Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If there's a risk of the wheels coming off and they tell you not to drive, are they going to people's homes for the recall? Because I can imagine them still expecting people to drive them to the service centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The instruction to owners in the US is to park the cars immediately and that nobody should drive one until they come up with a fix.

They are offering free loaner cars to all owners.

I would expect that the BZ4Xs will be collected by recovery trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Its the evil battery in the BEV models pushing the nuts off the wheels.

True fact....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

“If you’re looking for an EV that meets basic transportation needs and are a Toyota loyalist, the bZ4X will be good enough. In an increasingly competitive EV market, however, the 2023 Toyota bZ4X falls short. There are plenty of other — much more innovative — longer-range EVs on sale right now. The bZ4X isn’t one of them.”

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭society4

I bought one of these due to be delivered in July but now told end of Aug. Anyone told a similar timeframe. I’d really wanted it by end July to go in hols in. Anyone told a similar timeframe by their dealerships. Surely it’s an issue with the wheel nuts that can resolved quickly ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd rather wait an extra month or two than get it sooner and the wheels fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The more I see about the BZ4X the more I feel buyers are going to be very disappointed. Just seems to be so many better options available or on the way in the coming months.

True

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Not only that, but they’ll be Toyota loyalists, so it’ll be their first foray into BEV’s, and it’ll be in this pile of parts!!!!

so no doubt they’ll be back into a Self Charging Hybrid quicker than it takes the Bz4Xr3i to fast charge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bioscaller

Hey buddy,

I have one on order myself but asked the dealer yesterday (Sandyford) and they said July is still set. Which dealer is yours from?

• Advertisement

I have one ordered which should arrive July 16th but is probably gonna delayed due to the recent recall.

Toyota offered me 2 grand more trade-in value on my VW Tiguan than my VW dealer did towards an ID4 which would take 6-7 months to arrive.

We were looking for a family car but the car would mostly be charged at home or in work which is free for me and my wife, so the charging curve isn't really a problem for me and the EU BZ FAST charging takes 38 minutes according to recent tests which is needed anyway when you go on longer trips with your family and kids.

It would be my first Toyota but still thinking of pulling out in case it gets delayed and go for the new KIA E-Niro if its possible to get one this year.

However, the car will do just fine for Ireland.

Carroll and kinsella blackrock

Ok thanks.

I guess Sandyford is afraid that some customers pull out and want their deposit back and hiding the info to the last possible day.

I am in touch with Toyota Ireland. Will see when they get back on Monday.

Great, please let me know what they say. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Owners in the US have been told to park their cars and they will be collected by the dealers who will provide free loaner cars.

I'd say Toyota won't be taking any chances here either.

I’ve had 3 Toyotas (2 x hybrids) and looking forward to getting the bz4x. I found Toyota cars brilliant…never break down and great trade in price.

i don’t think the wheel issue is a big deal …most cars are recalled for something or other.

the delay will only be 4 weeks so I’m told.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It probably will suffice for Ireland, but for the same or even less money you could get so much better…..

it’s like having €500 to spend on a new TV, and when the sales guy shows you all the TV’s for €500, instead of getting the 4k Samsung, Smart Sony, UltraHD Philips or 5k LG, you decide to get the 720p Fwang-Sheng-sho TV……

With the shortages and increasing prices, EV prices wont be guaranteed if you order a EV now for next year. Kia and VW stated that already in their small print and more will follow. So by this time next year, a 50k car at the moment can be easily a 55k or 60k car. So the 50k for the sport edition BZ arent that bad imo. Same money only gets you the ID4 Life and as I said, trade in difference between Toyotas and others was a 2k. It ticks a lot of boxes for my family. So yeah 24.894 is what I have to pay after trade in. Id4 Life (174 hp) was 26.914.

Kia with an EV6 was even worst. 28.122 and Hyundai for the Ioniq 5 only for next year and the said trade in value will be far less for the Diesel if prices continue to raise.

... hence the topic here. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Only saw an ad for the first time. The name is just so awkward. I think I'll just call it Beezwax.

• Advertisement

Toyota got back to me and they checked the whole contingent of BZs for Ireland (vin checker) and only 3 cars in Ireland are affected from this recall so far but it wouldn't cause a delay as they would get fixed before handing it over to the customer. Majority of recalls seem left hand drives and premium editions. Rang some dealers in Germany and Holland and they had a few hundred affected cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭micks_address

is the issue they didnt tighten the wheel nuts to the correct torque?

Hey,

Toyota got back to me and they checked the whole contingent of BZs for Ireland (vin checker) and only 3 cars in Ireland are affected from this recall so far but it wouldn't cause a delay as they would get fixed before handing it over to the customer. The few delays they are facing is due to shipping apparently. Majority of recalls seem left hand drives and premium editions. Rang some dealers in Germany and Holland and they had a few hundred affected cars.

Yes that's what they told me and according to them, only the 20inch wheels are affected which means its the premium edition only. They were not tightened with the recommended 110 nm and 45° angle.

Thanks bioscalller….looks unlikely to be long delay (if any)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I thought it was a Waterford whispers news story when I read Toyota, a company with decades of car making heritage had built a car where the wheels were liable to fall off. The misses nearly pissed herself laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

ALthough the wheel bolt issue is disappointing, my dealership in Ashbourne still said it's due for end of July, but I also read last week that the BZ4X is only initially launching with an internal 6.6kw on-board charger, but it's to ship with a better 11kw on-board charger in Q4, that's very disappointing for us early customers as it means we get the short-end of the stick with a slower internal on-board charger unit. I'm half thinking of asking my dealer if I can postpone mine till January as I want the 11kw on-board charger.

What do others think about this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭eagerv

I personally would not buy an EV with 6.6kW on-board charger. Both our cars have 11kW, which imo is the minimum for longer runs where DC charging is not available or perhaps needed.

Why is a 6.6kw not any good? Does it take longer to charge the car/can you still use a fast charger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭eagerv

Of course you can use a DC fast charger, however home installations are at 7.2kW, granted wont make a huge difference at 6.6kW. But enough to perhaps not avail of the 9 hours night rate.

But as I said 11kW is handy for 'slow' AC town chargers etc.

Advertisement