Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

Benoit Blanc is back 😁 !!

And another amazing cast: Dave Bautista, Edward Norton, Janelle Monáe, Kathryn Hahn, Leslie Odom Jr., Kate Hudson, Madelyn Cline, Jessica Henwick, and Ethan Hawke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It's a gem all right. I'd recommend limbering up first with a film by the same writer/directors, the Safdie brothers, called 'Good Time', also on Netflix. Just to ease you into their tempo with a milder strain of film-making; this way it's like trying out a beast of a machine on the German autobahn in the middle lane, before changing to the fast lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,316 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Some people hate theme park roller-coasters because of the very experience most people love about them. It's not for everyone, but the skill in harnessing the pressure of that type of self-destructive lifestyle into a pulsating narrative is admirable. Personally, I find roller-coasters boring; Uncut Gems is a much more enjoyable stress medium.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Some movies rely on generating a specific "feel" and I don't think Uncut Gems would have worked half as well if it couldn't accurately transfer that sense of self-destructive plate-spinning of Sandler's main character. The movie truly only worked if the audience absorbed that palpable, constant sense of stress and ramping intensity. Here came another play, only adding two more crises to deal with.

I daresay when people talk about pacing, or escalating stakes you could make a solid argument for Uncut Gems as Best in Class; it's often the action blockbusters that people automatically talk about; but that film had more intensity and nerve-shredding tension - and kept it going - than most conventional thrillers ever manage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I agree that Uncut Gems is stressful and annoying.

That’s why I loved it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Netflix has announced a reality competition based on "Squid Game", the hit Korean drama which took the world by storm last September.

The series, a biting criticism of the class system and the dangers of capitalism, centres on a group of people who compete in deadly games for the chance to win an enormous cash prize.

So, naturally, this should be translated into a real life competition.

"Squid Game: The Challenge" is in production, with an open call for contestants.

Much like in the series, 456 players will take part in a series of games with the aim to be the last person standing, and win the cash prize of $4.56 million (€4.38 million).

We assume that the competition won't take the same twist the show took and kill off contestants, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

“Squid Game took the world by storm with Director Hwang (Dong-hyuk)’s captivating story and iconic imagery," said Brandon Riegg, Netflix’s VP of unscripted and documentary series.

"We’re grateful for his support as we turn the fictional world into reality in this massive competition and social experiment.”

“Fans of the drama series are in for a fascinating and unpredictable journey as our 456 real world contestants navigate the biggest competition series ever, full of tension and twists, with the biggest ever cash prize at the end.”

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/squid-game-real-life-749918

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Would love to quiz Netflix executives about whether they understood the central themes of Squid Game. They clearly didn’t, but would be a fun exercise nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yes. Yes it was.

I hate roller coasters and I hate Uncut Gems and I understand them both. I agree it is skilfully made to a point but I actually think it would have benefited from a bit more tonal variety, which is more a question of taste than skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Uncut gems is one of my favourite movies in the last few years. It's constant shouting and tension, it's an anxious watch that boils to an explosive ending. Sandler is a gambling addict, he's robbing Peter to pay Paul, avoiding debt collectors, it's a thrill ride and captured perfectly.

• Advertisement

Centauro (2022) (Spanish) To clear his son's mother's debt to a cartel, a superbike racer becomes a drug courier, risking his chances of going pro -- and jeopardizing his own life.

Web of Make Believe: Death, Lies and the Internet Season 1 (2022) Conspiracy. Fraud. Violence. Murder. What starts out virtual can get real all too quickly -- and when the web is worldwide, so are the consequences.

Heart Parade (2022) (Polish) To save her job, a dog-fearing, career-minded woman must travel to Kraków, where she meets a charming widower, his son and their four-legged best friend..

Maldivas Season 1(2022) (Brazilian ) To investigate a mystery, a young woman moves into a posh condo community, where she comes into contact with its quirky -- and suspicious -- residents.

God's Favorite Idiot Season 1 (2022) Sweet Clark seems like the last person God would tap to fight evil. He'll need his office crush and good pals to help spread the word and save the world

The Wrath of God (2022) (Spanish) Convinced the tragic deaths of her loved ones were orchestrated by a famous novelist she worked for, Luciana turns to a journalist to expose her truth..

Iron Chef: Quest for an Iron Legend Season 1 (2022) Iron Chef is back! In this next-level cooking competition, culinary stars compete to enter an epic finale and vie for the title of Iron Legend

Midnight in the SwitchGifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story (2009) 1hr 30m [PG] This drama charts Ben Carson's struggles in overcoming obstacles to study medicine and save lives at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Based on a true story.grass (2021) A pair of FBI agents work with a state police officer to catch a serial killer who abducts and murders women in a small Florida town.

Home2Home (2020) (German) In this documentary, a young man with a taste for adventure bikes 27,000 miles around the world and encounters people from all walks of life

Harry Enfield's Television Programme 2 Seasons (1992) This sketch comedy series features Harry Enfield and friends as a host of colorful characters, including the likes of Wayne Slob and Tim Nice-But-Dim

The Others (2001) While awaiting the return of her soldier husband from World War II, a devout Christian mother of two begins to suspect the family house is haunted.

Material (2012) A dutiful son must hide his pursuit of stand-up comedy from his staunch father, who expects him to inherit his store and uphold their Muslim beliefs..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Everyone talks about Uncut Gems and how anxiety inducing it is in a similar way to how we often talk about the most intense horror movies out there. It completely puts me off watching it as I can't see myself getting much pleasure from an experience like that. Like some horror movies, it's probably nowhere near as bad as I've built it up on my head.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I felt the same way watching 8th Grade and Shiva Baby. My whole body was clenched in anticipation of the awful thing happening and it reminded me of why I never enjoy horror films. Pure anxiety.

somebody compared it to a rollercoaster ride and that is quite apt. It is the release of tension afterwards that is enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Both of those movies are coming of age comedies!!!!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They're not really. I mean, there's humour in both of them, but 8th Grade is nearly the opposite of coming of age. And Shiva Baby is about someone in their early 20s avoiding her sugar daddy at a Jewish wake. And they're both extremely anxiety enducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Depends on the type of tension you can enjoy. Uncut Gems uses overlapping dialogue, ringing phones, unresolved questions to create tension; it's a very noisy and chaotic film. Personally, I don't enjoy that kind of tension - more like stress really - but I do enjoy the tension in a thriller, that builds as you're not sure who's an enemy or who's a friend, or a horror movie for sort of similar reasons, but I don't like horror movies that just throw a bunch of shocks at you.

Korean you say? Monster you say? Gore and violence you say? I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,290 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I first saw Uncut Gems at a double screening with The Lighthouse. I wasn’t right for a week!

Loved both though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder why they took so long to announce the Sweet Home, Squid Game and All of Us Are Dead renewals yet cancel other shows not long after they air.

Like Sweet Home came out in 2020 and if they're only going to start production now, it will likely be sometime in 2023 it gets released.

Regarding the Bill Burr special I found it interesting because all of those comedians would be used to only playing to their own crowds, for example when Jimmy Carr normally walks out on stage he knows the audience is full of Jimmy Carr fans who actually paid to see him.

It was noticeable how uncomfortable some of them were with an audience who didn't quite get the humour.

I think Michelle Wolff is brilliant. Her material is always designed to make the audience uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

god I better watch uncut gems this weekend ha ha

Burnt (2015) ] A chef who destroyed his career through recklessness and bad behavior comes to London to redeem himself and regain his former glory.

The Adventures of Paddington Season 1 (2019) Join gentle British bear Paddington on heartwarming adventures as he explores the world around him with a kind heart and a curious mind..

Collision (2022) Over the course of one fateful day, a corrupt businessman and his socialite wife race to save their daughter from a notorious crime lord.

Dead End: Paranormal Park Season 1 (2022) Two teens and a talking pug team up to battle demons at a haunted theme park -- and maybe even save the world from a supernatural apocalypse.

Snoop Dogg's F*cn Around Comedy Special (2022) Snoop Dogg hosts a night of music and stand-up as he welcomes his friends -- including legendary comedians Katt Williams and Mike Epps -- to the stage

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) A shy misfit transforms into iconic Queen singer Freddie Mercury in this biopic inspired by the band's tumultuous rise to fame and personal struggles.

The Way Beyond (2009) (French) After a motorcycle accident wrecks his life, a man volunteers for cutting-edge genetic therapy to treat his condition, but the experiment unravels

Love & Anarchy Seasons 2 (2020) (Swedish) A married consultant and a young IT tech kick off a flirty game that challenges societal norms -- and leads them to re-evaluate their entire lives..

Added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Since Netflix finally started mentioning films that are leaving soon, I figured I should stick on Moonrise Kingdom - for whatever reason I missed this on release. As expected it's immediately recognisable as a Wes Anderson film, and whether that's a good or bad thing is more down to your taste than the film. I loved it, as I have all of his films that I've seen - the combination of dry humour, oddball characters and whimsical storytelling just works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Fantastic film

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ghost Writer, less than average

• Registered Users Posts: 32,309 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Dead end paranormal park is a weird little animated show...I enjoyed it (well the first 2 episodes)

Spiderhead (2022) A prisoner in a state-of-the-art penitentiary begins to question the purpose of the emotion-controlling drugs he's testing for a pharmaceutical genius

The Martha Mitchell Effect (2022) This documentary profiles the Cabinet wife who spoke out during Watergate -- and the Nixon administration's campaign to gaslight her into silence

The Healer (2017) A handyman who has hit rock bottom agrees to live with his distant uncle, who insists that his ability to fix things extends beyond the repair shop.

The War Next-door Seasons 2 (2022) (Spanish) [New Episodes] When two antagonistic families end up living next door in a posh neighborhood, the matriarchs launch a full-scale war that has unintended consequences.

She Season 2 (2022) (Hindi) An undercover assignment to expose a drug ring becomes a timid Mumbai constable's road to empowerment as she realizes her dormant sexuality's potential.

You Don't Know Me Season 1 (2022) When all the evidence points towards his guilt, a man on trial for murder uses his closing argument to recount his love affair with a mysterious woman.

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Cross-posting from the dedicated thread about Spiderhead:

"I stuck this on tonight out of curiosity - it was fine, but nothing remarkable (and if it cost $100M+ as has been reported then someone overpaid substantially). Really the issue is that it feels like it should have been a sharper film - it's not a surprise that Hemsworth's odious tech bro panto villain isn't on the level, but by insisting on having two "likeable" protagonists, the film loses most of the opportunities for sharper, darker humour that the setup offers. As if an exec asked for it to be "like a Black Mirror episode, only a bit cuddlier" or something.

I don't imagine this will make many waves before sinking without note, and I'd easily rate Extraction over this as far as "Netflix exclusives starring Chris Hemsworth" goes. I'd be willing to rewatch Extraction, but I wouldn't bother rewatching this."

Advertisement