Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of warfare (How should Ireland build their millitary)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭nokpam

We have access to multiple sources of information from different perspectives these days but most Irish still in Ireland rely on RTE.

It's the 'soft' tech that we need. Not artillery. And tech is what we're good at.

We would never be invaded. No need to as we have nothing Russia wants. Our waters and unprotected areas are what Russia can exploit.

But hey! We've got fishermen!

I know that we don't do well at cooperating with either the EU or the Brits, but, with a lunatic at large.............?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

I'm afraid the powers that be know exactly what is going on and have made forced choices on the PDF to shift it from 14,500 to 9,500 personnel following the Report on the Commission on Remuneration and Conditions in the Defence Forces July 1990. With the latest Census we are at 5.1m population and should aspire to a PDF, inclusive of reserves, of 25,000 or 0.5% of Population.

If budget remains static and pay increases then numbers , conditions, and capital acquisitions are moved downwards.

As regards media, most news is orchestrated and often seasonal and topical. it can be led by lobbyists, financial interests, political parties etc. Large parts of media are used to eulogize entities and those making money out of the Irish environment. We are the dearest country in Europe, we are leaders in Medical, Chemical and technical output. we HQ some of the world's biggest tech Corporations and yet we minimise Defence and Social protection so much so you would think strange non-national Gurus are in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Plusone on the fishermen but who says Russia is our likely enemy? More likely nearer to home. What we need is to make it too hard for what it may be worth to a rogue state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Safe to say current UK govt is so compromised by Russian assets it may as well be the Russian Govt itself. The damage the current Russian leader and his minions have done internationally are difficult to nail down, but wherever there has been an election or referendum, in the last decade or so there has been evidence of Russian interference. The fact that many of the cyber attacks on vital systems emanate from within Russia is no coincidence either, even if the attacks themselves cannot be traced directly to the Kremlin.

But anyone who has ever been to Russia or knows anyone who lived there knows, everything you do online, the Kremlin is aware of.

Currently Russia is the one invading countries who are not our allies.

The UK is in NATO. They're not rogue. Just arrogant twats lol.

Turkey is also a NATO member, and is facilitating the smuggling of stolen Ukrainian grain through the Bosporus.

The thing is that if the UK touched Ireland now, I'm pretty sure that the wrath of 1000 generations would be unleashed on them lol so the UK aren't a military force to be reckoned with from our personal standpoint. Their power is in wealth and international power. Militarily, there is no point arming Ireland heavily. It would be the equivalent of arming Barbados heavily; not terribly useful. We would only ever be a target from which to base nukes to the UK or the US. From that point of view, we could do with some sort of defensive weaponry I suppose should Putin decide to set up base camp in Wicklow lol.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I'm not sure who's running things these days as some recent Supreme Court decisions in the US have been questionable to say the least. Who is buying those dudes?

There is money in war. Who's got their hands on the controls though? Anyone's guess at this point!

The war games by Russia off the coast of Cork were a metaphorical fishing exercise rather than a literal one lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well they are unilaterally prepared to renage on an international agreement. Who knows what a future more extreme UK administration might do?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

Barbados a nice place I have been there a few times but does not compare to the unique position of the island of Ireland. We are located on the sea lanes North and South of the Approaches to Europe , larger ships from the North of Europe are routed down our west Coast, and most Atlantic air corridors pass over Ireland. In addition our Western EEZ is submarine playground and deterrent pool. We just need to know what's there and intervene as necessary to show our awareness during peacetime. As regards lethal intervention we must enforce our rights and emulate Finland of old and Ukraine of today.

Our retarding problem is the cause of our alleged neutrality and that is the northern occupation. it is weakened somewhat by the GFA and may allow us to join an alliance as a contributing partner. I think depending on others to do it is weak and one can admire the decision of two little Baltic States joining together to purchase a co-ordinated Air Defence System.

Biden is more allied with Ireland than he is with the UK. On the political world stage, the UK is more powerful than Ireland, but you can take the man out of Ireland, but you can never take Ireland out of the man. I know Biden isn't first generation Irish but he's Irish and the UK knows that. No matter how much Boris' father rants about leaving the Irish to just bomb themselves or how much Priti Patel wants to impose sanctions on Ireland and starve us, it's not going to go down well internationally. Biden at the helm is not popular in Britain as they know that he will protect Ireland. Clinton was the same (not Irish?) and instrumental in facilitating talks leading to the GFA. The Irish vote in the US is a massively powerful one.

When Biden was elected, there was a youtube video doing the rounds where a BBC reporter asked him for a comment saying that she was from BBC. His response was 'I'm Irish'.

The EU however, knows how strategically positioned we are and how unprotected we are. We should be helping THEM and ourselves out! Russia could exploit our defenceless position.

If you ever fancy taking me to Barbados - I'm free! ;)

I think that it's time for us to give up our neutrality. We were never terribly neutral nor against defending ourselves ;)

I know that we don't need to get involved necessarily, but we need some sort of defence mechanisms and to be able to defend ourselves with more than fishermen! Hats off to the fishermen though!

I think the Russian exercise was a test to see who would react and how. They now know that NATO (of which we're not a member?) will not intervene on our behalf. We're a weak spot and they have confirmed that by the inaction by anyone bar the fishermen to intervene while they were in our fishing waters.

If I was Putin and wanted to set up a base to nuke Europe, England and the US, I would pick Ireland!

For now I think his sole mission is to regain the former Soviet Union states. He seems to be getting ever more brutal. Last I read, he bombed a shopping centre in the Ukraine while 1000 people were inside it. He's a lunatic no matter what way you look at it and entirely unpredictable. The Ukraine was begging NATO and the EU for years about the build up of troops on their borders etc. Poland, in the EU and NATO I think? were saying the same thing! Nobody listened.

Putin has already said that he'll nuke London.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1617151/putin-superweapon-uk-kinzhal-nuclear-war-ukraine-russia

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/06/21/vladimir-putin-threatens-unleash-satan-ii-nuclear-missile-year/

This is from one of those articles:

Professor Andrew Futter, an international relations expert at the University of Leicester, told Express.co.uk that the UK’s lack of defensive weaponry would leave the country extremely vulnerable if a strike was launched.

He said: “We don't have the ability to intercept and destroy incoming Russian ballistic missiles.

“Since the early Cold War, the UK has effectively relied on deterrence because defence (either active missile defences or passive civil defence) are hugely expensive and in some cases unworkable.

“UK policy rests on the threat of nuclear retaliation after a strike.

So the UK effectively needs to go nuke.

• Advertisement

Not being a member of NATO is partly the reason why the Ukraine is fucked and under attack. Russia knows very well that Ireland isn't part of NATO. The NATO alliance essentially protects those within it, but not anyone outside of it. Russia knows that attacking a NATO nation is not a good idea, but Ukraine and Ireland are not in NATO and he KNOWS.

Britain would protect us merely as a defence of themselves. But we're extremely vulnerable and Putin is not entirely sane!

This is an interesting read by the way. It has various ways of measuring the relative intelligence of different countries.

Ireland features in one measurement. Russia doesn't feature in any measurement but Belarus does ;)

You need to scroll down through the article as it's measured in several ways. Netherlands and Germany, Finland and Ireland are about the only countries that feature in any of the measurements.

Perhaps we should make friends with China? Or Japan!

The relevance of me posting that is that we can outsmart the Russians. We outwitted the Brits!

We need to use our smarts. We need someone at the helm who isn't political and who realises our military position. As I said earlier, we're world-leading in tech. We should use it. We should absolutely be building up some detection ability (at the very least!!!) and defensive ability ideally. If we come under attack, we're kinda fucked as we're not a NATO member and we can see how that is going for the Ukraine.

Why do you think Finland has joined NATO all of a sudden?

We have the ability. We just need someone who isn't worried about filling potholes in Abbeylara getting him votes.

We're bordering on lunacy in these times by playing dumb. 800 years of occupation should have taught us something.

You should quote whoever you are replying to, instead of having a long train of unrelated posts. Difficult to follow your train of thought.

• Advertisement

Advertisement