Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Gray Man

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'Algorithmic' means that an algorithm has 'determined' what audiences like, and a film has been designed around that - making it feel rote or excessively, overtly over-engineered. With Netflix films it can be hard to tell which films are actually algorithmic, and which ones just feel algorithmic :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basically what Johnny described: these Netflix films feel like humans never wrote the scripts, inasmuch as they were automatically generated based on metrics derived from Netflix's databases. Just "Content" we're meant to watch for a couple of hours, then oh, why not binge this series when you're done?

I've watched much worse films than The Gray Man in my time - but it's this constant stream of bland porridge Netflix tries to pass as Big Blockbuster Entertainment is whittling away my patience. Crazy money spent on something whose output is so banal, so much a shoulder-shrug - it ends up more offensive than something demonstrably terrible. At least a genuinely Bad Movie gives rise to discussion, jokes and so-bad-it's-good enjoyment on occasion.

Crazy to say, I miss the days when blockbusters were produced by executives blitzed out of their mind on cocaine; say what you will but you got some really batshít crazy films out of that period. The obsession for the 1980s means we keep getting these pastiches and "homages" without any of the actual creative vitality that spawned the originals in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Cocaine gave us movies such as Flashdance, Beverley Hills Cop, Top Gun, Beverley Hills Cop 2, Days of Thunder, Crimson Tide, Bad Boys and The Rock. And that is just from one producer. Excessive cocaine use should be compulsory for movie execs.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Me, for one. It's one film. I don't see any room for a sequel much less a whole cinematic universe.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's not like Hollywood wasn't keen to appeal to demographics back then either - but it feels to have been taken to excess now; any rough edge or eccentricity sanded off 'til there's nothing left except superficiality. Probably comes from studios run by marketing executives rathe than movie moguls. As you say, producers like Don Simpson were behind an obscene number of crowd-pleasing classics of the 80s and 90s. And while they had their demographic box-ticks, the films often had a manic energy behind them, an energy that felt ... supplemented by drugs.

The film is based on a series of books so the runway is there to do sequels (never even heard of the novels before this film was announced so couldn't tell you much else).

But Netflix have tried this before; who remembers Bright 2? Exactly.

Sure but this wasn't much of a best first foot to be putting forward. I found it watchable but only barely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah Empire reported that there were hopes of turning it into a franchise in their piece on the film a while ago.

Personally, I really enjoyed it, so much so that I've watched it twice. Did I expect it to change my life? No. Did it change my life? No. Did I find it entertaining? Absolutely.

Post edited by Shred on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭McFly85

Completely insipid with zero style. I watched it hours ago but I can barely remember it. All the ingredients were there for at the very least an entertaining couple of hours but it’s like they collectively decided to phone it in because who cares, Netflix is footing the bill.

I’m going to watch Michael Flatleys the Blackbird when it comes out, and while it will undoubtedly review worse than this, I’m willing to bet that it I’ll find it more entertaining and memorable than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

That was so much fun..

Chris Evans cracked me up..

Ana de Armas needs this John wick spinoff...

The young actress was excellent..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,889 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A Sequel is now officially in development and Gosling is set to return.

An R rated spin off also in the works.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

Well, going by precedent Netflix don't care about quality, they care about eyeballs. Something like Red Notice was, IIRC, its biggest movie to date based on their flimsy, unknowable metrics. I swear these movies aren't technically made to be watched, but half-watched while you're doomscrolling on your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I honestly thought this was a joke but The Blackbird is apparently a thing. If Netflix are struggling, why are they churning out dross like this?

• Advertisement

The Russo’a obviously don’t read Boards.ie 😂

"The audience reaction to The Gray Man has been nothing short of phenomenal. We are so appreciative of the enthusiasm that fans across the world have had for this film," say the Russos in a statement.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/the-gray-man-russo-brothers-announce-sequel-and-spin-off/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

As per that article I linked: 'A sequel was once an (often unplanned) affirmation that audiences saw and liked a movie. Now, in a world where shareholders demand that everything be a franchise and/or a cinematic universe (with no proof that audiences want endless spin-offs to that movie or show they saw and liked), it’s a premature announcement to sell the idea of consumer success. They greenlit a sequel, so it must be a hit!'

Let's wait and see if a sequel gets made.

Ah I wasn’t aiming that at you, it’s just most here have slated it which doesn’t reflect the Russo’s statement.

Because movies like this are seen as safe bets. Which I guess makes sense when other swings have failed and the service is losing subs. Bland porridge they might be but when you look at what hits the Box Office summit, The Gray Man isn't that dissimilar in terms of overall quality; it's only that Netflix's output is more egregiously cookie cutter, lazier.

How would a Michael Flatley espionage flick be a safe bet though? Gray Man had two recognisable male leads and the directors behind some of the largest box office smashes in history.

• Advertisement

Sorry I think we have wires crossed. Blackbird isn't made by Netflix, it's just some vanity project of Flattley, but I think the hope was it turns up on Netflix (IIRC it was made in 2018 but has floated in limbo since, lacking distribution). The eagerness over it has been a desire to know just how bad it likely was.

I was talking about the Gray Man being the safe bet.

I'd missed picking up the fact the same director(s) had also produced and written "Extraction" also (hadn't bothered to note who had done it as didn't think much of it).

Found that movie terribly boring (and yes of course there is a second one coming).

When you think of the effective low budget thrillers that have been achieved in recent years - e.g. the $5 million "Green Room" (granted a different vibe of movie but "The Gray Man" doesn't come close at any point in terms of intensity) then the $200 million on "The Gray Man" seems completely outlandish

No worries. I'd say makes more sense but, while I found The Gray Man watchable, that's an appallingly low bar for someone like the Russos (Russoes?) to jump over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Found this a lot more fun and playful than I expected. Lots of nice little moments of levity to soften some of the bigger self-serious action sequences, and some excellent close choreography at times (that Dhanush fella was great!). I also liked that it actively called out some of its own more preposterous scenes as well. Some great little pieces of timing too, cracked up when Gosling, out of focus in the background, awkwardly falls off a roof.

It is what it is, it's not gonna change the world, and it definitely has its problems, but it was streets ahead of nonsense like Red Notice. Felt like the solid mid-tier actioner that we've not really had as much of over the past decade or two.

Netflix's greenlight strategy nailed within 10 seconds of the always chortlesome Pitch Meeting series:

Ah, well where diverge is in thinking the Russo's are talented in the first place 🤭🤓

What's wrong with the Russos, exactly? I wouldn't be a mad Marvel fan but I've enjoyed their work there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Absolute tripe. Laughable that they spent $200m on this with the amount of piss poor CGI in it, I had assumed when watching that they were doing it on the cheap but was shocked after when I saw that $200m figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Great fun and very entertaining. Non stop action, very cliché and worth 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

Can somebody put a bullet in this ken dolls head??!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pretty passable telegraphed stuff but an easy if ridiculously absurd watch. You kind of know what you're getting but it's no Bourne, nor MI but a banker for Netflix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

One thing I didn't understand was how the Suzanne lady was alive unsratched after Ana blew up the main tech office of the castle which she was in

Advertisement