Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Problem is though that it was Usyk who was stronger in the clinch in the first fight. He bullied Joshua in close. Joshua doesn't have the tools to win a fight mauling up close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So true although AJ is a bigger more explosive powerful man he isn't a great inside fighter,

Infact the Ruiz 1 ko has him absolutely terrified of fighting on the inside, I'v no question that why he decided to fight how he did against Usyk ,

Chisora who is not near top level gave Usyk problems by being on top of him and not letting him breath , Its mental because the only thing Chisora has over AJ is the stubbornness & bravery to just keep barrelling forward,

The reason i think Fury beats Usyk is he can do both box & make it ugly & he also can switch it up mid fight,

AJ knew his plan wasn't working & didn't have the ability to change id fight,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think big issue for AJ in regards his size and us saying he should use his size and weight is his actual confidence, or lack thereof. yourdeadwright has made these succinct points.

It's like he freezes and tenses up when up close, which really affects his ability to be strong and his ability to show his 245 lbs against a clearly smaller man

Usyk is not some monster....he's 210 lbs and is strong. But nothing exceptional.

AJ and his fear of getting tagged and hurt really seems to have spilled into all areas of him as a boxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What's Fury going to do in the meantime, probably looking at December before any unification fight, will he fight in the meantime and will the US ban affect him?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Butson

Usyk is going to win this one with ease.

Joshua has to be more aggressive and a boxer as skilled as Usyk will just pick him off.

Ridiculous that this is happening in Saudi. Greed from all concerned. They are already all fantasically rich.

Great stare-down between the pair a them......can see it on Eddie's Insta!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Does Usyk look to have lost some condition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,202 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Joshua would give you a pain in your hole with his 3 time world champion talk , it’s not as if it’s something to brag about losing to Ruiz and a cruiser weight, I reckon usyk will beat him again, joshua has the air of a fella trying to convince himself he can win.

I don't think its possible for him to be in the same shape as he was last time,

He spent 2 months at war & couldn't train properly and had worked hard for 2 years to add muscle to become a heavy weight ,,

I can't see how he can possibly be in the same shape,

• Advertisement

The fight is 8 weeks away, lads. Usyk will be in fighting shape come Aug 20. I mean, what shape was he in July, 2021, 8 weeks before fight 1?

Depends on how much muscle mass he held onto during his time in Ukriane,

These next 8 weeks will be fully focus on sharpness ,speed & conditioning , If he lost muscle mass in his time at war he won't regain it in the next 8 weeks,

in the shape of a lad that had spent a couple of years building up to be a heavy weight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well your man was obviously aware of his size before he went at him. I saw Julius Francis in person once back in the mid 2000's and he was massive. Someone there told me at the time he finished boxing and was training for MMA.

I was happy to see your man being taught a lesson. He might think twice before acting the hard man again.

I'd have a different opinion if Francis had rushed in headfirst to knock your man out but your man was coming at him and Francis just takes a step back and sets him up. So I don't think he did anything wrong here.

Well, nobody can say how he will be Aug 20 compared to Sept ‘21.

If Usyk is his usual self, we can all be sure he’ll prepare like the dedicated and consummate pro we know him to be

all this talk of muscle mass is just not identifiable or measurable to us fans.

We will have a good idea when he weighs in and you can compare how he looks on the scale to the first fight,

Very interesting fight & the out come leads to very interesting times ahead,

• Advertisement

I’d expect Usyk to be anywhere between 215 and 223. I think he was about 220 for fight 1.

I see Ruiz is to fight Ortiz in August ,

Ortiz looked like age finally caught up with him last time out against Martin, although he still won ,

Decent name to add to record if Ruiz can get the win,

Hopefully Wilder gets back in the ring soon,

Yep. Too easy a fight for Joyce at this stage he should be in with contenders

Yes, but Joe Parker really has a very worthy and valid excuse....right up there with the best a them

“But there was a problem and that is that Joe Parker can’t fight because his trainer Andy Lee’s wife has a baby due apparently on the week of the fight, so he can’t train."

i dont think the contenders fancy the juggernaut, its a high risk low reward fight.

• Advertisement

Yea i agree. So the thing to do is make him more attractive. Hammar won’t do that. Not positive who would but would he be better served heading to USA?

Joyce v Hammer later on BT. Contender for pointless step back fight ever!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Joyce just doing his normal self. I like him but he is a sitting duck for a wilder, usyk or a fury. Apart from those 3 I’d fancy him against anyone else but I don’t see him ever being a top guy.

AJ would surely beat him as well. He’s so there to be hit and to be outboxed.

Depends , ajs gas tank is no where near joes , joe would look outclassed for 5 or 6 rounds but if it goes beyond that I could see him wearing AJ down.

Wilder's one punch power would get to him, Fury and Usyk would be able to stay with his pace and stay in control.

I am not sure about AJ, probably would beat him too but I think Joyce has a good chance of tiring him down and getting to him.

I think Wilder might be the worst match to Joyce. That explosive launch he gets through. Ko from behind on the cards 5-6 rounds.

i think Joshua has a bit much for him.

fury is a schooling job and late stop.

Usyk maybe too quick but his best chance of winning. Similar chance with Joshua tbf

Fury would toy with Joe for as long as he wanted

I think Wilder and AJ, if both commit early could get an early KO

Usyk should be too fast and busy and fit

Of all, maybe AJ most suspect here, but I'd still make him 70-30 favorite

Yea if Joe gave him an easy shot fury would take it or grind him down

Wilder would commit so I’d say one nbig throw and it’s early lights out

joshua hard to say for sure all depends on how he approaches it but Christ he’s bound to fancy the job. Then again, Dubois was fancied too

usyk I think is his best chance but he’d have bruises early on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

WAR Chisora this weekend v Pulev,,,,,,,🤣

• Advertisement

What’s on the card? It will be a bit of craic anyhow

this Chisora has a better shot than the last one.

I saw mcguigan talking up a rematch between Dubois and Joyce. For me Dubois has become more confident with some easy wins but he’s no better a fighter and it would be a similar outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The commentary on DAZN is starting to become a problem

More biased than any Americans...watching different fights

Goodish fight. Pulev didn't seem hurt at any time, he comes across to me as a feather fisted Joe Joyce- technical and tough but slow. I suppose Del Boy deserves the nod once in a while.

Didn’t see it but Chisora will barrel on I suppose. Back to a payday to likely lose. Who’s up next? Dubois? Helienus?

In fairness chisora deserved a decision at some point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Chisora isn't the worst, but chatter about him fighting Wilder is insanity and should not be entertained.

If he wants decent money fights that will generate interest then maybe fight Whyte or Pulev again.

Tony spot on below.

https://twitter.com/DevSahni_/status/1545901169838530563?cxt=HHwWhoCx4Yy7kvQqAAAA

Ah it wasnt half as close as the DAZN commentators were pretending and then even they were surprised

Will probably start watch DAZN on silent

First judge was about right

Del Boy doesnt deserve a decision every now and then just because he gets there. He absolutely destroys the rhythm of the fight and in the case Pulev did more than enough

Jesus Haye is unbearable

Haye is Terrible, I agree. I think he gave Del every round!

I wasn't scoring round by round but I think you could easily score it 8-4 for either man, most of the rounds came down to what you like so Del getting a rare tight decision sits fine with me. Pulev is 41 and was never great so he should really retire.

• Advertisement

I’ve come to that conclusion myself. A very ok performance against Wlad is about the only thing to stand up.

haye is good for nothin.

Chisora should get out now he’s had some bad brutal fights and there’s nothing for him with the top 4/5. Getting to share a ring with Usyk and hold his own is a high

Unfortunately Chisora won't hang up the gloves when there is still money on the table,

He won't pack it in until he is completely washed and getting ko'd fight after fight ,

I sensed that Del Boy is been told the end is soon from his post fight comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Who knows what condition Wilder will be in mentally or physically, nearly a year out of the ring, if it's a huge pay day for Chisora it's worth it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Wilder will need to have one or two tune ups and in those he’s vulnerable. Unless he’s gone to hell altogether then he’d iron Chisora in what would be a nasty ko. His jabs keep Chisora away and when Chisora slows even more after 3 rounds he’s a sitting duck for a bomb.

Ye have to agree Chisora's whole game is to take a few shots to get close and hope to wear you out,

Wilder would flat line him in 2 rounds max

• Advertisement

Emm maybe a little longer Than 2 but there would be an any time at all air to it. I wouldn’t begrudge Chisora the occasion I think he’s been a good character in the sport but I wouldn’t like to see him get caught out thinking he has one more fight in him too long.

I love that fight. Any dates announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Joshua Uysk 2 is only 2 weeks away and I feel there is no buzz at all for this fight.

I guess people are giving Joshua little chance.

Bookies give him 35%...i would have it about 30%

It will build up next week

Saudi doesnt help the build up

• Advertisement
Advertisement