Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Garden 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think the weather has been fairly good for the garden here in Cork so far this year. The only real victim of the recent cold nights seems to have been a passion flower climber I put out a few weeks back and it had been getting going well up until the week just gone. Only three euro something from Lidl so not going to worry about it too much. Dry May has been good for lots of flowers lasting longer but some veg have not got a great start due to not getting enough water. Posted a video showing some of the recent blooms here.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a poor unfortunate passion flower struggling since last year. I am just leaving it to get on with it at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭grinder23

Have a lidl passaflora planted April 2019 in a fairly dry bed only thing I've ever fed it is seaweed and it's done brilliantly ever year for us

Oh wow, that is really doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Anyone start harvesting spuds yet? Tempted to dig a plant or two this weekend to see how they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

I'm finding veg and flowers are late this year. Very slow progress.

I had to laugh at Gardeners World with Monty doing his 'Chelsea chop' on his perennials. A lot of mine havnt had their first flowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Fierce slow this year but things are finally moving along now it appears, buds on Rudbeckia and Strawflowers and some good movement on the Roses/Strawberries/Wildflowers/Dahlias/Sunflowers.

My dahlias are only just beginning to show signs of life, I thought they were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Glad I'm not only one thinking things are behind. My Shasta daisys are usually couple of weeks into flowering at tis stage still haven't broken bud yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Cut the lawn today

• Advertisement

Blight warning on the 9 o'clock weather this evening so drove out to spray the spuds, loads of them gone already with it ffs. Dug about 10 plants that were badly affected, got a good few small spuds from them and sprayed the rest but I'd say there's at least another 20 gone. Sickened 😢

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what part of the country?

What variety.?

I use blight resistant and don't have issues.

Just noticed that one of my tomato plants has a shoot (~ 4" long) that should have been pinched off (i.e. growing from the junction of another shoot and the mainstem) - what should I do? Snip it off now or leave it?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Exiled1

Pinch it off.. you will do no harm.

My outside strawberries are truly miserable and have failed to give me even one sample from 18 plants. My tunnel ones are super.

Anybody else with issues re. outside strawberries this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's been such a weird weather year, cold and not a lot of sun until about a month ago (West Kerry.) Now, plenty of sun and warm and dry. Overall I'd say drier than average, neighbor's got a rain gauge I should ask what he's seeing.

The oddest thing is we're plagued by flies. Just crazy amounts, yesterday around 4p.m a cloud of them flew by, sounding very much like a drone but you could see this large cloud of flies making its way across the neighbor's backyard. Freaky. They seem to disappear around 6p.m. And the midges have been out in 'full bite' as well. I wonder if its because of the dryness, but the fly clouds are new.

No ritual sacrifices going on that I know of, we've been good this year, and no obvious dead animals laying around.

Agree about the flies, not the cluster fly swarms of earlier in the year, but all kinds of flies and midges in the garden.

I was giving up hope of sunshine in kerry after 3 weeks of low cloud.

Sun is shining and the garlic is out drying.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 683 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Anyone seeing a big decline in butterflies in the garden this year or is it just me? I have a flower bed with buddleia, verbena, lavender and some other stuff usually bustling with them on a scorcher such as yesterday... haven't seen a single one :(

Maybe a poor June to blame or some local spraying?

Agreed, last year was great for butterflies, this year very few. Probably some sort of weather related cyclical thing I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bfclancy2

our outside strawberries have been flying it this year, have about six plants, full bowl of ripe ones almost every second evening for the past four weeks or so

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Funny I’m finding the complete opposite here. Usually the place is awash with insects but I’m noticing less and less over the last few years. Hardly any bees even though there’s nothing but pollinator friendly plants, no blue bottles or house flies. The air almost feels lifeless and sterile. Eerie and unnerving!

Now I think of it, agreed not many bees, or butterflies, but loads of bugs, mostly of the munching variety it seems. Swarms of those medium sized black flies (bigger than midges) that hover around under trees. Except the magnolia, if you want a bug free zone to sit in, plant a magnolia. You will have to wait a while to use it of course 😀

And spiders, lots of spiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

House files hate Elder trees. Have one near the house and you'll not get flies in.

I can't really notice the smell of Elder but some folks report that it's less than attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Deub

Blight warning for the country this weekend. I didn’t get a chance to spray my potatoes…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Deub

I planted a few seeds from a halloween pumpkin with the kids, they're growing huge - the biggest one has spread ~3m in total. Is there any particular minding I need to do with these? Should I prune them down to a small number of flowers to ensure a decent sized pumpkin? Or just let them grow and prune once the fruit has set? Or do nothing and just let them at it?

• Advertisement

Been a busy day today.

After buying a 2nd hand frame last year I finally for the plastic in today.

21x 15 ft.

I reckon it cost me 1200 plus many hours of blood and sweat.

Still a saving is a saving and I know what's involved if I ever do another one. 😁

Advertisement