Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Homelander's son was born of Homelander raping Butcher's girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Hughie doesn't know it's lethal, Butcher didn't tell him after Starlight warned him - as above, Butcher doesn't want perma 'Supe' powers, he only needs/wants it to do away with HL, he needs Hughie on side in his Supe form, he's taking a major risk but only he knows this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It was a good dynamic. Hughie earlier took a risk to save Butcher, even though it meant putting the mission to kill Homelander at risk. Soldier Boy also told Hughie that Butcher would happily die if it meant killing Homelander, which Butcher confirmed at the end of the episode...

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Overall good so far. I had called the SB thing from the start with a friend of mine after the gender swap in last season, but still fun to see.

Overall created a bit of a plot hole, would SB not have been better with HL or was it to create a better version but the backup to take down?

Imagine that SF wont be the mother as they need some way, in my opinion to keep Ryan stronger again as an ace in the hole, and if SF and SB were parents then HL would be stronger again as a " pure blood" supe.

The Blue V is a great addition from a while back, I can see the team going the way of the comics if I am honest and all banding together once they realise SB and HL are on the same side.

Enjoyed that for the most part.

Spent the whole episode waiting for Starlight's head to pop after Hughie said something about her head exploding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ho. Lee. Sh*t.

That was great. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Should've used the Mark McCabe version. 🙄

Good finale. I guess next season will be going after the VP candidate while Homelander won't be afraid to be seen killing in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,344 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought it was great, and everything wrapped up well for the end of the season. Some disappointments (the Congresswoman's daughter's story never developed into anything, A-Train played almost no part in the finale, Black Noir's death was disappointingly unceremonious).

But as I said at the start of the season, they needed to do something with Homelander to evolve or change him, and I don't think they really have. Even having Ryan by his side, we're going to end up with the same Homelander we've had for 3 seasons now, and as great as he is it just feels stagnant.

The parts of the episode that worked, worked really well though. The mixing in motivations and fighting between all the supes was fantastic, Maeve finally got to be more of a badass and I liked her ending, Hughie choosing Annie over the TempV, and Soldier Boy was great throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Really enjoyed the season , its take on the right wing lot was perfect .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

A good finale. Hopefully they develop Homelander more next season- he is too static as is Butcher. As good as the season has been I dont think the creators know what the overall plan is for the series. Is it just going to be them trying to kill Homelander until the very end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Noir ain't dead....right!? Holy crap what a literal gut punch after he showed he genuinely cared about Homelander.

Karl Urban should have some juicy stuff to sink his teeth into in season 4, hopefully his oul lad makes a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

That finale was possibly the worst episode of the show yet. Absolutely woeful.

Nothing changed this season. You could literally skip the entire thing and you would be in an almost identical spot to the end of Season 2.

Homelander still the top dog. Neuman still in a position of power. The Boys still trying to take them down. Hughie fine and back with Annie, Kimiko still has powers and still tight with Frenchie, MM still being MM. Ryan still an unknown threat which could go either way. Deep and A Train still walking on eggshells around Homelander.

All they have the Butcher hook which will be easily resolved no doubt.

The Soldier Boy storyline went nowhere. He didn't hurt Homelander, he ended up fighting the Boys because the showrunners have no intention of doing anything to Homelander. Then they tried to make Soldier Boy out to be a Homelander monster by just telling you everything he did. The way they build Homelander was the opposite. By showing you.

Just a complete damp squib after some really intriguing build up. When the Boys actually started fighting Soldier Boy it was just the worst way they could have gone. The whole setup was so utterly contrived. The whole thing is really stale now because having the same antagonist for four seasons straight is just so so boring. With no development too - his character is the exact same as he was in season 1 episode 1. Reminds me of Heroes back in the day when they wouldn't just get rid of Sylar.

I find it incredible that nobody died in the final fight - it's exactly the kind of Marvel shite that the show tried to distance itself from early on but now nothing has any stakes and everybody has invincible levels of plot armour. When I saw Maeve I actually laughed because of how utterly ridiculous the whole thing was.

And as for the one actual casualty - the way that character arc was handled was utterly atrocious. A full episode of build up, and plenty of flashbacks before that, constant teasing of a Noir and Soldier Boy fight - and nothing. Gone half way through in the most pathetic way. Genuinely couldn't believe they wrote it like that.

Kimiko spends the whole season not wanting to be a monster and spends the whole episode mutilating people to the song Maniac. She's literally so distracted by her enjoyment of further mutilating a dead person that she fails to see a threat about to kill Frenchie in time. Holy f*ck what a terrible scene.

The show falls over itself to tell the viewer that Starlight and MM are right in their idealogy and that Butcher and Hughie were wrong this season - and completely fail to make you believe it.

Just a total mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Yikes, I must have been the only one that thought it was a bit... flat, disappointing, maybe even crap?

Felt like a big load of nothing happened and there was no real pay-off for anything that's been happening throughout the season.

Someone could skip from season two to four and the only things they'll have really missed are Homelander's son being his pal now and Maeve being.. maybe gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well, that was season 3! I think it stood well enough on it's own.

3.8: Well.. none of those fights felt anywhere near as someone-is-in-danger as the Herogasm fight. Once they started splitting everyone up, it became obvious, they went for a comedy take on this episode.

I thought the Kimiko action was the novelty brought to the scenes.

Definitely wondered a bit about Homelander maybe having braindamage from the hit to his head but he seemed ok.

Guessing there'll be some leaning into making the kid a baddie now..

Can't imagine Soldier Boy won't reappear at some point in the future either.

Laughed so hard at the vice president reveal. It does make a good setup for a new season and shows me how strong they've built the arc that I remembered her causing the shock towards the end of season 2.

Future: Yeah, there's no way, they ain't making a season 4.

Anyway..

Flashdance - She's a Maniac [HD]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm a bit conflicted. I really enjoyed the season, and the characters as always are great. But as folk have mentioned, nothing really has changed at the end of the season.

Maeve is definitely gone but she was always a bit of a background character that the show didn't know how to use properly. What annoys me is at the end Butcher is more annoyed at the VP lady more than Homelander. I guess the showrunners dont think they can get away with another season of Butcher spending another season going after Homelander. if he only has a short period of life to live he should get permanent V and do a suicide run on Homelander- that would be in character.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good season finale

So soldier boy is not dead and could make a return ?

Homelander and Homelander Junior could be amazing as super pissed off Butcher

I'm assuming next summer for season 4. Imagine if they done a Christmas special

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't want Soldier Boy to die and he didn't, so I'm happy. Maeve's character arc was well wrapped up (although she'll probably get her powers back at some stage). Didn't expect Noir to be the one that got the chop but it was a jaw-dropping moment.

My concern for the next season would be that we might get a lot of focus on Ryan, and Butcher trying to 'save his soul'. I'm guessing Homelander will learn Butcher's not got long left and this is why he won't try to take him out, so he can spend his last bit of time suffering. Not sure how Homelander will be challenged next season as he looks in a pretty dominant position. Noir dead, Maeve gone, Soldier Boy on ice, Butcher's powers gone. Perhaps Mallory and Edgar team up and think of something? Butcher gets given the permanent V to heal him? I'm sure the writers will come up with something good.

Big thumbs up for the season. I'd still say my favourite moment was the 3-on-1 fight with Soldier Boy, Butcher and Hughie almost getting Homelander.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was wondering if Noir gone? I mean going by the cartoon play last week, he seemed pretty dead after Soldier Boy was done with him.

On a sidenote, every time I hear Soldier Boy mentioned, I get Polyphonic Spree's Soldier Girl in my head. Same with Starlight and Supermen Lovers Starlight .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really enjoyed the season including the finale but I do agree that there was too little meaningful development or progression that is so badly needed, generally we're at the exact same place at the end of S3 as we were at S2 and it feels a bit stale.

I think it was really just the actors that carried it and made it so good. Anthony Starr as Homelander specifically.

Is Noir really gone? I could understand if he was and why, but if that is the case it wasn't handled particularly well. I suspect he's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Starlight's huge build up to show how **** her power is was hilarious I thought. All that to push Soldier Boy back a few feet.

Good season overall but a pretty poor finale imo.

I've never understood Starlight's powers anyway. All she does is create a bright flash that knocks people back a bit. Even Maeve's line at the end about how she can jump, but Starlight can fly...

She levitated an inch off the floor for about 10 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I think that was more rhetorical and than literal when Maeve said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I love how proud Kimiko was of Frenchie for standing up to Butcher

Oh totally, but even as a rhetorical line about how powerful Starlight has become or can be... I don't know what Maeve is basing that on. Starlight's biggest contribution tends to just be speaking out and being a public figure. In a fight she's as useful as the Deep in the middle of the Sahara.

I hope Black Noir is dead and Maeve is gone just so it can be argued that there is someplot development in that homelander and voight are now weakened. Not sure what the writers wanted Soldiers boys motivation to be. Once he knew all his old gang was dead he had no strong reason for killing Homelander. He didnt seem to want to be the top dog in voight or even have any animosity to homleander at the end of episode 7.

He made a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Strange end to the season.

As other have said, there's really not too much more development of the main plot. Homelander still alive and in power. Ryan still under his thumb. The Boys still "roughly" in the same position as before.A great season, but we're returning to the status quo, minus a few side characters.

I love the parallels to the Trump era fake news, us vs them fanaticism.

I really don't like V or 24-V has become a deus ex machina. The show started with supes being exceptional, but now anyone can gain or lose powers almost at any time. Vought has vials of the stuff sitting in an easily accessible fridge, and Soldier Boy's energy blast is a big Undo button.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well that was one EPIC season finale!

Glad they didn't kill of Maeve, she is a good actress her accent was excellent (bar the odd slip). She was sidelined this season really, and she might actually get a deserved happy ending. That fight with homelander was excellent...and nasty...her eye..and his ear...yikes!

Black Noir gone as well? weird cartoon bits will be missed.

Cool we got to see Starlight kick some ass as well.

Soldier boy still alive, homelander still alive and with a seriously fecked up kid... Kinda wishful thinking they might kill off homelander I guess.

Head popper teed up to be a main bad next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thought that was a great finale

How does Homelander survive getting his brain skewered? Starlight is the most useless hero and really serves no purpose to the show

Advertisement