Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Garden 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭bobster453

Anybody any history of buying seeds from Grow It Yourself( shop.giy.ie0

How do they compare to others as regards range and prices etc

Just asking but were they deep enough, too deep, right way around, what quality were they when planting?

Be an idea to dig some up and check them, did they rot?

Having said all that I reckon out of every 30 bulbs I plant maybe 5 never appear so now I am doubly sure that they are good and healthy and put seed and potting compost in with them when planting.

Just looked out front window and see some snowdrops have decided to raise their heads.

Early Tulips coming on nicely too

I love the organic Allium Purple Sensation but you are perfectly correct, planting straight away is key, I made a similar mistake a few years back and within a very short time they had all rotted

Plan for me this year

Already prepared ground in October for next year, plan this year is Rooster potatoes, Early and Autumn carrots, Garlic, Onion sets, Scallions, Parsnips( wife loves these but I only like them with the Christmas dinner), French Beans, Toms, Peppers and Strawberries. Lettuce and Leeks

Might set Rhubarb for 2023 this year too.

Have 6 raised beds cleared and cleaned ready for the kick-off, nice area for potatoes( tried these in various pots, garden bags last year too, okayish but best crop was from way old terracotta pots).

Will try a bit of foot square growing as well just for something different.

Patio area needs new paving and furniture needs treating

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sowed three different varieties of chillis (Basque, Lemon drop and Chinese dragon tongue) yesterday in a propagator in the kitchen. That's 2022's gardening started!

The greenhouse visited a skip last year as the plastic panels were past it. Have a veggie plot in its place this year, looking forward to seeing what i can get into it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Sowed some yellow rattle today through my meadow patch, wasn’t sure about it since it might spread into the lawn but just decided to go with it anyways. Looking forward to seeing the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I have germination! I sowed onions and leeks back at the very beginning of January in my unheated greenhouse. I'd started to give up any hope of them doing anything for me. But had a look this morning and the first of both are starting to pop up! Happy days!

My snow drops are also up. Their little flowers make me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Need to get out and sow my leeks and onions at the weekend. Will keep them indoors until they germimate

The first day of spring, a beautiful day to venture into the garden for the first time this year.

I got plenty of tidying done, great to see the new shoots pushing through, looking forward to a lovely season!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,943 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes it was beautiful. I did lots of pottering and putting in remnants of bulbs that were lying around, regardless of when they were supposed to go in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

For early potatoes, when do people recommend to start chitting them?

Now, or sooner!

I found this article earlier, thought it was a particularly clear and simple outline of the process.

I'm way behind this year. Last year I had 10 tonnes of compost delivered. He can't get his truck in with the wet ground this year.

Need to start sowing some seeds tomorrow inside.

Chilli, pepper, swede and beetroot. Leeks are up and need to be moved to the greenhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I spent the morning outside tidying up the garden getting it ready to let the robot mower back out. I've done a bit of cutting down of shrubs that were dumped in the lawn. The shrubs were cut down further and put into two raised beds I need to finish filling up. Finally getting there with those.

Then this evening I got a load of seeds started - two types of cauliflower, Broccoli red cabbage, celery - none of which I've grown before. I also got some salads down and a few onion sets started in mini pots. Never done that before so said I'd give it a go. And finally I got a load of sunflowers going as well. Productive day, and the greenhouse is still organised, always a plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

What kind of compost are you getting and where are you sourcing it? Was thinking of adding a no-dig area this year but my composting is too far behind for this year and I might be in the market for some. You buying it loose or by large tonne bag?

I'm getting 10 tonnes of compost mixed with horse manure from a guy in kerry.

Hopefully delivered on Monday.

Duplicate

I'm in North Kerry so that might suit me. What kind of area would you cover with 10 tonnes?

I've about 1000 sqm of a garden so about 20 beds.

I use Tom Boyle in a scartaglin. Costs me 480 for 10T. Getting it dropped on Monday morning.

Is anyone using a pointed spade? A blade like a small shovel but angled like a spade. I just got a Burgon & Ball 'groundbreaker' spade and it is well named. If you have any sort of stony or difficult soil this goes through it like a knife through butter.

I looked on line and couldn't find one mail order in Ireland, and postage from anywhere else was ridiculous (mostly Fiskars spades available).I got one in a garden centre in Clonmel eventually, cost me €60 as against £35 sterling, but the postage charges would have easily made up the difference. Very nice spade.

https://greenfingers.com/p33368/burgon_and_ball_rhs_ladies_groundbreaker_spade.aspx

• Advertisement

I might try peat free compost for the first time this year, don’t know how that’s going to work cost wise.

Saw this article on the 10 best peat free composts, anyone use them before?

https://www.gardenersworld.com/product-guides/growing/best-peat-free-composts/

I harvested some seaweed for the veg beds as an alternative, back to the old ways!

Follow up question, do I plant second earlies & main crop at the same time as the earlies?

Thanks for that. I will check him out. Not too far from me anyway.

I took out my seed potatoes this evening to lay them out to chit. All the homeguard potatoes have sprouted fairly extensively, is that okay? Should I reduce them down to a single sprout/potato at this stage?

Don't damage them. They'll be in the ground in a few weeks

I bought a battery powered tiller today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,329 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have a large and a small Chillington Hoe, which I got in the Organic Centre in Leitrim many years ago. They are indestructible, and just the job for heavy duty work.

https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/chillington-heavy-duty-hoe

Anyone with spuds planted needs to keep an eye out for blight this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

How is everyone finding this season progress despite the weather?

In the north west and finding most things are thriving in the brief sunshine as temps seem to be consistent at night.

Wildflowers slow but steady around 6 inches above ground.

Pumpkins have pollinated first flower in the past fortnight.

Dahlias couple starting to bloom, rest at good height and spread, about a foot and a half for larger plants.

Others starting to bloom this week are Livingstone daisy, nasturtium, tomato and zinnia.

Strawberries seem quiet slow this year though.

Rudbeckia and strawflowers have flush leaves but miles off yet.

Advertisement