Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

With the same judges who swore before voted in that the question was settled law and would not be overturned; i.e. you can easily guess the next rulings as well. But I guess the Dems should be grateful for the boost for upcoming election.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, this is why the whole Lifetime Appointment of judges needs to end; but neither party is going to risk giving up this kind of power. Same sex marriage I'd have guessed Conservatives were after - but for some reason it never occurred contraception might be a target. This is some hardcore stuff - the snark of Gilead never felt more acute.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It’ll do nothing for the midterms. Petrol is too expensive.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its to early to know, to be honest a lot of the takes I see online are obviously wish casting. It might depress Republican turnout in the suburbs and obviously it should give the Dems a boost somewhat , but as a counterpoint Conservatives shouldn't have an issue with turnover as for the vast majority of them Roe v Wade was an abomination and isn't that what they want?

I thought the Portnay take was interesting, he has always been pro choice, but he represents a base of voter who would have loathed lockdowns, would describe themselves as politically incorrect and may have been leaning GOP but the hardcore social conservatism is even more off putting than the more annoying elements of the Democrat party. Depends on how many of those type of voters are out their really.

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1540356814579146753

It’s not too early, IMO of course. People will shout loudly, but they weren’t going to vote GOP anyway. The swing voters will vote on the economy or stay at home. It’s depressingly predictable. I hope I’m wrong.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

a lot of women and gays might be voting blue in the mid terms

It will be interesting to see how the Republicans in blue/purple states handle it. They obviously don't want to be called Rinos by the religious right, but they also want to win elections. Youngkin in Virginia who whether you like his politics or not is clearly a shrewd operator is saying 15 weeks. That's a position that electorally makes sense. De Santis has similar legislation on Florida, however will he come under the pressure to make that more restrictive?

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1540361628155355140

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It kept Kissinger out of the Presidency. Not sure that is a good thing or not.

[Kissinger's brother, who spoke with a regular American accent, was asked why his brother, Henry, did not, said 'Henry never listens to anybody!']

Yip. GOP will comfortably take the house and likely the senate in November. Barring something catastrophic or the most orderly massive economic adjustment happening in the next 18 months Biden will be out on his arse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If only there was something that would've happened in the last 24 hours to motivate sway voters into voting Democrat? The supreme Court ruling today will catalyse that vote considering 83% support federal legislation on women's bodily rights.

So I wouldn't be so sure

• Advertisement

Stay in your fantasy world so, millions of people just like you are how the GOP stay in power and solidify their power.

This was news a couple of months ago. The polls didn't move. It's regurgitated news today, let's see the 2% drop that reverts in a couple of weeks.

The polling around abortion is weak but abortion will still be legal in most states, its just a question of how conservative regarding the timeframe the right wing ones shall be.

Eg in Florida its 15 weeks and what Youngkin is aiming for is supported by the majority in polling released in April.

The house is gone although this might save a few spots, the senate is still more in play than people think not particularly due to this, but how weak the likes of Masters, Walker, Oz and possibly Greitens are in there respective states.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah yeah sure screw the woman in those states...the people with the money sure can go to another state...what about the rest?

Not saying I support it at all, just debating the point whether its going to be huge benefit to the Dems in November.

News of the leaked memo was released then, but at that stage there no guarantee that the Supreme Court would enact it.

Now there's talk of rescinding gay marriage and contraception.

This is all bad news for the right as it'll seriously motivate the traditionally 'lazy' dem voters and the swing voters.

Do you think these moves by the Supreme Court benifit the Republicans in light of the forthcoming elections? And if so why?

This is all great news for the right. They’ve been working on this for 40 years and have won. Thinking it’ll motivate any voters to push back is delusional, they’ve never pushed back before.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think you're both right. Will there be a bump from an angry electorate? Yes, I think there's a good chance the young and liberal bases might just mass on the voting booths.

But what chance has what consistently amounts to a majority of thought in the US when the entire electoral system has been manufactured to work against them? From modern day Jim Crow in Georgia, to blatant gerrymandering, to what we're see now and a lifetime of Conservative Supreme Court judges (I believe there are cases a judge can be removed but it's incredibly hard).

And even if the voting public fight past all that, unless it's a record breaking blowout, charlatans like Manchin will continue to hold sway and basically sabotage any sniff of electoral reform (and again, in a duopoly, even Democrats won't remove potential weapons, I have my doubts they want reform either TBH).

The push back from trump got the worst Democrat candidate elected in the GA, so I would expect the same

I hope you’re right. But I’ve zero faith left.

they/them/theirs

We're back to fantasy land now. Once the draft was leaked it was never going to be changed. Seriously again, this is why the Republicans wield such out-sized power. Every step along this way has been met with naivete and childish notions about right and wrong from the Democrats. RBG wanting some amazing moment where her successor would be nominated by the first female president, lack of knowledge about how the law works, more than a decade of complete neglect of local and state politics, all that great stuff.

When we see the Democrats actually mobilise and have a 6-10 year plans to take state legislatures and actually having a presence in states where they can't win every time then I'll believe that things might finally change. 19 little children being slaughtered isn't enough for them to change how they vote either way. A woman in Mississippi not being able to get an abortion (I know it wasn't the easiest state to begin with) will be unlikely to sway a voter in a purple state to vote Democrats when their kid has had to move back in with them because rent costs nearly as much as minimum wage in places.

I would suggest a 50 quid charity bet on who wins the House in November but you'd be mad because you can get 5/1 on the Democrats winning with the bookies. Which is about right, other than direct intervention in a conflict somewhere I don't see another path.

• Advertisement

Quiet part said loud, or genuine verbal gaff?

President Trump, on behalf of all the Maga patriots in America, I want to thank you for the historic victory for white life in the supreme court yesterday,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Quiet part loud. Definitely.

The anti-choice movement was always partly white supremacist.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Interesting to see what happens after the mid-terms. If the dems have control will Biden have the beans to expand the court and pack it?

What happens then when DeSantis gets the nod? Just expand the Court further again and pack that expansion with Christian Conservative judges? Harder to achieve but the lifetime aspect of he appointment needs to be killed off. That and senate term limits.

It does sound like she did misread but what a Freudian slip though.

The issue about packing the supreme court is it always assumes the GOP will never be in the position to do the same , so when does it stop?

Term limits should be something that should be prioritised however, its absurd you have people refusing to step down until they die because they don't want to give the other side a pick. Its something that their is support on both sides.

It's remarkable the fear Trump instilled in America than nobody ever asked how farcical it was that any vaguely liberal leaning direction within in highest body, hinged on a then octogenarian judge staying alive. Ginsberg was a titan but should never have been required of her to keep going - or else Christian Extremism won.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The GOP have already gerrymandered the court. I'm sure the GOP will continue to do so given the chance. The dems are rolling in a mudbath with the GOP and are afraid it get dirty. The GOP have no such fear.

Her not stepping down when Obama had the numbers stains her and also Obama's legacies sadly.

Thomas from all accounts strikes me as someone who will be on the benches until he dies, even if you like him that's utterly insane.

But then the most important people in American politics are Biden, Trump, Pelosi and Mitch who are all around 80 years old, utterly ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So, am I correct that the number of supreme court seats was initially set to match the number of circuit courts? So why didn't that number increase as extra circuit courts were added? Do I have this all wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Christy42

DeSantis will expand the courts if it suits him whether or not Biden does it now. I don't get the Democrats should be really nice or Republicans will break the rules when Republicans are already breaking every rule that suits them.

Advertisement