Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Joined a club this year and have struggled to get out as I am busy and so is the time sheet!

Wanted to play on a Sunday a couple of weeks ago and they had some kind of competition on. 2 ball better ball or something. I didn’t want to play and neither did any of the other lads(I know two of them, the other not at all).

Competition secretary has sent me a friendly email asking why I didn’t take part?

If I put my name down do I have to take part?

Should I expect a warning or anything?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In regards to putting your name down on a day there's competitions on, it's whatever your club policy says is what you should do by right.

My club is on competition days if you're teeing it up I think between 8am-12:30pm or something then you must play the comp. Depends on how busy the course was/time of day too imo. If you took up a prime slot like 11am where everyone around you was playing the comp but ye weren't; you've potentially blocked out a paying competition member. However, if there's no club policy in place surrounding that situation then it's fair game.

If hardly anyone played that comp over that weekend and they're simply just asking you why didn't you bother playing, at least you can say you've no interest in those types of comps and they may adjust future competitions in-turn if there's no interest for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

You put you name down and didn't show up? If that's the case then yes that is bad form, especially if the club has a busy time sheet as it most likely means someone else has missed out because you have blocked the spot on the time sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

No all four of us just played our own ball. None of us scoring well!

Oh sorry, now I'm with you. I'm not sure what the rules are on that to be honest. I would have thought the club with have just put your cards down as DQ as you didn't play within the rules of the competition you entered. I'm fairly certain you can't put your name on a time sheet during competition times but then decide to play that round as a casual round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

But there would be no cards as they played a casual round.

My club is fair game for time slots, you don't have to play the competition if you don't want, however the only kind of pre requisite would be that you keep pace of play, fourball playing their own ball could potentially fall behind a better ball format - not saying ye did....

I think a lot of people assume you have to play in the comp, I remember getting some funny looks from playing partners when I told them I wasn't in the comp and was just playing casually - I pay enough money every year on my sub, don't need to be coughing up €5 once or twice a week for comps - especially when you need 40+ points to feature in the prizes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Would depend on the demand for the competition times I'm sure. Some clubs are full 3-4 days before the competition while others have times never used.

I think that is very much dependant on the club. I know our club has a waiting list for the competitions ever Saturday and Sunday so they generally won't allow you take up a competition time slot if there is 20 lads waiting to play in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Regarding Open weeks for golf courses. How do you find out what clubs are having open weeks and dates etc.

I played a few last year but they were last minute phone calls from mates or my brothers to say its open week here or there. Be good to know more in advance so you can plan them better.

Is there a list or website or do you have to go to each club's website to find out?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If you booked in to comp by taking a comp time and didn’t put in a card , then yes they’ll tell you not to do it again. In advance you can ask the pro to make it a non comp time (they might not if people are waiting list)

the club have no way of knowing are you all going to put in a card of playing well, or not. They do know that if you indicated an intention to play a comp by booking in and then don’t put in a card then you are going against the point of whs system. You must put in cards for any comp entered or if notifying intention to play a counting round. Basically you are protecting your handicap it sounds like which is obviously not a terrible thing but it is against the point of whs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

would a 2 ball better ball be a counting round?

i wouldnt have thought so.

as for booking a competition time. As a member he can book and play at what time he likes. surely he is not under any obligation to enter comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

Just reading @callaway92 on the Links Thread there re driving onto a green and not calling fore. I had a similar in Grangecastle recently on the Par 5 18th where playing partner's ball landed about 20 yards short and ran up onto the green. Now it did pass out the players on the green but the pin was left side and this ran on the right side.

We never shouted fore and got the glare and grumps afterwards from the guys on the green who hung around signing their cards just to emphasise the point. For me, Fore is a term of danger so when he didn't shout it, I also wouldn't see it as necessary as it literally ran along the green 10 yards away from them.

Is "Fore" an interpretation for people or should it always be used no matter the situation?

I'd always use it, I love a great big bellow of fore, usually behind my playing partners ear. It's a guilty pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's an easily reachable par 5 with two good whacks, so maybe it was more a case of them thinking that your partner should have just waited rather them being really concerned for their safety.

Personally I wouldn't be bothered by it and I don't think I would have shouted fore while they were putting / presumably never in any danger.

A hand in the air as a sign of an apology usually works to diffuse similar situations, and just make sure you get the first word in on the green to apologise that we didn't think it would run on etc etc...

Would work in the majority of cases I imagine but you'll always get a few who just want to be annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd lean towards shouting if there's any reason to, but I know some don't like doing that. But a ball trickling onto a green - obviously you didn't think there was a chance it would do that or you wouldn't hit. Then if they're at the back of the green and it trickles onto the front.... I think not shouting and then just apologising when you see them next is the right call.

But if you're ball is not going to hit anyone but will possibly frighten the life out of them, then you should shout. Very annoying to get startled by a ball landing near you. The fact that they could see it wasn't going to actually hit you is grand, but a shout could protect my heart.

In my eyes, Fore is there to signal danger (perhaps not seeing where your ball is gone or if you see if putting people at risk)

Ball rolling onto the green is not danger - and moreso is something that can create something to laugh about.

Hardly gonna shout fore for lads to cower with hands on their heads when a ball is rolling onto the green. I think it’s just people being cunce for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I must admit, I have a habit of not shouting fore if I know it's not going to hit them but could be landing close enough to them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Fore is an alert, if someone is on the green putting and a ball trickled by during their stroke it could cause a "mis-putt".

Just as easy to shout Fore to alert those on the green then the usual follow up with an apology IMHO

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

"Fore!", originally a Scots interjection, is used to warn anyone standing or moving in the flight of a golf ball.

I'd take that as if the people are in line with it then shout. They weren't in line with it

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

If my ball is going to pitch within 50 yds of the green I will wait to hit.

To hear a ball pitching while putting is off putting.

In all cases if the ballis off line or going towards anyone ,fore is mandatory

• Advertisement

I think that’s going ott to be honest

’To hear a ball pitching is off-putting’

I mean - there’s sounds the whole time

To be fair a ball landing 40/50yds away makes a distinctive noise and would be enough to put most people off. I would be similar and hold off, 2 minutes wont kill me.

Kinda falls into the category if people looking for something to moan about in my view. I understand both viewpoints though

Yeah I see it from your point of view aswell. It's similar to lads talking loudly a fairway over, it can be off putting but I'm always saying I need to be able to play well when things like that happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

That would annoy me. If I'm watching a horror movie I want those jump scares. If I'm golfing I do not!

I'd be in bakerbhoy's court in not hitting if I'm going to land it near someone. If I'm going for a green and at best I'll trickle onto the front I won't hit. If they've been on the green a while they should just take a minute to move on. If they're not on the green long it will mean I won't be standing beside them when they're putting. And then we'll be done on the green and they'll just have teed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

But one of the pace of play problems is guys waiting because they, might just might, trickle on, or as you say pitch 30 or 40 yards from the green.

It's nonsense, you know if you can fly it there or not, if you can't fly it there and at best will trickle towards the front of the green play away and speed things up. Now context is always important, if there's no one behind and it's quiet on the course them maybe take your time. Weekend comp, keep the pace up and keep moving. And we all know that after waiting for the green to clear from 230, we proceed to chunk it in front of ourselves!

Now some course have different etiquettes, but where pace of play is seen as a problem, you'll get some looks for waiting for the green to clear when you can't get there.

As I said most people know what's dangerous or not. Possibly dangerous, do not hit, anything else come on let's speed up!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Random question for everyone...a member of our club died this week, former captain/treasurer, and as a mark of respect, we conceeded our Shield match against a local club on Saturday. I didn't know him, but he was supposed to be a very nice man and well respected.

Is conceding a match like this a tradition in golf? I would have thought playing the match, and winning, would be a better way to pay respects to a golfer. Not seen it before, so wasn't sure.

Or maybe i'm just an asshole 🤣

Not sure how conceding a match could be seen as a sign of respect etc

I’m guessing they didn’t try to reschedule the match with the other team?

Things like that can often be one person suggesting it and then others afraid to say no for fear of coming across potentially poorly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That was the only thing i was thinking it might be, and may well be the case.

We rescheduled a different match that was due to be played today, so i just assumed we'd have done the same for the Shield match (unless they weren't able/allowed).

Advertisement