Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gray Man

• 24-05-2022 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭

Netflix's most expensive movie to date, at an apparent budget of $200m. Directed by the Russo Brothers and has a solid cast (Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Rege Jean Page, Dhanush for the South Asian market, Billy Bob Thornton). Released on 22 July.

For me, seems extremely generic and low on plot considering the fact it's a new IP and they've assembled that level of cast. Chris Evans seems to be having fun though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I know it is a liitle thing however the way Alfre Woodard put the cigarette in her mouth @ 1.11 turned me off the whole thing and I know it's only a split second scene I just went to myself pretentious bollix from the Russo's with their £200m budget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

$200 million? That's insane and with the recent subscription / stock price plummet I'd hope Netflix start to wind their neck in a little with these (vanity) projects. I can't look at this, then hear of department closures, cancellations or job losses and think cool.

This looks slick, empty and utterly artless, and the timing of releasing this a day after the newest Mission Impossible trailer only serves to highlight how flaccid this latest action blockbuster is. This was a bad marketing decision.

But what do I know? Red Notice apparently broke records for Netflix so presumably all those people paring socks, posting to Instagram, or checking football scores while "watching" stuff like this will be happy enough.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That feels like a Captain America Winter Soldier fightey type feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks fun to me!

Red Notice was an odd one....it was dreadful (well the 10 minutes I watched) but two more on the way someone must have liked it...

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Chris as the hamming it up cool villain looks dumb fun

• Advertisement

200 million on generic nonsense by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Had no idea it was that expensive when I first saw the trailer... Netflix really have lost the run of themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As I said in my own post, balanced against their financial woes it's insane this is the kind of money they throw around on these projects. (Though to be fair, I think this had shot before the recent subscription and stock price drops). Of course Gosling and Evans will get their payday for this - god knows if the rest of the crew will, given Netflix's fondness to (apparently) screw crews over with their contracts.

Netflix have started the push with this, releasing a "full" clip of some action. The smoke and dust looks very CGI, which ain't great; nor was the quippy dialogue. Or indeed the action itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It says everything about Netflix's current strategy that I had to bump this thread up from page 3 eight days before the release of its new $200m blockbuster. Zero hype.

• Advertisement

Yup, I've seen almost zero promotion, and only because some reviews started to trickle in via outlets I read or letterboxd that I even know this is about to be released. But something like Stranger Things had countdowns, trailers- all sorts of hype; I'd love to know why these over-budgeted movies receive none of that kind of support.

If Netflix was a person, I'd be asking if they were OK; the company seems to be spiralling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Broadly speaking, there are two type of lavish Netflix project:

• Auteur passion projects nobody else will fund (can go either way quality-wise)
    • Mediocre, over-expensive, c-tier blockbusters forgotten in a week

Going by the reviews - most of which suggest this is aggressively mediocre - it seems we're definitively in category two here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I recall an article that said since their recent earnings report and subsequent cutbacks, they're going to put a stop to the first category.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that looks terrible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, that's what appears to be going down. We still have a few left to go at least - Noah Baumbach's White Noise (which has apparently had quite the production story) and Andrew Dominik's Blonde among them. But after that it seems like the thirst for content will seemingly very much be prioritising Red Notice / Gray Man type productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭conorhal

As a fan of the books, (they're pretty entertaining beach read thriller guff) I don'trecognize the story or characters from the books that the film is based on from this very generic looking trailer. Granted, it's just a trailer and those can be deceptive, but this looks like yet another 'netfix adaption' that really has nothing to do with the source material.

Can't believe nobody told the director that Movember is over.

Reviews coming in and very much on the "mediocre" side of the scale

Another 200 million Netflix splurge looking like bringing in a poor ROI - very much like "Red Notice"

• Advertisement

It's weird we have a major Netflix film that isn't actually available on the service yet. Was going to see how it has done with its limited release, but there's no actual listing on boxofficemojo, ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

whens it released on Netflix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

is that in cinemas? I thought it was later on Netflix, like end of August

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I saw a poster for it at the cinema thought only on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Was listening to Grace talk about it and from what I can tell, the business end is that they can enter award nominations if they do a bit of a cinema release. Doesn't have to be huge or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very watchable, the plot is what it is a predictable rehash of other similar books/films, well worth it for the action scenes, Evans has a lot of fun, Gosling was very good, but Ana De Armas is terrific between this and bond she needs to be given her own action film already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Yes I agree about De Armas. She needs her own action movie to showcase her talents in that genre, like Atomic Blonde or Mad Max for Charlize Theron. If the Bond producers had any sense, they'd commission a Paloma spin off while we are in this Bond lull between actors. I believe they are strongly against spin offs because they see it as diluting their brand. That is probably true of all previous spin off ideas (such as Halle Berry's Jinx) but Paloma was universally praised in No Time To Die and De Armas is very popular at the moment. It seems like a no brainer.

• Advertisement

didn't have time to finish it - watched about 2/3's of it

will finish it out for sure

dumb fare but just about watchable

Evans not a bad villain in white pants

Advertisement