Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Any sign of the big revelations? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Deeec

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A local TD, Michael Collins had raised it

'“What has followed in this case over 26 years is best explained like a rollercoaster, going around in circles but really getting nowhere,” he added.

• There were contradictory reports in the newspapers as to whether or not there was a live investigation, or whether the murder was the subject of a cold-case review, he said.

“Genuinely the people of West Cork are tired of the posturing that is going on locally,” he said, without explaining his meaning.'

News announced a full reinvestigation of the case. It stated that no 'Major' new information was received.

• Advertisement

cue a few more registrations for the north side of the country

I was cutting back trees recently and I got scratches/ small cuts on my arms. It reminded me of Bailey.They were leylandii type trees i cannot remember the exact name. My arms were sore i had to put some Bepantiseptic cream on and then continued with sleeves rolled up

Just thought i would mention it, I do not say it proves anything either way. Here is a photo taken an hour after I got scratches

PS I did not kill anyone

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

i doubt there's any point as the investigation seems to have been badly handled from the start.

though obv for Sohpie's family, I would love if the guilty individual could be found

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Article in the Journal, but it's more about how the cold case team works than this particular case:

https://www.thejournal.ie/ian-bailey-sophie-toscan-du-plantier-serious-crime-review-team-5803567-Jun2022/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

The cold case review is not expected to find the murderer of SDP.

Probably the best outcome possible, would only be the clear vindication of Ian Bailey.

I suspect the real killer is long gone, completely unknown, or more than likely dead at this stage.

I understand the French convicted and sentenced Bailey for the murder already, and for that, they need a boot up the hole...

I hope they don't go looking for statements again from the buffoon Maria Farrell... If she kept her beak out the first time, who knows, they might even have caught the murderer back then.

Part of me thinks this is just an exercise to appease the French... Didn't Macron say he wasn't happy with the Irish not solving the murder?? After all, the French managed it from across the water.

With new technology and a complete from the start up reinvestigation it may be possible to discover who did this. It may be a new fact or something disgarded that opens this up. I would say, although they have stated that there is no 'significant' new evidence there is something that may have potential to solve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

The article I read cited two reasons for restarting.

1) Forensic science has evolved - Maybe the mystery boot sample can be tested.

2) Family circumstances have changed - the detective is now deceased maybe the family want to share the confession - alternatively Ian isn't with Jules anymore so many they are hoping she will implicate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

Alfie Lyons has died as well. The mystery letter writer to Nick Foster was from Schull where Shirley now lives, coincidentally.

It's a long shot to put your chips on any DNA being identified..

Realistically, no matter how big of a pratt the horny Guard was, the Family won't want to bring any trouble to the door now he's dead.

As for Jules... Nothing happening there. She could have pulled the trigger on Bailey many, many moons ago if she had anything on him. The domestic violence was extreme and nobody would have blamed her for dropping him in it..... If she had anything on him that is?

There was so many missed opportunities back in the day, too many officials blinded by the certainty that Bailey did it.

The original investigation was a disaster from start to finish, I was amazed they didn't try to pin it on Lord Lucan. (Name him, shame him, find the supporting evidence later)

I hope Bailey gets fully vindicated, he has a quarter of a century now with this hanging over his head.

As for Sophie... I fear justice will never be served upon her murderer... Maybe if the French authorities looked a little closer to home....??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

It's also possible that GARDA conduct is being reviewed. The team checking if the full review was warranted spent 6 months talking to the investigating AGS members as well as reviewing the case files. They might be able to prove negligence or deliberate GARDA malpractice.

The boot DNA I wouldn't discount either it's discussed over here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MurderAtTheCottage/comments/qbn23e/the_dna_on_sophies_boot/

At the very least they should be able to build a database of those close to the scene and cross reference the sample against them. Why not add in a descendant of the mystery guard and Alfie Lyons and the leading suspects from France. The kinda of stuff you would have expected them to do in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Looks like they are concentrating on the rock and the block.

The blood on the back door handle did not match IB or STdP either.

Either the perp went back up the hill to go into the cottage for some reason (or close the door) or the perp closed the door prior to the struggle going down the hill.

Why would a killer want to close the door?

Also where are all the "hang Bailey" trolls gone? it's almost like their concern was to close down the investigation rather than an interest in justice.

The blood on the back door was Sophie's. Whete are all the pro bailey multiple reg trolls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

Your first line is incorrect and because you are misinformed, you have concluded that the killer cannot be Bailey and that the killer put the blood on the door. Why don`t you edit? Some people actually believe every bit of bulls**t that they read.

• Advertisement

The French investigation said it was "alien blood" i.e. did not match any samples they had. So I won't be editing anything.

I like the idea of maybe being able to abstract DNA from the block that Sophie was assaulted with.

Looking back at 1996, is like looking at the stone age now. Mobile phones were the size of house bricks and hardly worked, so one can only assume the advances in modern forensics has catapulted to a whole new level.

If DNA can be extracted, it may not lead directly to the killer, but it could rule out who wasn't the killer.

I'm guessing this review will be looking at the original investigation, and the many flaws that are obvious. My question would be, how helpful will the Guards be? Blue on blue and all that stuff....?

If DNA can be linked to an individual, that's hitting the jackpot - Everyone's a winner (maybe not the perp).

What if the DNA is linked to the Guards? Can you really see that being broadcast on the RTE News at 6?

If somebody can be identified through DNA, blood, hair or any other substance collected from the murder scene, I would hope the full weight of the law is brought down on them, whoever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Bailey makes me very uncomfortable. He's attention seeking, narcissitic and sleazy. His twitter feed has recently featured pictures of a young woman with his comment "sex on legs" attached (tweet since deleted). He has a history of domestic violence. I don't know if he's innocent or guilty but I can understand why he loomed large in the Gardai's minds, he just can't help himself. The multiple changes of story would be a cause for concern but fuzzy memory sometimes goes with the territory if you have an alcohol problem like he does.

Philip Watson The Telegraph Magazine 14 November 2020

"The only alien DNA detected was in blood recovered from the back door of the house; the identity of that sample remains unknown"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/14/murder-west-cork-irelands-notorious-crime-unsolved-24-years/

The article without paywall (if it works my linking privileges seem to have disappeared) I remember reading about the alien blood in a French forensic report but Google seems to have memory holed it.

Philip Watson - Journalist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

As much as I'd love the murder to be solved, I think its more than a little optimistic at this stage, even if they're able to identify the DNA on the block & stone, the crime scene was so contaminated in the immediate aftermath, its difficult to see how it could properly be used against the perpetrator unless he was an individual from outside the area but even still. Sure Bailey himself was all over the crime scene not long after he found out about it.

If its the garda, I seriously doubt they will want it to come out & will no doubt close ranks & bury it like they did with a lot of other evidence. This is more of an attempt to implicate Bailey & bring him to trial due to French political pressure imo. We have a different DPP now, one who seems more keen than ever to bring people to trial even if they didn't commit a crime so I would imagine any new evidence that links him in anyway or even a statement from another aggrieved local could result in a trial.

He's written three letters to the Garda Commissioner asking for a cold case review but the old adage, "be careful what you wish for comes to mind".

Sheridan Doc says the blood on the door was Sophies. I think i saw elsewhere there may have been some alien DNA in that sample too. thatcould have been anyone who touched the door previously and then Sophie's bloody hand touched it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Evergreen_7

Wasn’t there dna on her boot that didn’t belong to Bailey?

this review is good news, I can only assume or hope they must have something new or else they wouldn’t bother but who knows.

bailey is a narcissist, compulsive liar, woman beater and pedo (according to folk on Twitter who’ve posted screenshots of his disgusting messages to a 15 year olds account). He fits the bill based on that. Even if he’s innocent of murder I’ve got zero sympathy for him, he’s inserted himself into the case and seems to do anything for a news story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement