Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Garden 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks. It should be a game changer for me in the garden. I already grow enough to do me year round but it will increase the variety of veg I can grow

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Fair play, if only I had the patience to grow my own 😏 I have the space , just not the patience or green fingers, I've plenty of shrubs, plants etc which keep me busy. It's not been a great season with the weather so mixed .

But well done , I've great admiration for those who grow their own veg 👍

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Thanks. Took a small village to put it up.

A friend came around and arc welded the joints a few weeks ago.

Another friend helped me put on the plastic. Took us the full day nearly.

• Advertisement

Onions are up and drying.beds made in tunnel and a, load of seed sown in modules to fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Has anyone ever had an experience of Magnolia trees starting to show buds and flowers again for a second time this year?

I've got two in the garden and they are both starting to get buds and flower again, not as many as April - but obviously this time they are full of leaves.

First picture below is April, the others are Today - don't know why boards has turned them on their sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a mature magnolia but no sign of any more flowers, its has loads of seed heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Deub

Maybe with the drought, it thinks it is a mini spring again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Have a rake of carrots, some of them are getting black rings along the stem, any idea what's causing this and how to stop it?

• Advertisement

Its carrot fly I think. Not much you can do about it at this stage. More to the point is preventing it happening next year - there is loads of advice on line and most people have their own pet theories including interplanting with smelly plants like marigolds or onions, putting a barrier round the bed - the fly tends to work at a low altitude and a foot high barrier can prevent them finding the plants, and not handling the carrot foliage - for example to thin them, sow thinly to start with.

Meanwhile harvest the crop and save any that are completely unaffected (not many, usually) and cut out the bad bits to use or freeze the carrots.

Was out in the garden yesterday in between the torrents of rain.

Planted 2kg of garlic and 0.5kg of shallots.

Spent the week spreading seaweed and manure on the empty beds which will be covered in plastic for the winter.

Still lots to harvest. Sprouts, cabbage, kale, carrot, swede, kohlrabi, parsnip.

Polytunnel is full and squash coming on nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I’ve been following the weather on and off for the past while, it seems like we’re having one of the wettest winters of late, lots if saturated soils. It’ll be interesting to see what’ll come back next spring in the garden. I’d be interested in hearing the stories of others! Keeping an eye on my drainage loving plants, half thinking I should dig them up, other half saying I’ve given them enough grit (in my NW Donegal heavy clay) leave them as an experiment and learn from that. I’ve taken cuttings anyways to be sure!

Im holding all bulbs back till the end of the month, hoping for colder drier weather.

As for the garden at the moment, roses in full bloom covered in aphids, lupins and geraniums are back and happy out, the world’s definitely going a bit mad, seems like July on the 1st of November.

Post edited by SnowyMuckish on

I'm in the furthest corner of the country from you and the only things I have in flower are Schizostylis (Kaffir lilies), which are giving a great show, the end of the hydrangeas and a few pansies, only the very occasional rose and certainly no geraniums. I am also on opposite soil to you, very free draining, but still it is impossible to work on so the only gardening being done, between howling gales and lashing rain, is a bit of leaf collecting and tidying. I got a good few plants in a couple of weeks ago but still have a few waiting, plus some bulbs.

I got the shock of my life today when I was out mulching to see my lavender coming back too! Mad!

Ah, surely not! I must go and cut mine back, and the wallflowers. There are still some wallflowers and a few penstemons - oh and the acidanthera and cyclamens. Not many leaves on the trees after today though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

What are good plants to put in planter boxes for the winter months?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'm trying carrots, they've done so well all season so I started some in loo rolls in August and put them out in early September. A variety called Berlikumer 2 that supposedly is good through the winter. They're growing apace, though still very small. Be great to get some carrots in Jan/Feb

Post edited by Igotadose on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have said flowers rather than plants.

I have two planter boxes at the front of the house and would like to put some flowers in there that will survive the winter!

The small viola type pansies. Cyclamen are in flower at the moment and will naturalise given half a chance then flower for a good while in future winters. They will transfer from a pot to the trough with care, try not to disturb the roots as you put them in. Some small bulbs for spring (by which time the pansies will be getting a bit tired. If they are decent sized planters you could try a sarcococca, though it will probably need to be planted out in the garden after a few years. Winter flowering heathers are also a possibility.

• Advertisement

I just put my order through for potatoes for next year with FHF. Ordered 10kg each of the following:

Soloist, Twister, Carolus, Sarpo mira and Purple rain

I've grown carolus and sarpo before with good results. The others are new so hopefully they will work well. 

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Too late to plant bulbs?

With one thing and another, I never got around to planting them.

A mix of tree lilies, daffodils and various other flowers. Best waiting for spring?

They probably won't survive till spring, plant them now, you have nothing to lose and while they may be a bit late they will be better than not planting them. I still have daffodils and alliums to plant, you have just reminded me 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

That's what I thought so planted some today, though quite a few of them were tulips so they should be fine. Heres hoping anyway that I'll have a nice pic to share next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Deub

Do you plant 50kg of seed potatoes every year?

i’ve tried some Carolus this year and it was hit & miss. One plant could be great and the next one could have only small potatoes (walnut size)

Yes. Give or take. I'll fill 5 beds and give any leftover to friends

Got the tulips down today.

Ye better get the fleeces out and start mulching, take anything particularly tender in, by the sounds of it something’s brewing across in the weather forum for next weekend❄️❄️🥶☃️

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Right now, only wines are doing good in my garden. My lemon plant is in the same position for the last six months. Until now, there is no lemon production.

Chardonney?, Blue Nun?, Pinot Grigio?

As for the rest, it is December. And even in mid-summer, unless you have an Conservatory you are not likely to get lemons!

• Advertisement

Dug up my yacon today to make syrup from.

Rhizomes will be stored for planting next year.

Advertisement