Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to a house?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭growleaves

Okay you've convinced me, I'll settle for a free apartment.

I'll try not to spill beer on the wood flooring when I'm watching Judge Judy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Sweet,I'm gen X so I get to keep my place. Bury it with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭standardg60

We do what we're doing..hostels, hotels or direct provision. But that doesn't seem to be ever enough, everyone seemingly deserves a home of their own no matter what they've ever contributed to society.

And people wonder why they can't afford a home, and congratulate Michael D on words well said. He was speaking at a homeless charity opening of accommodation for homeless people. The irony, it is this very policy which is leading to the disaster!

If anyone in authority had any balls they would come out and say that anyone seeking housing who doesn't contribute should be thankful for what they're offered. People who complain about not being able to afford a house yet support housing provision for everyone have only themselves to blame.

I don't give a sh1t about homeless people, everyone makes their own lives, if you want to provide for them then don't complain about your own lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So all those people working minimum wage jobs, low hours contracts, short term contracts, gig economy should live their lives in hostels or direct provision?

So we create an underclass with no stake in society and no way out because we need them to support our lifestyles?

I particularly said people who don't contribute, we're all paying for those who don't, the provision of housing for them is directly affecting those that you mention. The underclass are now those who work minimum wage, there is no reward for them, is it any wonder there are vacancies everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Can we stop talking about this in terms of “rights”? It’s an unhelpful way of looking at the problem. The failure of the housing “market” to provide affordable accommodation is a drain on the economy, and it’s in the interests of the whole country to do something about it. Affordable housing isn’t a “right” any more than affordable healthcare is a “right”, yet there seems to be a better understanding in government of the economic effects of unaffordable healthcare and why that should be avoided. When people have to spend too much just to survive, it affects the economy as a whole, not just those people.

Also, why do housing discussions always seem to revolve around houses? The way some people talk, there’s some lazy assumption that everyone is going to get married and have kids and pets, and singlehood is temporary and so doesn’t merit any consideration at all. Are planners even aware of the declining marriage / increasing divorce stats? Single people need apartments, not houses, at affordable rents.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

By contribute I presume you mean take up paid employment.

Yet there are many in paid employment as you say that have no chance of paying the rent on a place of their own.

There is always a fluidity in the numbers needing help with accommodation but the latest available figures suggest that nationally there are about 10,000 homeless with about 3,000 of those being children.

If you break that down into family units, various categories of disability, long term illness etc. you would probably need about 5000 to 6000 houses to house them all.

Even if it was socially desirable to house them all in hostels and direct provision facilities the number of houses made permanently available to the working poor would not solve their problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That is only half the problem. The other is that a housing policy based on people taking on huge amounts of debt or relying on social services to put a roof over peoples heads is a good idea! Then elect politicians to carry it out and you have a problem that can not be solved. I remember the early 60s when we were housing families in the the part of married quarters in army barracks that the military were unwilling to house army families in. We did not solve it then and we’re not going to solve it now either unless there is a major shift in the voters thinking and I don’t see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

Here's a fella that moved here and is unable to support himself and his family n requires a house. It is high time we stopped unskilled migration into the country - the Brits have pulled up the drawbridge n paddy is the only show in town now.

Someone posted stats on another thread and iirc there was 80-90k new pps numbers for immigrants in the last year excluding Ukrainians which were another 35k. Crazy numbers.

RTE.ie: Focus Ireland: Meath County Council letter to homeless family 'counterproductive'.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0617/1305579-meath-homeless/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That guy forgets that a lot of us were forced abroad due to lack of work in our 20s and early 30s. It wasn't a "holiday". There are other factors there too like the breakdown of relationships and suddenly not having a house. It's a super simplistic way of looking at it, don't have a house by 40 - oh you were obviously not working hard, holidaying etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm not a fan of those "4EVA HoMe" people either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You don't give a **** about homeless people?

There are people who are sleeping on the streets as a result of their upbringing, as a result of mental illness, these people need help and support, not your condemnation.

We all don't come out of the same starting blocks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Really, a building worth maybe 300,000 euro or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

So those of us that do , were we just lucky? I had just qualified in the construction industry 3 years before the Celtic tiger died so wasn’t exactly blessed with timing .

Sometimes the simple way of looking at things is the correct way . It’s not the housing market situation that has 40 year olds unable to buy a house , it’s the position the 40 year olds have allowed themselves get into that stops them getting a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

That's forgetting that people in their forties now lived through the recession. Plenty of people were responsible in their twenties and got caught up in the mess that was the recession, only able to rent and now even doing that is excessively expensive.

A right to a house isn't something any reasonable person is arguing for, a housing market that isn't massively weighted in favor of rich speculators taking supply away from working people is a reasonable notion and not something to be dismissed out of hand.

We are living in a time where even renting an apartment is nigh on impossible never mind finding a home to buy within a reasonable distance of the of the one city everything in this country is centralised around without having won the lottery.

Saying people are getting what they deserve for traveling in their twenties is reductive in the extreme.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Think a distinction needs to be made between the people who are complaining about housing in that they expect to be housed but the lists, locations offered etc are not what they want. Then there are people (like myself) complaining about housing in that my partner and I who are tax payers, both have post graduate degrees and decent jobs and yet will likely never be able to afford a good house. Our parents generation would’ve been able to save for a few years and get a mortgage, properties within their reach that I would never even dream of being able to live in.

And that’s sad. We’ve done everything right in life that we could and have just been completely and utterly shafted.

The “I’m alright Jack, I’ve got mine, go **** yourself” attitude espoused by OP and many of the older generations would make you sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Just to pick up on one of your points surely if one is offered a house they should take it. In saying that they should be no choice, they apply for a house why should they be entitled to refuse it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A right to housing does not equal an automatic entitlement to a free house. The only free housing is a prison.

The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, from the 1789 French Revolution declares:

"the natural and imprescriptible rights of man" are defined as "liberty, property, security and resistance to oppression".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_the_Rights_of_Man_and_of_the_Citizen

Without a roof over one's head, no one has security. The ability to access such security IS the right of a citizen, as is the ability to access education, employment and healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If people have mental health issues, that is hardly their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Yeah I fully agree with you.

Don’t see why I get to break my bollocks studying for years and working in my career and still can’t afford a house while they get offered one and turn their noses up at it. Doesn’t seem fair at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

They can refuse I think 3 times it’s bonkers I think @Dempo1 may know exact facts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The social housing policy in this country is utterly dysfunctional. The State is paying money to private landlords to subsidise housing for those who cannot afford the dysfunctional private rents. The old social housing projects from the mid to late 20th Century have created ghettos and welfare dependency.

Turn it around.

A "professional" couple, seeking a mortgage would be happy to have the opportunity to rent a state subsidised house in their earlier years as they build their careers, at a rate that is affordable to their income, so that they might save for that mortgage.

The State, leveraging economies of scale, and with sensible long-term planning, can provide for that couple, and also another family that be on low pay, and also for the higher earner who seeks the ability to rent in a secure and flexible way, and their rent could add valuable income to the State fund by doing so. A single house can provide an income stream for the public purse for many decades.

I'm sure it could be done, without the ghettoisation of segments of society, and the griping of others, who feel hard done by because they have been fleeced by the private market mortgage swindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Its not a you versus me thing. Well done, you obviously worked hard and now you've a house to show for it. I qualified in construction studies myself and was immediately forced abroad. It's not luck that got you where you are, it's hard work and timing....

Timing is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If the rule for 3. 5 times salary was gone all we would see is prices going up to 400k plus , putting people in more debt, we saw this in the boom in 2000, anyone could borrow 4 to 5 times their wage , and the banks had to be rescued by a bailout , but of course people have short memory's, people went to the UK to declare bankruptcy and ended up not paying the full mortgage

Building materials are up by 40 per cent, there's supply chain issues, the problem is lack of supply. Changing lending rules will not give one more person a house. Many people would be happy to buy a 1 bed apartment not every one wants to live in a house

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

A properly built 1 bed apartment, with proper sound proofing from the other animals humans living in the building. Rather than an apartment, I think a small estate of small 1 bed houses would be highly sought after. We need to re-evaluate what we do with space. As mentioned, not everyone needs a 2-3+ bed house, but I'd still like to be living away from people, even if that just means across the street. Having lived in a few apartments, none are built with soundproofing in mind. A small, single bed house would be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Reading this, it struck me that maybe the 08-14 recession has lead to a generation of “poor me” Irish people who graduated/entered the workforce during that period, they want to blame everyone else for them not having what they deserve, and expect others to help them get it. Where previous generations emigrated if they couldn’t afford to stay, the 30/40 somethings won’t even migrate to an area within Ireland where houses may be cheaper.

Won’t somebody please help these children of the recession, it wasn’t their fault.

Advertisement