Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Was the Shield match a Golf Ireland INterclub? if so it might have been the last day for it to be played and would have had to be cancelled i think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sad to hear of the passing. I've never heard of a concession, don't get it. Some clubs close the course as a mark of respect which I simply do not get, if the late golfer was that much associated with the game surely a day of full 4balls out playing the game they loved would be the perfect send off, closing seems bizarre.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Format in a 3 person champagne scramble (I think it was champagne anyway)

1 to count first 6 holes

2 to count second 6 holes

3 to count third 6 holes

Winning score was 106 points

Is this not an absolutely abhorrent score? (I didn’t play in it)

Essentially for every scoring person (36 in total) they averaged 2.94 points. Especially when it’s all 3 to count that must’ve been some serious shooting

Seen that time after time, outrageous handicaps, gimmies etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Seems a bit off the wall to me. What was second out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sounds like a score of a regular champagne scramble.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

2nd 103

3rd 101

I remember saying to a friend of mine that played (and scored 96) saying that if a group got over 100 it is serious shooting

Ya maybe, when it’s 2 to score every hole or something

But in this one with all 3 having to finish on the last 6 holes it must have been a day where they all clicked ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a low handicapper, but why do we use countback in club competitions in Ireland?

It makes no sense to me whatsoever, if there's a tie the lower handicapped player should win.

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

But aren't handicaps there to make things equal? Then why should the lower guy win?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yes and they do, but what has the last 9 holes, 6, or 3 got to do with anything?

I think, especially in Stableford, that it's harder shoot a score that outstrips your handicap the lower you are. Actually it's not think, it just is for reasons of variance.

To adjust for this I think the tiebreaker should be the handicap index. Just think it would make things fairer and also further incentivise getting lower (shouldn't be a consideration but is for some).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

You're right that it doesn't make sense, but you need some way to decide it that's fair to everyone and this way isn't bad. A coin toss I suspect would be slightly better, but it wouldn't feel right.

Just giving it to the lower handicap would be awful. As a mid handicapper this would sometimes be in my favour, sometimes not. But it's not a way I'd be happy to win or lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

So a 9HC and a 10HC shoot 35points, but the 9HC gets the prize?

Makes no sense to me, if you want the lower score to win use a scratch cup.

Exactly, the 9 HC is the better golfer or is at that moment in time and I think that should be the tiebreaker.

Say a 5HC breaks par to shoot 42 points and a 28 handicapper chips a bit better and has 6 bogies and 12 doubles to shoot 42, I think the 5HC has played significantly better relative to their own skill level than the 28 who has played for him what would be nicely, not a career day or anything.

No - they have played that much better than their handicap

It’s hard to grasp in fairness but that’s the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Think there's a far bigger conversation point there than just the countback scenario?

A guy shooting level par and a guy shooting mid 90s, both returning 42 points, aren't at the same level and shouldn't be in the running for the same prize/recognition imo.

Thankfully our club has brought back categories. Really good rounds of golf shouldn't be getting lost in really good rounds of handicap golf (I'm in no danger of doing either fwiw).

Yeah we have cat prizes too, but they're very much secondary to the overall.

I think it would just be a simple adjustment to acknowledge the consistency and hard work of the lower guys while at the same time not effecting the point of handicaps in allowing everyone to compete against each other

In average the lower you are the harder you've worked at it. But there are plenty of guys who are annoyingly talented who can be single figures without doing any more than playing most weekends. And plenty more who practice and get lessons and will never be better than mid teens.

Category prizes are a good idea if you've enough numbers. A gross prize is a good idea too. But using handicap as a tiebreaker - it just doesn't give people an equal chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'll be expecting you to retroactively hand over your Captains prize from CharlieIRLs year now Big Easy.

Happy to have a line through your name and mine inserted on the trophy too

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

The logic of deciding a winner based on last 9, 6, 3 holes etc is that it gives the nod to the person playing best over the last holes and thereby "likely", if continued, to produce the better score. I know that is not certain but seems to me it is a reasonable basis to make the decision.

Obviously wouldn't apply to society golf! Which is a whole other thing 😉

So I was lucky enough win a prize at Rathsallagh Open a few years back, I'm not often in that neck of the woods so I asked for the voucher (pro shop) to be posted out but they refused saying they have me on file and prize can be collected any time. Fast forward past Covid years and I could be passing next week so phoned up. The pro has changed so they won't honour the prize. Sorry etc but a straight no.

It's not about the prize but just irks me, the whole point of an Open for me is to travel and take the opportunity to play different courses, yes it's competition too and entry to competition is paid for. What use is a pro shop voucher for folk who travelled a fair bit to compete. At the very least they should take the time to post out the voucher, deduct the cost of the stamp if they want!

That's very vs form from them. No excuse for it.

It’s bad form from Rathsallagh - However I wouldn’t pin any blame on the new pro anyway (not that you are)

Won’t name club, but there is one where the club owed the Head Pro a fortune in unpaid vouchers (and t-shirts, jumpers etc.) for competition prizes and he never saw the money (and left). Assume he still hasn’t ever been paid for them. So for the vouchers, the new head pro in Rathsallagh has no part of this. If anything it might be worth giving him a buzz to see if he could do you some sort of a deal?

Thats why some places now have moved towards GUI (Golf Ireland) vouchers instead. Makes more sense

Golf Ireland vouchers perfect solution, just post them out! I've no blame on new pro, nothing to do with him

Is Carton House much use?

Monty and O Meara both €70 next Wednesday (might try ringing them to knock few more quid off)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Having played the monty on the boards outing a few months ago, yes.. take a sprint through the thread to see if it would convince you to get out.

• Advertisement

Thank you - Must have a look

I’m off 8 and a fairly long hitter for a handicap. Friend is very casual - so must have a look if it’s a suit!

Advertisement