Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Richie Hogan is just the type of knacky player that might make the difference in the Semi. Personally I think it could be a humdinger of a game. Kilkennys experience of playing in Croke Park is definitely worth a few points ,as always but Clare are a very good side. Some fascinating match ups . The middle 8 is where it ll be won and lost. Clare are very mobile around the middle but Kilkenny are solid there. 3 semi final in a row losses would surely signal the end for Brian. There's an awful lot riding on this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭davidx40

Looking like a very small crowd going to be there ....not expecting to come near 40,000

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Even though I'm going up myself, I'm not a huge fan of semi finals being on, on a Saturday evening. Semis should be kept for Sundays and Sundays only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

The 2 semi finals in 2018&19 on Saturday's with no covid related crowd restrictions absorbing games, don't have an issue personally, problem with the Leinster final was the 7pm throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Different times people are only surviving this weather the GAA seems to be in a shocking hurry to get things over done with you have to wonder no county matches for nearly six months.

• Advertisement

Hope if he is he is used better than the semi final last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Village87

Be nothing wrong with Thurles for this one. Much better atmosphere than half empty Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Why? Saturday night let’s people go out for a meal / few drinks before or after.

work Monday morning puts people off travelling up to Dublin.

it’s pure tradition about Sundays, that’s what stops club games being held on any other day but a Sunday also. Times change for the better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not sure about the Saturday night thing allowing people to go out for a meal and a few drinks. If people have a two hour drive either way for example for a 7pm start (such as the Leinster final) it's probably leaving home around 4 and getting home 11pm when you allow for traffic, parking, and all associated delays.

Saturday PM is terrific for the TV viewer I can see the arguments against a Saturday night for the person attending. And bear in mind many people work on Saturdays.

I like Saturday PM games but I do see the reservations that many have and it seems to me to be practicality rather than tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Richie Hogan has barely gotten a run all year so in my view there's no chance Cody will give him the nod on Saturday in a semi final. His time is up and God only knows why he is still persevering with it at this stage, after barely being played for the last couple of years at this stage. Brilliant player in his day.

• Advertisement

What are Kilkenny posters thoughts on Fergal Horgan as the big match ref?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Probably one of the better refs at the moment, I wouldn’t have any complaints anyway. Less attention seeking or likely to be swayed by the crowd than some of the others

time has to be up at the end of this year. He was nearly back, was on the bench for one of the games and was injured again. Can’t catch a break. Would be great to see him back for a game but be surprised if he’s not seriously short on speed at this age. Be a bit worried pace wise if tj, padraig and Richie were on at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Shot the lights out in the last training match by all accounts but I still can't see Cody using him in such a big game, he couldnt have the speed over the Clare backs.

Id love him to prove me wrong but.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Could play him off the full forward and up for knockdowns when the game becomes stretched in the 2nd half. There's no way he should start the match but he'd be an option off the bench for something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

This hurrying narrative really bugs me, this year's championship runs from April 16-July 24 (99 days) , last championship pre covid in 2019 ran from May 10-August 25 (106 days), shaving off 1 week is hardly a seismic shift, essentially the only adjustment was they got rid of the April club month which wasn't respected by alot of inter county managers, in my opinion the biggest issue in GAA in the last 10 years was the uncertainty club players faced regards when matches will and won't be played, i don't know if this year's calendar will be a success or not but any attempts to eradicate the problem i mentioned has to be given a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭brookville

The talk is Richie Is going well. We'll know Friday evening if his listed on the subs. I think he'll be listed on the subs but we all seen what went on against cork last year.Richie has worked fierce hard to get to where he is now.He has such good vision and awareness he could do a job floating when things open up.We probably needed the 4 week break to get a few injuries sorted and we've being good to manage these few weeks before,Clare have had a busy schedule and a few injuries.hopefully a few of our fowards found a bit of form.We need to get eoin cody more involved and a move out around the half forward line would do no harm.Our backs have done well enough to date it's 8-15 where the inconsistency has being but clares fowards will bring plenty of movement. We know we'll need a huge improvement and training must of being hot the last few weeks. Hopefully we get the match ups right.It will be a big step up for butler ìf he goes on kelly but wexford had alot of their important players curtailed. Lawlor is hugely important to us and his battle with duggan should be good.The likes of Taylor and David Fitzgerald have being going well.

This is our 3rd semi final In a row and the two previous semi finals we were in good positions to win but we imploded. This group of players need to win Saturday and make an all Ireland or else we're just not progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Keep a good drum beat of varied ball into the forwards to keep them guessing, hopefully keep the scoreboard ticking over so we're at least within 5 points, bring Richie on with 15 minutes to go, take a few chances with high ball dropping in around the square with him and TJ crowding the edge of the square looking for breaks, test that full back line and dodgy keeper with two of the wiliest hurlers in the business. Anything is possible pace notwithstanding.

Needless to say I'm feeling optimistic tonight. Tomorrow morning I'll probably be back to reality.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine I for one might not bother next year with the Gaa because saturday matches do not suit me always a working day is gone. last sunday you had two teams in croke park there season was decided on a penalty shoot out.

We will wait see how this year turns out with the club end of things after all its a trial.

• Advertisement

I'll keep trying to go but its a struggle, first year i've missed a leinster championship game in a long time. Theres no need to have leinster and munster games on different days, there's not enough big games that they cant organise the match times for tv on the sunday or have deferred viewing like they've done before. Getting rid of the league semi and maybe adding an extra week gap might be enough of a tweak, I would prefer not to get to the league semis or final with the gap to the first championship game at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I think most games should be of a Saturday. Way better to have work off the next day. Personally I like the late evening starts and the opportunity to have a meal before with my family and go out for a drink after. Most field sports have games of a Saturday rather than Sunday. I dont mind getting home late. I dont think the average GAA supporter works more of a Saturday than anyone else. Tradition dictates alot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Grats

Many supporters would be in agreement with you.

its not work for me thats the issue, Saturday is for taxiing kids around to their activities :(, wouldn't mind having the time to sit down and have a meal and a few drinks before or after a game. Its a pain organising things ahead of time as well when you cant be sure what day the matches will be on

Funny thing is that the club games will go ahead and everyone will be content. The question of the best option will probably be a matter of personal taste rather than because it all went wrong.

The funny thing is that under the old system only four hurling counties had a game after the last week in July anyway. It's a huge change to make to the inter-county championship (and the numbers who like to attend) given the small amount of County championships that will actually benefit. Most County championships can be run off happily with no impact from the inter-County ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

If Richie Hogan is fit enough to play Inter county hurling he should be a cert to see playing time. If he is not fit enough to play inter county hurling he has no business being at training.

It really is that simple.

In general there has been a shift in recent years to athletes continuing to play at the highest levels well in to their 30s, even ones who have been plagued with niggling injuries throughout their careers.

Nadal has been plagued with injuries his whole career, yet at 36 will play Wimbledon just weeks after being on crutches after his French Open win.

The media is always ushering great players in to retirement with constant "will this be your last year". I wish people would tell them to piss off and say "I'll play as long as I can once I am fit enough and enjoying it"

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Is conor Fogarty definitely out with a broken thumb.i have heard it a few times but nothing confirmed by Kilkenny camp.

its a bit more than a niggling injury though, its a lot of work to get to possibly only one game in the year, must be very tough mentally to keep going. If he doesn't make this game it could be April before he gets another chance, unlikely to be playing league again. Hope he's not doing any long term damage.

did an interview on off the ball earlier this year when he spoke about the injuries for anyone that didn't hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g31P8_xZRt8

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Saturday night let’s people go out for a meal / few drinks before or after."

Thatd cost yaa the price of a holiday .........

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

I'm all honesty I think it is definitely a different mindset to the average group/family travelling to a game.

Advertisement