Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father and son die at Isle of man TTs

Options
  • 10-06-2022 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

5 people died this week so far , thats nuts , i know they knew the risks but at what stage/number does the event become under threat?

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I remember being there in 1992 and watching it and one of the bikes crashed. It was crazy then and still is now. It takes serious bravery for any racer to want to do this race. I hope the rewards are worth it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

There was a video showing spectators along the road and showing how fast the bikes go by at 200mph or something. Outrageous speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Yeah to be honest i like the sport and have serious respect for them , just hard to wrap your head around how willing that many riders are to die

• Registered Users Posts: 54,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I was at a bike road race years ago where they flew by a few feet from me. Unbelievably fast and scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes it is crazy. You would at least think the track could be made safer by now but I suppose that might take away from the event. Unless families of does killed or the racers or both look for this it will probably never change.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Yeah like is the death thing a massive part of the sport? Like free soloing!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 634 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

You register an account just to create this post? People dying at the TT isn't anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭purpleshoe

A tragedy, even more so as it is a father and son.

I do hope it does not come under threat, what would the reason be?

Competitors making their own choices, living life on their terms, whilst not holding back society. I don’t have the skills or mindset to do anything like that but I would not support any action that would halt the IOM TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Last I checked it's a free country, no one is making them do it.

It's the last thing in the world where you can live on the edge, It's why they do it. For that buzz.

A few years ago my first real-world job was at the North West 200, I was looking after the big screen and there was a crash where the whole pits/crowd did a noise I'll never forget. We put it to a wide shot and checked the footage where we, unfortunately, showed a rider heading for a lamppost.

We watched back the footage and saw who it was and it wasn't looking good. Most of the riders in the pits sat on the grass lit a fag and got annoyed when the rest of the night got canceled as he passed away. I would never do it, but I would never stop them. Then again I go rallying and I had dinner with one of the top guys of the TT at a charity dinner once and he said he would never go rallying yet found the TT easy to do.

5 in a week seems a lot? No not at all. Im new. But why would i register a new account to specifacally talk about the tt

• Advertisement

Yep its a free country as evidenced by the fact not one poster said they should stop

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It will be stopped when a road racer wipes out 5 or 6 spectators at the road side.

Riders take the risk, spectators are entitled to safety.

Personally I think the isle of man is nuts and when you have guaranteed deaths each year, it has crossed the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ferpederine

What a joke. So many people being killed here they don't even know who.

"A thorough review of the processes relating to the identification of competitors will take place in due course."

Yeah, that's the thing that needs reviewing. When your sport has this many deaths, it's no longer a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

It's like f1 in the 1950s. Mad how it still goes on in this day and age. Still glad it exists in a world full of health and safety legislation.

Same with the goodwood circuit. Unchanged circuit since the 1960s in a world that tilke has ruined with pointy corners and acres of run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Not sure on spectators being entitled to safety , they should know the risks too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There really shouldn't be risk of death for any spectator going to any sporting event bar from unforeseeable circumstances. I rider losing control at 200 mph should be foreseeable and planned for.

Having spectators lining parts of roadside at the TT is negligent and I'm surprised it still goes on.

Some spectator positioning at rallying events is lunacy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

They were around 8th place in the first lap. They were looking at about £750 in prize money. Presumably there's sponsorship but the money doesn`t seem to be the reason anyone takes part.

Around 70 deaths in the past 20 years. Only one year (1982) since 1937 where it had no deaths. Absolute carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I get it when people want to race as the thrill of being able to do must be off the chart. However sitting in a skidecar and risking life total nonsence for me. Very sad.

Spectators are participants in the risk same as the riders

You think they don't know the risks too

Your plan is unworkable anyhow imo

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

How the hell do you plan for losing a bike at 200mph on a public road?

Ive followed the TT for years and am in awe of the lads who do it. Every single one of them understand the risk involved and every one of them want to keep doing it. Road racers really are a different breed.

Condolences to all those killed but they would turn in their graves at the thoughts that the TT would be cancelled as a reaction to their own deaths.

With that said I am surprised in this day and age it’s let go ahead but long may it last, it is an absolutely phenomenal thing to witness and I imagine the thrill of taking part in it is something that can’t be experienced anywhere else on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Do yourself a favor and turn off the TV and don't watch the TT. I think that will solve a lot of your problems and don't stop people from doing what they want to do with their own lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I love the TT and have been to it probably a dozen times. Unfortunately I was standing 50 meters from where the father and son where killed at the bottom of bray hill when it happened. While I thankfully didn't see the crash itself the noise was horrible, and the medics/marshals looked as white as ghosts so we knew the outcome wasn't good.

I'd be lying if it didn't make me question the whole road race scene at that moment and for a day or two after, but a bigger part of me can see why the risk is part of the attraction for both riders and spectators.

In a world gone mad with health and safety, with governments increasingly trying to protect the population from ourselves, there's something pure about road racing, man and machine against the clock, around a dangerous circuit, with rider knowing that one mistake could cost them their lives, each and everyone of the TT racers that line up at the top of bray hill should be respected and allowed to take the risk if they so choose in my opinion.

I don't think the TT will be banned as most locals love it snd it brings huge tourist to the island, but I can see the Irish road racing scene fizzling out in the next decade or so

Hard to see the smaller races surviving here the north west will probably be the last

The battle of machine versus road is going the wrong way with them getting faster plus insurance etc.

Peter Hickman and Glenn Irwin speak about the superbikes on the road and you can see the trepidation there.

I think it was maybe Michael Rutter used to say that he only ever gives it 90% on the road and I used to wonder about that .Riders like him and John McGuiness and Joey Dunlop were so consistent and safe.

Dunno about that now the likes of Michael Dunlop is all out with maybe Hickman and Glenn Irwin able to hold a bit back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Why should the spectators be entitled to safety? If they want safety they should stay at home, they are there for the spectacle of danger.

🙈🙉🙊

If theres 8 deaths next year would that do it? Or are we all just in agreement am average of 2 to 3 deaths a year is worth it for the spectacle? I think they should get rid of the sidecar stuff tbh.

It comes up every year obviously punters and newspapers speculating and sensationalising

You can never make it safe and it's probably easier to improve spectator safety in fairness but as pointed out accidents are inevitable but unpredictable in their outcome so the risk will remain.

There's no doubt they're pushing the envelope now with the pure superbike guys versus the traditional road racers and it ain't getting any safer anytime soon it's going the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 40,200 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

who are we to decide what risks are acceptable to participants? If the participants are willing to accept the risks then let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

RIP to those who died. As an occasional spectator with some family involved in the sport I see both sides of the argument but I am amazed how little noise there is calling for road racing to be banned. Every time there is a death in boxing there are calls for tighter controls but road racing seems to have a far higher death rate and it barely makes the news when 5 people die.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Spectators play an important role in the TT, in that if there is an incident they will assist the stewards by waving down the riders to get them to slow down.. the sidecars class of race aren't your typical sidecar you'd see on a road, the passenger moves around alot to shift his weight depending on if they are cornering or shelters behind the driver on the straights to minimise drag.. very interesting sport but completely mental at the same time but as other posters have said the competitors know the risk. To participate and survive it is an achievement in itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Are they not dying while racing on public roads? Therefore there would have to be, at least a moral, "duty of care" from the State towards giving permission for the event to take place.

There are plenty of other dangerous things and pastimes which are not allowed. Suicide was only decriminalised a few years ago (but not the assisting of it)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement