Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

What do you think someone who liked the first one but found all the later sequels a bit pointless would make of it? Uh, asking for a friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Spiral was grand, its a Saw movie at the end of the day. You get exactly what you expect from a Saw movie.

If you like all the sequels, it's worth a watch.

Jesus Ep1 is hard to watch. Its like getting pummeled body body head in a boxing match with the odd minute between rounds to get the heart rate down!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Spiral - was grand, no more no less, watchable.

Irresitible - again, watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

As someone who liked Saw II/III and maybe Saw VI (whichever was the health insurance one), Spiral is a gigantic steaming pile of crap. I'd say it's the worst of them all or at least a strong contender.

Promises to be a new spin-off, turns out to be a poor carbon copy of other movies complete with a comically ludicrous twist.

People say things like "sure who watches Saw for the script" but there's a difference between a good script, a passable script, and then "plot points scribbled on the back of a napkin and improvised", which is what Spiral is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Great show but don't watch if planning or in the process of expecting a baby. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I liked all of the Saw movies. I know they got a bit on the desperate side as the sequels mounted up. But I saw some logic to them anyway.

Spiral was just overwhelming disappointing - for me anyway. Very silly

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yep, probably the weakest of them all. There wasn't enough of the Jigsaw element and the traps that were there seemed to be more just focused on being as disgusting as possible without being clever. Even Samuel L. Jackson didn't seem much bothered with his role.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Widows (2018) United only by their shared loss, four women must pull off a heist to pay back a crippling debt left behind by their deceased criminal husbands.

BASTARD&#x203c -Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy Season 1 (2022) (Japanese) When evil forces threaten to resurrect Anthrasax, the God of Destruction, the Kingdom of Meta-llicana calls on a volatile dark wizard for help

Sea Power Limited series (2020) (French) This documentary series delves into the battleships, submarines and aircraft carriers that have changed the history of modern warfare.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Widows is fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A good show, some big names and well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,460 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix are bringing Cameron Diaz out of retirement she had signed on for a new comedy her role in 8 years.

Stranger Things 4, Volume 2 (2022) “It might not work out for us this time.” Those are the ominous words from the trailer for Volume 2 of Stranger Things Season 4. The two-part finale for the fourth chapter builds on the super-sized Volume 1 with a total runtime of almost 4 hours.

Up in the Air

American Made

The Fighter

Creed II

Clockstoppers

Clueless

Cult of Chucky

Erin Brockovich

Conor McGregor: Notorious

Donnie Brasco

Flight

Faster

Mine

The Last of the Mohicans

The Young Victoria

Underworld

Underworld: Awakening

Underworld: Evolution

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans

How Do You Know

The Holiday: Season 1 (2021) On holiday in the Mediterranean with friends and family, a woman discovers her husband is having an affair with someone she knows and things turn deadly..

Love Sarah

A Day to Die (2022) (I feel this deserves the poster )

London Boulevard

The Last Castle

Barbie: A Fairy Secret

A Civil Action

The Last Castle

The Rainmaker

True Grit (2010)

Layer Cake

Labyrinth

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Well 'A Day to Die' does get a solid 3.7 on IMDB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That "A Day to Die" poster is a crime of airbrushing. Whatever about Willis, Frank Grillo appears in his fair share of this "geezer teaser" trash...

I wonder what the going rate is for these movies. They cant be making much profit surely given the access to such an abundance these days. But they must be making something to be keeping the constant churn going…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting insights into the whole phenomenon in the (very long!) article I linked to in the general chat thread earlier today.

De Niro was reportedly paid $11m for one (half the budget of the film), plus luxury family holidays on top of that.

And in terms of the market:

"Emmett and Furla’s business model relied heavily on tax credits and paying millions to aging stars and then pushing their films in foreign markets including the Middle East, Russia and Turkey, where audiences remained eager to see American he-men smash bad guys. The bigger the name, the bigger the foreign presales, which meant more investment and more money that everyone — actors, agents and producers — could grab."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭jj880

Johnny Drama makin a comeback! 5 movies out this year including another with Mel Gibson.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't recognise Kevin Dillon. At first I thought Walton Goggins had merged with Clint Howard

• Advertisement

Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction (2012) Legendary actor Harry Dean Stanton's life, career and passion for music take center stage in this portrait featuring film clips and intimate interviews...

and another batch of adventure sports docs

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

epsiode 8 of stranger things watched (second last of season)

fantatsic

Its touching season 1 levels. Completely reinvented itself when it had clearly gone stale .

Take a bow Duffer bros !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Last episode of Stranger Things S4 watched. That could easily have been 3 episodes of ~40 min length, the pacing even had suitable breakpoints.

I have strong opinions about Eddie's character arc, when they have been desperately scrabbling about for anything to do with Mike, Will, Lucas and Jonathan for the whole season (and honestly a fair bit of the last season). Of the original four only Dustin feels like an interesting character in his own right, the rest are boring - as evidenced by how e.g. Erica is more interesting than Lucas, or Argyle is more fun than both Byers Bros combined.

The good stuff was very good, but blimey did they need to take the scissors to the scripts for this season, most episodes were pointlessly baggy and most of the first two episodes were so useless they'd have been better as a scrolling-text opener a la Star Wars...

The Art of Incarceration (2021) At the Fulham Correctional Centre, incarcerated Aboriginal artists examine the cycle of imprisonment as they prepare for an upcoming exhibition.

18% Grey (2020) (Bulgarian) When his wife leaves him, a struggling photographer sets out on a journey from London to Berlin that reveals a bitter truth about his lost love.

Added

Av: The Hunt (2020) (Turkish) Hunted by those seeking to punish her in the name of honor, Ayşe makes a treacherous attempt to flee as the odds stack up against her.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the bulk of Rowan Atkinson's "Man Vs Bee" and it's exactly as the title and starring actor suggests; Atkinson doing his slapstick, weaving a path of accidental destruction around a rich person's house.

What is of note is that each of the 9 episodes are about 12 minutes each - 10 really if you discount the credits. One presumed it started as a movie and got chopped up? Very much bite sized comedy either way, and whether one enjoys it entirely depends on their prior thoughts on Atkinson's particular brand of physical comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

My netflix is only showing 5 seasons of better call saul. I was up to episode 7 season six a few weeks back. Is there a reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Caquas

The Nest, with Jude Law, is a frustrating watch.

A top class cast, great atmosphere, sharp script but it leads nowhere. There’s the making of a great movie about an ambitious guy who flies too high but it all seems arbitrary and rather meaningless. The marriage turns hot and cold, he reconciles with his mother but she disappears from the movie.

A horse dies for no apparent reason. Symbolic of something, I’m sure. The horse should fire his agent.

Watched the finale of stranger things.

It's the definition of tearing the arse out of something.

Some fun bits here and there but overall very unimpressed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

You think it would have learned after the agent got him the Godfather gig.

Advertisement