite a few different locations and they're all really interesting and lots of fun to explore. Visually the areas get a bit darker the further you get into the game. There are also some locations in modern Tokyo too.

100%. Every battle you have to think too (Unless you're massively overlevelled), none of the phoning it in type battles in FF where you just keep pressing attack. You can accidentally be caught unawares by a few regular demons roaming about and killed.

• Advertisement

Atlus have absolutely perfected the turn based combat since SMT3. The Press Turn system and all it's iterations since have been an absolute revelation. Every fight is a challenge or else managing your sparse resources between save points but also the fights are relatively quick. It's like every battle has the potential to either badly damage or wipe the party but you also have the tools to get out of the party without taking a hit or relatively little damage if you play it right. I've not played a rpg with a real time combat system that comes close to what Atlus are doing.

I'm still holding out for that SMTV PC version that was in the Nvidia leak which has so far been 100% on the money.

Playing a lot of Klonoa in the recent remaster. I can't reiterate just how good a game it is. It's one of the best platformers ever made and has all the magic from a PS1 Namco game when they were doing their best work. The Soundtrack and atmosphere is just incredible but it's the gameplay that elevates it. It's fast, responsive and the light puzzle elements are great. It's pretty much essential.

Master of the Universe

I found the Wii release of Klonoa while going through my PS2 games recently, I think you actually recommended we all pick it up, years and years ago.

Yeah it was impossible to find but France got a lot more copies. I ended up not playing it either. The Remaster is a HD version of the Wii release, still looks gorgeous, and a remaster of Klonoa 2, not sure how much that differs but the PS2 game was a bit of a looker.

Glad I finally gave it a proper go after listening to Jermey Parish singing its praise on retronauts for years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've played the first few levels of Klonoa one and it's... fine? I mean, it plays pretty well and all, but haven't seen anything that elevates it beyond an above average 90s platformer yet. But it's early, will see how things pick up later on and in the sequel.

I think this more than fine. Plays way nicer than most platformers, has bags of charm and the level design gets really good later. I never played more than the first two levels but sitting down to it this time and it's really clicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Haven't posted here in a while! Been playing Turtles and Ufouria on the NES, trying to finish both.

Never finished turtles as a kid, did get past the seaweed level though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The yays win it for me, I'm going to put in a click and collect order for Klonoa on the Switch. Feels like a good fit for the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Remasters are much handier in terms of accessibility, as both Klonoas (not sure of the Wiimake) can be annoying to emulate. Will buy it next week, have only just finished convincing the other half that Samus Returns (3DS) was an essential purchase. In fairness, it was, as that game is starting to get expensive and I stupidly left it too late to get around to buying it.

I'm halfway into Luigi's Mansion 2 having missed out first time and it's everything I'd hoped it would be — charming, endless inventive and decently-paced. 100% agree with the sentiment (I think it was IGN?) that Nintendo channeled their LucaArts fandom into it in terms of the puzzles. The gyro-aiming, however, can be a pain — I get why it was necessary at time but it doesn't make it any easier cartwheeling the console trying to aim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played a bit more of Klonoa this evening and to be fair the level design improves as it goes on and the maps become more complex. Level 3-2 particularly dials up the inventiveness in the 2.5D space with a looping, overlapping map.

• Advertisement

Yep it gets more complex as the game goes on and there's some incredible boss battles throughout. I love how the game actually makes use of the 2.5D graphics, it's not just for fancy camera angles.

I beat the game tonight as well as the bastard hard extra vision. Wonderful game. Even the story gets quite dark with a bittersweet ending . It's nothing amazing but took me by surprise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember it on release, it was fantastic but no one seemed to buy it.

I have it still for the PS, but must pick this one up, physical copy if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I ordered the remake from Smyths last night, but put on the PS version via Mister after and it's pretty nice. Not too much polygon wobble, great music and fun platforming.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I'll prob get shot for saying this but I've been playing a lot of TMNT Shredders Revenge on the game pass. Just good old fashioned fun, passes the time by without realising.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dublinandy3

It's technically a new game on a new console, albeit with homage to a classic.

True but we aren't that bad here :D we like new games as well!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You are a bit of a louser though, not the rest of us, just you...

You are a 5/10 poster here, at best

That's 1 less than 6/10 which makes me almost as good as the greatest megadrive game ever made so I'll take it.

• Advertisement

LoD FTW!

Advertisement