Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father and son die at Isle of man TTs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

are you seriously comparing TT racing with suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I am giving it as an example of something which was illegal which only directly impacted the person making the choice. (It is still illegal to assist someone to commit suicide though). Heroin is also illegal, even though it can be said that it only directly impacts those who inject it. Are you not aware that it is illegal to assist someone to commit suicide? Even though it is their choice? (See Fleming v. Ireland)

It's not that difficult of a concept. Things which hurt only a person making a decision can still be made illegal and there can be valid reasons for doing so.

If I'm an employer, I have to abide by Health and Safety standards. I can't simply just notify my staff that they waive all their statutory rights in a blanket manner, and that I waive all my obligations, by them choosing to continue to work for me. Even though it would be their choice to do so or not.

I have no interest in a discussion on suicide. it is irrelevant. FFS

Fair enough. If you can't understand the basic concept that people can be prevented from doing dangerous things they choose to, then it's not my role to spend time explaining it to you.

i understand the concept. My issue is with your worse than stupid example of suicide.

• Advertisement

Well then try to get your head around the alternate one of heroin which I also gave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

He's pure trollbait but I don't mind it either

All part of the circus surrounding the racing and sure the riders themselves don't take a bit of notice they just get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

I have been involved in Motorsport for going on 27 years now as a competitor, also on the marshalling and safety side. I have family who are involved. While all car related and no where nearly as dangerous as the bikes., I have crashed, witnessed family members crash and been on events when competitors have died. I wold never not compete or be involved.

The motorbike competitors are a different breed again and have a much much higher exposure to danger. But I would never ask them to stop.

For those who aren't familiar with the sport or more particularly the mindset of the riders check out the Documentary "Road" based around the Dunlop family. An amazing and emotional watch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, it's dangerous but the riders and spectators are all fully aware of this, it's drilled into you from the time you get off the boat/plane.

It takes a special type of rider to race the TT, all are there by choice and it's certainly not for the money, even the top guys make relatively little from it compared to short circuits, it's their Everest, a mountain to conquer.

From the outside looking in it looks like madness, but if you don't understand their motivation then you never will, it's a cliché but that 's it - sorry.

It's also a historic event and a major bread winner for the government so they're very reluctant to interfere, even ending Mad Sunday (off for 2023), is seen as a huge risk and is to be reviewed after next years event.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

I would agree that the Irish road race scene will probably fizzle. The culture is different here and motorcycling culture is treated wit suspicion here and seen as thuggish.

I was party to a meeting for organising a motorsporting event where the roads policing Garda and people from the Council events and traffic departments were present, and they all seemed opposed to it. Saying things like it would encourage recklessness with respect to road safety, it attracts a rough/troublesome and hard drinking crowd, they bring crowds but they spend nothing in the local area, etc. All those types of comments. Basically the were all looking for things to say to dismiss or rubbish the proposal.

In the end it never got off the ground anyway and it was something being led by someone who is well established and very well known, successfull and respected in the Irish motorsport scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Ah pal , 5 deaths in a week. What needs sensationalizing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

The local government make nothing out of it. Sure they might make some money from road closure fees but surely they are taking on massive burden with it too.

I think the contribution to the local economy is not what it is cracked up to be. A lot of these motorbiking scene people would be coming in big team vans and spectators in campers and caravans stocked up for the week. They bring everything they need with them and on that scene the followers wouldn't be big spenders anyway. And you have to consider that the local businesses loose out in another way with all the road closures. the regular tourist who will come and spend money is locked out that week.

The Everest comparison is interesting and probably the only point id agree with for the let them at it side. Plenty die on everest which people see as the pinnacle of mountain climbing so why not let these boys road race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭GavPJ

145 have died since the TT started in 1907.

Over 200 people have died climbing Everest. Most bodies are left there. Must be lovely for the families left behind.

Over 100 people are killed from horses every year but nobody bats an eyelid because it isn't publicised. The TT

is only in the news when someone dies. Time to ban folk riding horses???

As Guy Martin says, if you don't like it, stay at home and mow your lawn and leave us to it.

100 people a yr from horse riding? How many more would do that then race motorbike on a road? We talking 10,000 to 1 or more? I accept your everest though as an interesting riposte.

Post edited by rogerywalters on

Fair enough but what about the men and women who have to scrape them off the tarmac afterwards, gather up their broken equipment and wash their blood off the road?

Also, how many have been seriously injured over the years and subsequently depended on a lifetime of dedicated care to look after them?

The Everest comparison is an interesting one but if you **** up near the top no one is going to bring you down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

I've been there and completed several laps at full speed (for me) of the Mountain, I wouldn't race the full course but have nothing but respect for those that do, it's quite a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You plan spectator facilities around the rider losing the bike at 200 mph.

Max Mosley who did a hell of a lot for motorsport and safety stated - the participant knows the risk and does it anyway. The Marshalls take on some risk. Spectators are entitled to safety. I'd agree with all that.

I love motorsport, do regular track days, have a track car etc

I don't have a problem with the riders doing it and wouldn't like to see it cancelled but the spectator management needs to change.

We can look at old F1 and see fans standing behind a few bale's and wonder what were they thinking.

In a few years time, I think we will think the same about the TT.

What are your proposals

• Advertisement

Do you think, would these lads still race the bikes if there was never any spectators or coverage of the races?

Genuine question.

Setback spectators from roadside where possible. Allow a few areas where spectators can get right close to action yet still be 100 percent protected via barrier positioning.

Place large stands on inside of bends where the possibility of biker flying into crowd is near impossible.

Ban metal crowd control barriers from roadside. There are only suited to control airport queues. Proper secure barriers should be installed to protect both rider and spectator.

Have no roadside spectators immediately after jumps, bumps or on outside of bends.

Do not rely on spectators to wave down competitors when accidents happen. It's one of the highest speed events in the world, get their act together and get a good marshalling and flag system in place. I realise it's a long course but you cannot run this without using all available safety systems.

Undertake a major refit of barrier systems in the large viewing areas where barriers can be easily then reinstalled year on year in a safe manner.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 649 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I dont care about the spectators when I race, I am fairly sure that's pretty common

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 649 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

You cannot cover half the island in trackcare/barriers. Spectators will climb over stuff, its too big a circuit to fully make idiot proof.

Those proposals don't seem very practical to me , having everyone back from the road or behind barriers

There's marshals who need to be on hand to flag and residents watching outside their doors

I don't know much about accidents but again I don't think bikes and sidecars crash on the road as predictably as you expect, they can impact one side and go back over the other direction altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's quite a safe sport for the spectators I thought, comparatively at least? There has been a few incidents in recent years but in most cases, the facilities were found to have been setup incorrectly versus their own requirements as far as I recall.

The bikes are getting faster and faster each year and the PPE / trackside safety equipment can't keep up but even halving the speeds again and people would likely end up still dying.

Re the motivation, Guy Martin explains it as when you've got used to driving flat out at 200mph on a narrow winding country road, everything else is tame in comparison. He reckons him going on a roller coaster is about as exciting as riding a lawnmower to you and me so these guys are hooked to the adrenaline and can't get it from much else!

Fantastically skilled and brave riders, I like watching it on TV but I've been twice and while the atmosphere around the place is great if you're into bikes, the actual spectating for me gets boring after half an hour as it's very repetitive (although still amazing to see)!

True but the built up areas could certainly be improved and the mountain etc could be heavily marshalled to stick to specific guidelines.

Whatever way you cut it, people lined up behind freestanding metal 1m high rails adjacent to the track can only be deemed negligent.

My original point was that it will take spectator deaths to make changes and that is a pity. Insurers will insist on higher standards when the sh1t hits the fan. I don't know how any event promoter could defend the current setup if the worst was to happen.

Marshall posts are open to the track in the direction opposite to the direction of travel. All motorsport is like this.

Residents standing on footpath outside their front door is not good enough. Surely they can agree something to prevent random movements of residents during race.

Re crash predictability, of course bike can came back across road but it's not going to come backwards against the direction of travel for example so a raised viewing area inside a corner is probably 1000 times safer than viewing from side of road after a bend.

Lots of bike racing experts on boards wasted posting here.

Surely go over next year and sort the place out.

Or maybe not leave those who enjoy it and take part do so.

Why us it all H&S bull and ban everything these days on a few who dont like something or perceive it's not up to their safety standards.

Racers aren't forced to race fans arent forced to attend its personal choice.

So why not respect thats if you dont like it dont watch it simple as that.

• Advertisement

How would you feel about a hypothetical compromise proposal whereby they close the road for the racers, but forbid spectators. I'm not asking you about the logistics of that. I'm asking about you, as a racer, who doesn't care about the spectators. You'd still get to race.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement