Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Thanks Zeitnot, my post amended accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

In the above discussion about eligibility rules, nobody seems to have mentioned that two of the lowest-rated players are the most talented primary school kids we have had in this country since Tom O'Gorman and Henry Li, who first played the championship when they were 12 years old in 2014. They have grown up with online chess during the pandemic and this is the first time for them to play adults at this ultra-slow time limit. If we want to develop future IMs and GMs we need to encourage them and give them such experiences young.

On the other hand I can see partly where sodacat is coming from. If your rating is fairly stable in the 1900-1990 range you could feel entitled to think when entering, if I can score 4/9 then I shouldn't lose any serious amount of rating points and with 4.5/9 I might gain a few. But if two or three of the opponents are seriously sub-1900 that may not be the case, because you don't get much for your wins while your draws and losses are seriously penalised. The influx of new under-rated players is dragging down the ratings of many active Irish players because the opportunities to play against overseas opponents who may be over-rated have been very limited since 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

Neither Tom nor Henry played in 2014. They both played in 2015 (when they were under 1900) but not in 2016 (when they were over 1900). It's hard to blame them: everyone likes to play up, few like to play down.

Yes 2015, was writing from a memory that is clearly less reliable than of old.

Sad to see Eamon Keogh today playing such a rubbish opening and getting crushed with White in 19 moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭corkcitychess

Great minature by Sam Murray - the 1674 guy...demolishing former Irish Champion Eamon Keogh in 19 moves. A win like that could inspire confidence...maybe a future Irish champion in the making.

• Advertisement

yes I had a tough draw with a very young kid in 2015...below 1900....what was his name?...Tom somebody.....oh yeah Tom O' Gorman...5 years later he was Irish Champion!

Round 7 top boards: Tarun (5) v Oisin (4); Peter Carroll (4) v Tom (4.5); Conor v Henry (both on 4); Colm (3.5) v Alex (4).

That's all the players above 50 per cent.

Eamon and Sam not playing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

I see Shane Melaugh is in the weekender so I guess it is OK to drop out of main event to play in that?

Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

I am not cricicizing yourself or Ivan as the "sell out" did not happen on your watch as far as I remember and certainly not on Ivan's. As for your point about top players I agree but usually it isn't the top players who end up playing what I perceive to be the "unqualified players". I really don't understand what your objection (or anyone else's for that matter) is to having a designated floor which is strictly observed without exceptions. Players have 12 months to qualify between tournaments and if they can't make the 1900 floor then they simply aren't good enough regardless of reputation or past record. It is a perfectly fair system and avoids nepotism, favouritism and pressure from either sponsors or parents.

• Advertisement

The 1746 was not the last entry so he was not brought in "to even up numbers" as you claim. The whole situation is ridiculous, we might just as well allow 30 yr olds play in the Over 50s competition and 40 yr olds into the veteran section on the grounds that they too will someday be older, there really is no difference between that and allowing 16 and 17oos into a competition for 1900+ players but I guess cash is king and to hell with tradition.

Thanks for the good wishes :)

The list of "exceptions" is even worse than I thought and is blatantly susceptible to nepotism and outside influences. I look forward to seeing what is going to happen when an 1820 rated ex con from Ballydehob and a 1799 Gonzaga player who happens to be the son of the sponsor both want the same wildcard place.

I never said I was wild on sub 1900s playing, I'm mostly annoyed you've quoted falling standards - which I think I've demonstrated is BS given the floor was never enforced as stringently as it was until recently. At the time, I voted against your motion because it would have prevented subs which prevent odd numbers.

Taking out the pandemic years, which I think is more than fair, I showed in my prior post that everyone bar subs had a qualifying rating during the previous 6 months from memory apart from the odd sub who I think is just better than a bye (and if you disagree, you always have the option to say to the arbiter before the event or next round ideally before draw is made - I'd rather a bye in the event I'm playing the sub).

In the last three years, have the organisers been less strict - yes. Players don't and haven't had this chance you talk about to get their rating up to 1900. Some of these players were under 10 when the pandemic started, some hadn't picked up a piece before 2020 and they've demonstarted significant improvement in every event they've played. Even with K40 - they can't conceivably gain 600-700 points in a single season when 75-95% of the usual events are cancelled. Its ridiculous to me that you'd consider that unfair given the circumstances. When we're back to pre-pandemic levels of events, I'm sure the organiser will revert to the same level of strictness that we were employing in 2016-2019.

As for the "sell-out", if you know what example you're talking about (which again, if I knew about, I'd be more specific - but haven't the foggiest) then you're well able to look back to see if I was involved if you're going to make accusations - the first Irish I ran (which was the first event I ran since Gonzaga in '05) was the one I ran poorly (not that I was helped by the venue): UCD in 2016.

Obviously is players that were not qualified to play when the floor was 1900 are now playing then standards have fallen. And regarding your point that everyone should have a say on the running of the Irish Ch does that mean that if I put in a motion that every ICU member should be allowed play in it regardless of rating and that this motion is carried by vote at the AGM (as it undoubtedly would be if enough low rated players are present) then that is what ill happen?

Maybe he was but I see now both Melaughs are entered for the weekender.

I have no problem about S. Melaugh but G. Melaugh entered both the Irish Championship and the Weekday Open (in which play starts 9.30am) which seemed odd to me at the time.

In the latter he won round 1 and then dropped out (hardly fair to his first round opponent), perhaps because he realised two games in a day was too much or maybe because the opposition (bar one relatively experienced 1703) was going to be weak.

In the championship he drew two games and then withdrew after losing the third.

Maybe the ICU should have a rule prohibiting players who have withdrawn midway through the Championship from then playing the weekender; that seems to be what the original poster was implying?

Theoretically that is correct but highly unlikely to ever happen.....remember its a 9 day event and that is a huge committment, also I seem to recall many years ago that the age for voting at AGM's was increased to 16 or 18 as a result of some unscrupulous parents bringing their kids to AGMs and getting their kids to vote some dodgy motions through.

When have I said that all players should have a say? News to me. You might be confusing me with the ICU constitution.

You are just lying to yourself on standards. I show you year after year where u1900s players through the 80s and 90s in every year I could find records for - and you say that standards are falling only now. Feelings vs Facts.

And your latter point just makes me laugh for the simple fact that of the thousands of members that the ICU has had in its history - every one of them that is eligible to vote at an AGM has had the chance to table that motion and no one ever has to my knowledge.

yes...there have been a few dubious motions in the past...most falling by the wayside.....one of my small legacies in Irish chess was my 2006 motion that "the reigning Irish champion must always be offered a place on the Irish team"...still stands today!

It sounds common sense doesn't it? but incredibly back in 2006 it was a highly contencious motion because there was a large well known click of Irish titled players that were strongly opposed to the motion because it would be in theory denying one of their buddies a place on the team! There was a large turnout at the AGM and after that key motion was voted upon during the interval while the votes were being counted...the then ICU chairman..Eamonn Pitts (RIP) approached me and had the audacity to say...ah...."------" it looks like its a shame that you wasted your journey to come all this way only to lose your motion!

I had the last laugh as the motion was passed (it was very close..only passed by 2 votes) and that was in a large part in thanks to the lower rated grass roots members who voted it through....not the high rated titled ones and their buddies...I think Joe Ryan was in attendance for that AGM also and was one of the supporters of the motion.

You make some good points but I don't accept that we are underrated compared to other countries as maybe we once were. Countries like India, Norway, and Lithuania are probably the most under rated.

As for future IMs GMs if players can't get to 1900 when they have a K factor of 40 then I would suggest that they will never be GMs. Also a lot of the kids that we bent the rules for in the past don't seem to play chess any more.

Let's see what happens when I make that very proposal at the next AGM :)

As things stand the rules are " motion 1 (ICU executive), with the current statement of wildcards (2 ICU, 1 organisers, Irish Women's, 50+, 65+ champions and all previous winners)" So we have Keogh as a previous winner, fair enough. The women playing are over 1900. Over 50s and 60s champs haven't entered so if as you say you want to discuss FACTS that leaves THREE places up for grabs yet we have FIVE low rated players getting in. Sounds a bit Boris Johnsonish to me. This proves my point that there should be clear and transparent criteria for who plays instead of leaving it at the discretion of your good self, the Arbiter or even the President of Ireland.

Your "facts" about the amount of unrated players in previous championships are equally disingenuous but I'm not pedantic enough to go sifting through the past 42 championships or whatever it is . I played in most of them, I know what they were like.

• Advertisement

In case anyone is wondering why the star attraction is not playing in the Irish Championship tomorrow it's because I'm playing in the qualifier for the Captain's Prize in my golf club. The Captains is a very prestigious event with a long history and tradition that is honoured and observed and no one is allowed to play in next week's final unless they qualify by getting into the top 90 with no exceptions made for anyone that might be the next Tiger Woods. In the past the Irish Chess Championship would always meant more to me but somehow the Captains seems to have overtaken it in my estimation recently.

Eamon Keogh is rated 1931 FIDE, so needed no special consideration to get in.

(Incidentally, this year marks the 60th anniversary of his first championship, Derry 1962, where he scored 4.5/8 and finished 7th/16, 1 point short of sharing first. I think the 60-year span is an all-time record, by a considerable margin.)

Having a volunteer who is willing to step in as a filler is only a good thing, I think, and I personally wouldn’t count him negatively.

It’s true that that leaves 4 low-rated players rather than 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

My own view is that anyone who would not play one of the rounds in our national championship because of a round of golf should be hung, drawn and quartered - at the very least!

The Arbiter's option is there to provide for fillers and that option had already been used. I'm being made out to be the villain here but the ICU broke its own rules. I have /had no objection to the three 1800+ players who got in and my protest only started when Liu was illegally admitted and then the problem was further compounded with a 1600 getting in.

Probably I should sue the Arbiter and the ICU for abuse of powers but since they provided excellent toffees during the tournament I have told my legal team to back off for now.

Some contributors here are very on the ball when it comes to digging up old posts , ICU rules and the like. I'm pretty sure that when my proposal to impose a 1900 rating floor was defeated my RetdCapt Loyola's amendment RCL stated that the reason an Arbiter would have a wild card pick was in the event that there was an uneven number. I'd be grateful if some eagle eyed poster could find the post where he said that as I am in no doubt that the ICU has broken its own rules this year regardless of how well intentioned the motive might have been.

Diana Mats

shows as FIDE registered with Ukraine. Can someone explain why she was allowed to enter our main national championships?

I am very sympathetic to Ukrainians suffering as a result of Putins war (I even recently contacted the HR dept in my company to donate 1 months salary towards the humanitarian effort in the Ukraine) and it is very commendable that the ICU has given all temporary dislocated Ukrainian chess players now resident in Ireland free membership of the ICU but rules are rules...has she recently changed federation to IRL?

All participants must be current members of the ​Irish Chess Union (​ICU​) and all entrants to the main week-long event must be registered as IRL with FIDE.

Non-IRL players are permitted to entered the other events but may not claim the title of "Irish Champion" in any section. The titles will be awarded to the highest placed IRL player. Prize money will be awarded as stated with no distinction between IRL and non-IRL.

Post edited by corkcitychess on

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

The only reference is in the minutes of the 2018 AGM: see https://icu.ie/system/downloads/000/000/411/a4354961a25ec63044027807c235c1d4573be36b.pdf?1567354739. They don't record the discussion (just for Motion 1 "Passed with some amendments based on discussion of motion 2.").

Based just on the wording (which is all we have officially), I'd have thought that the invitations before the event cover all purposes, including making an even number of players, but getting back to an even number of players after someone withdraws from the event is a separate category.

• Advertisement

In the absense of an official response (hopefully one forthcoming) the 2022 Irish national chess championships will have to be retrospectively listed as an "open tournament"...shame...lets hope the 2023 organisers follow the rules .

https://ratings.fide.com/profile/14138611

Advertisement