Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota bz4X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭society4

Very comprehensive review …thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MarkK1986

Anyone get any timeline on the BZ4X? I was told the 10th of August last week despite the recall and now i got a generic mail indicating a delay but no timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bioscaller

I have been told 16th July until todays email. Dealer has no clue about a new delivery date. T

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MarkK1986

I'm assuming they are due in Ireland on the original date and the rework will be done here? If not then I'd say it will be early next year

Will see. Waiting to hear back from them. In that case I would cancel my order and get either the 11kw version for next year or take the E-Niro or ID4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lidl have been installing DC chargers now for the last while, anything from 28kW up to 50kW

And the AC chargers are 22kW

Surely if the sport model is not affected (only the premiere) those cars could be released soon. Very disappointing if we have to wait until later or even the new year.

I was told mid Aug - late Aug after the recall was announced and never received any email today about further delay.

Now there are more affected as they previously told me. The issue will be rectified in the manufacture plant in Japan and not by the dealer itself. Considering the amount of cars affected now. This can take anywhere between 2-6 months. I just pulled my deposit today.

How disappointing for you Bioscaller…..thanks for the update….what a mess this has been !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

I received the same email, this very disappointing, I haven't pulled my deposit yet but I might in the next few days, and although disappointing, it might be a good thing as I might now hold off till the new year and get the 11kw version and I'll save a few quid more and get the premium edition as I really want the sunroof, ventilated seats, 10 speaker sound system as the BZ4X that I sat in last weekend in the UK had all the bells and whistles including the sunroof and it would be such a shame not to get it. And anyway, I read the other day that it's rumoured that Toyota might be putting in a slightly bigger battery in the BZ4X next year with added extras including battery pre-conditioning, just like Hyundai did with the Ioniq 5.

I was also on the phone to 2 dealers today in Germany. Autoweber Toyota in Münster and Dortmund. They have plenty of cars ready to go on their compounds but they are stuck due to the recall. There is also no internal info to the dealers yet of how this issue supposed to be rectified. They dont have parts either. Also, any car that wasn't delivered got a delay of minimum 2 months in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Hi Bioscaller, looking to find out where the information regarding the issue being rectified in Japan has come from?

If that is the case I reckon it could be 6+ months :(

Rang several Toyota dealerships in Dublin and Meath... none of them have any delivery date info including my own Ashbourne dealer. They pretty much all said they're not been kept in the loop from Toyota Ireland.

Toyota Dealer Autoweber in Germany. (Biggest Toyota dealer chain). I called them yesterday. Any car that wasn't delivered yet gets the recall sorted in either Japan or VPC (Vehicle Preparation Centre) in Changchu, China.

Cars that have been delivered to the dealer are on hold and there is no official fix presented to the dealers yet.

So yeah, that sales guy was pretty unhappy as he has few hundred unhappy customers.

Absolut shitshow tbh.

Post edited by Bioscaller on

So if it is Japan and delayed would it take about 6-8 weeks to ship a car once the fix has been made…..but with shipping delays that could be even longer…..I can’t pull out because the resale value of the car promised by Toyota that I’m trading in will probably reduce in 2023 but I think it probably is a good idea to get the 11w onboard charger and other perks of the 2023 model…….so disappointing ….

• Advertisement

Most likely, same with mine. Thats why I most probably gonna go for an ID4 which I got offered due to a cancellation. They offered we same trade in value as Toyota. Ill make that decision tomorrow. Either I will wait till next year or go for the ID4.

Sure it's the same with my old diesel corolla, it's going to lose some more trade-in value by January 2023, and if the delivery does get delayed beyond August then I'm changing my order to the 11kw one in the Premium edition and I actually want it in the navy rather than the precious metal colour.

At least then I know on the day that I'm driving it off the forecourt I'll be 100% happy with it.

But if by chance it does get delivered between now and the end of August I'll take it as it is.

Bioscaller... I'd seriously advise you look at the Nissan Ariya over the ID.4, it's way nicer and better spec. It's my back up option.

Look at the beauty in this review. I love it in the navy. It looks savage.

And very soon the Ariya is going to come with 22kW AC as standard…..

so using an eCars AC22 thats 0-100% in less than 3 hours for the 63kWh version, and 4 hours 0-100% on the 87kWh version…… that’s a huge advantage over the ID.4

Had it on my radar but only available from next year from what all the Nissan dealers told me.

• Advertisement

Rumour on some of the bz Facebook groups in US that dealers are telling customers a remedy is imminent (next week)….perhaps they will release the ones that have been delivered ..

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭petronelduca

€500.00 deposit payment made for a Precious Metal one.

Toyota website kept advising the car is arriving in June 2002 and so I wrote to them the other day advising is already July. Today I note they changed the website content, advising bz4x available in 2022, no specific month.

A bit poor on the customer service's side IMHO.

Post edited by petronelduca on

Here's an update from Toyota Global. Production on the bZ4X line is now cancelled for the remainder of July.

I can see delivery dates at this stage getting pushed out beyond August and well into September or even October.

Told you guys before. That's what the German dealers told me last week. The main concern is about the already produced BZ as Toyota still did not issue an internal fix for them nor parts. All BZs in Germany are parked up for 4-5 weeks already and cant be handed over. Very disappointing for customers.

If id known this I would have waited until 2023 to order…..still hoping they can find a fix and ship the new parts …surely Toyota want this sorted so they don’t have to continue paying for rental vehicles for the 200 owners in the US….

I will get a BZ4X in 3 years from now. They should have the car ironed out by then and the car might have a range of 800kms, who knows.

Toyota's upcoming solid state battery technology can reportedly charge up to 1000km's in 15-20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭vimalandrew

I met few taxi drivers in Dublin last week and all of them have booked for bz4x and waiting. I asked them Ioniq 5 and Tela has more range, then why totyota. They said Toyota is the most efficient and reliable and will run for may be more than 10 years without any issue. If bz4x comes to the market it will capture the market with a storm. Tesla may get killed. As a result of International pressure, Toyota is delaying the bz4x. I myself booked last month and dealer said, it will be delivered on at the end of August. It looks like even Gulf countries are pressurising toyota. Now itseld Toyota has the largest selling cars in Ireland. If bz4x comes, then need not sya, what is going to happen. SO I would assume, it is not coming this year. They justifies it saying that its wheel nuts are not proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Who exactly is pressurising Toyota and why ?

Are you saying there is no issue with the wheel nuts?

From what I've read about the issue, it's the wheel bolts/lug nuts weren't torqued to the right level of tightness at the assembly plant and that the car the nuts "might loosen" if the car took a sharp corner at certain speeds. I also saw over the weekend on some of the BZ4X owner group pages on Facebook that some US dealers are telling their customers that the BZ4X won't be released till September.

Thanks for the update.

That pretty much confirms what the real issue is.

Toyota issued a notice to all owners to park their cars and not use them. Dealers arranged collection and provided free loaner cars.

I'm not sure where the other poster is getting their information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

They have to come and collect the car and take it away to do this? 🤨

Apparently so, but Toyota do have very high Q.C standards anyway and this whole recall is really just a precaution thing. In reality, they probably could have actually released the cars and there probably wouldn't have been a single reported incidence of the wheel nuts actually loosening or any wheels actually falling off as all the test and demo cars released to the press and media never had any issues and lot of the auto reviewers who drove the BZ4X a lot of them drove the shite out of them for their youtube channel reviews - and none of them had any issues.

So you have your brand new Toyota outside in the drive and you get an urgent message telling you the wheels could fall off and not to drive it.

You can imagine the reaction if a mechanic rocked up next day and pulled a wheel brace out of his van tightened the wheel nuts saying "your fine now".

Yeah, something like that will probably happen, but I heard that the fix is actually going to be replacement bolts rather than just an extra hard tighten of the current bolts. If you happen to be one of the few lucky ones who has their BZ4X on their driveway at the moment, then I wouldn't have any issues with doing some easy/gentle local drives with it - popping down to the shops etc is probably totally fine... but your car insurance could be void if you happened to have any kind of traffic tip or accident as an insurance company would only love not to pay out on a vehicle that you were made aware of not to drive.

Maybe here with a "sure it'll be grand" thrown in for good measure but definitely not in a litigious country like the US.

It would totally kill me to have brand new car on my driveway and not be allowed to drive it. It would be like getting a new train set for Christmas and then be told you can't play with it till maybe the springtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Could you ask those taxi drivers for Tuesdays Euromillions numbers? As they must have an incredible cry ball to determine that what Toyota have done in the past with ICE cars will translate into their new BEV…

wait til they try and DC charge it more than once per day………. And in winter!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I assume their expectations are being set by the Hybrid experience. They have a good image weather you agree or disagree with it.

As for people laughing about the wheel nuts don't forget ten years ago the company was nearly ruined by badly fitted mats. I can understand their caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭innrain

But the specs of the car so far show a mediocre product at best. My old Kona has better specs when it comes to power, torque, battery, efficiency, range even AC charging. So to say that this would be a better workhorse that an ID4 or IQ5 is completely non-sense.

I think the recall is more serious than tighten up some nuts. My understanding is that the bolts are coming off which is quite wired problemm to have as it might be something wrong with the wheel hub assembly.

Google just recommend me an article with 3 reasons why bz is better than IQ5. The ground clearance, has few inches more, the AWD efficiency which is bull as the AWD version of BZ is few hp over the single motor and about 2/3 of the IQ5 power and price which is few 000's less in the US. So even a paid article struggles to find something positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

But the specs of the car so far show a mediocre product at best.

Has that ever mattered here in Ireland? It's NEVER stopped Toyota hitting the top of the sales charts.

I never mentioned that it was better or worse spec wise than competitors if you read my first comment.

As regards there being a bigger issue there could very well be but I'd also imagine its in their interest to make sure their first electric car is well recieved, I mean, imagine delaying the launch of a car for 2 years to try and fix software issues before giving up and selling them anyway only to have dealers forced to buy them back. I mean imagine if a company was so irrisponsible that they'd do that these days.............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭innrain

Compared to other ICEs their hybrids are somewhat competitive. Maybe they are not the fastest but they are reliable and economical. But EV world is different and Toyota has to prove is worth again. Unfortunately this product shows that they are not trying.

My comment about the specs and workhorse was intended to the taximan choosing BZ over other models, comments which started the discussion. I don't defend any company or CEO. They all are the same and will do anything to maximise the profits. Dieselgate is the best example. Right now ID4 or IQ5 are better cars than the yet to be launched BZ4X. Regardless of the recall which will be fixed sooner or later.

• Advertisement

I bet all of you toyota Bz4x will have the same fate as the new version of Chinese MG 5 EV and MG Zs EV. Globally, the number of bookings for MG is very huge. But they are producing them in a few numbers. I dont know whether at least one MG new version is delivered to a European customer. America is pressurising China on that. The same is the case with Toyota. Now itself RAV4 is the best selling EV in US. When A similar EV like bZ4X which has the same price comes into the US market, it will capture the market like a storm. It will be a Tesla killer. I also booked the car last month and then the dealer said it will be att he end of August. Now he said August deliveries moved to September. Its all depnds on the decision from Toyota Global. Production is stopped. I watched Mat Watson youtube reviews on Bz4x. It was fully negative. But the at the end, if the car comes into the European market, it will wipe out all the other cars and I bet 90% of taxis will be Bz4x. But it is not going to be delivered in the near future.

The Bz4Xr3i will not be Tesla killer… (Or the next Tesla killer as every year there are 2-3 ‘Tesla Killers’ released which don’t even get in the same conversation with Tesla, never mind kill them!!

it’s Vauxhall conference vs the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Theres an MG ZS 72 kwh thread on here and posters on it have either picked up their cars recently or will do shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

When A similar EV like bZ4X which has the same price comes into the US market, it will capture the market like a storm. It will be a Tesla killer.

But the at the end, if the car comes into the European market, it will wipe out all the other cars

🤣

You are very bullish in your views. One car is not going to wipe out all the others. You have to be connected to Toyota in some way or else just a fanboy. No one car is going to corner the market or put anyone else out of business.

It will sell well if Toyota decide to produce it in numbers as Toyota has a good reputation and lots of goodwill with customers, but its not a special car in any way, particularly the EV elements of it, which appear to be poor relative to the competition.

Now itself RAV4 is the best selling EV in US.

And where is that coming from? Have you any references? It is not true. Maybe you meant SUV, not EV?

• Advertisement
Advertisement