Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,601 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think you'd need to know the capacity of the trains on the route vs the occupancy.

Because in my limited and inexpert opinion they shorten carriages on one route to give to another route, and change the schedule.

Then they use total passenger numbers to skew the picture when they've capped the capacity on a line through the above.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 4 diarfinn

If you google "DART plus ten minute frequency" the fourth result is a presentation from Irish Rail called DART Expansion.

On the 3rd slide, you will find the following.

Our ambition is to increase train frequency from the current ten minute frequency to a five minute all day frequency and to lengthen all trains to eight carriages.

I hope this makes you a lot less bolshie about the whole thing.

It took me 10 minutes to find...

EDIT: Not here long enough to post links but you can find it here

https:// www.irishrail.ie/ Admin/ IrishRail/ media/ Content/projects-and-investments/DART-brochure.PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Our ambition is to increase train frequency from the current ten minute frequency to a five minute all day frequency and to lengthen all trains to eight carriages.

At the risk of upsetting people again, I would say that anyone who thinks IE's "ambition" means anything in terms of end user services does not get the train on a regular basis.

The above statement clearly does not refer to Dart+ West either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

1. Train service is over crowded, in frequent. Lack of trains, lack of appropriate railway infrastructure (signalling, permanent way) prevents improvement to situation.

2. Transport planners and railway operator proposes detailed plans to double frequency via large increase to fleet and major reconfiguration of signalling, routes, power supply, depots and stations. This includes requirement to close at grade crossings, in line with international best practice.

3. NIMBY doesn't trust railway operators "commitment" because service they propose to dramatically improve hasn't been improved.

4. Go back to step 1.

• Advertisement

This is the full section, discussing the totality of the DART + project - in a document that is specifically about DART Expansion and is clearly referencing the entire proposed network. You asked for this and I provided it.

The DART Expansion Programme is a transformative railway project, which will modernise and improve the existing rail network, which radiates from Dublin City Centre. It will provide a sustainable, electrified, faster, reliable and user friendly rail system, which increases train frequencies and customer carrying capacity.

It will create a full metropolitan area DART network for Dublin, with all of the lines linked and connected. This will transform the rail system in the Greater Dublin Area, delivering new DART services between the City Centre and Drogheda, Maynooth - M3 Parkway and Hazelhatch - Celbridge. DART Expansion will enable an increase in capacity network-wide from the Regions to the GDA.

Customer capacity and train service frequency on these lines will be significantly increased as a result of the programme. This will help to deliver a more efficient transport system, allowing more people to make sustainable travel choices that reduce their carbon footprint and prevent chronic road congestion helping to meet the goals set out in the state’s Climate Action Plan.

Our ambition is to increase train frequency from the current ten minute frequency to a five minute all day frequency and to lengthen all trains to eight carriages. The cumulative network effect of DART Expansion, subject to Government authorisation and funding, will increase customer capacity from circa 26,000 customers per hour per direction (2019) to circa 50,000-60,000 (peak) passengers per hour per direction under the National Development Plan investment and future growth capacity potential to 70,000-80,000 (peak) passengers per hour per direction thereafter, subject to further fleet procurement.

EDIT

As an FYI

You can the exact same wording in the options selection report on the DART West project site (page 13)

https://www.dartplus.ie/getattachment/1130c5dd-5a59-4dea-bcee-d093f6e85a4a/Option-Selection-Report-Volume-2-Technical-Report.pdf

Post edited by diarfinn on

Always a good sign when someone jumps repeatedly to NIMBY.

Most accurate way to judge future performance is to look at past past experiences. If they (IE ) are dishonest or disingenuous or economical with information in the past its logical that everything else they do going forward will be treated with skepticism.

IMO The Dart+ west always gets least priority. Therefore you can expect the same going forward. I'm not sure what you hoping for. There will be no guarantee the plan will get get implemented as imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You are not going to find an absolute commitment to particular frequencies in the future as that will depend on government funding at the time.

But you can certainly see the indications above. Post-electrification I would certainly expect that the core section of the Maynooth Line from Clonsilla inwards would have a 10 minute frequency off-peak during the day like the existing DART service between Howth Junction and Bray (20 mins from each of Maynooth and M3 Parkway).

As already posted the service level provision is now dictated by the NTA and not Irish Rail. The NTA certainly want high frequency rail services on all DART lines to turn them all into “turn up and go” services along the core sections.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

You forgot;

5. Poor debater realises facts are not on his side, resorts to personal insults

It's not that I don't trust IE. I'm sure they have the best of intentions. However, I have 25 years of getting the train day in, day out that gives me very little confidence of their ability to realise those intentions.

And without any fear of penalty for the company or personal responibility for their employees, I'm wondering why people are so sure that this time, this time it will definitely be different. There is neither carrot nor stick to prevent them from pissing away billions and wrecking the place in the process.

They'll get contractors to design and build the railway and I'm sure it will look great. Then it'll be handed over to IE...

You can the exact same wording in the options selection report on the DART West project site

Yeah, but it's still 'ambition' and talking about "existing 10-minute frequency" cannot apply to the current Maynooth line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there is no wrecking the place, simply closing a few level crossings that are no longer needed and are an out of date entity.

they will be closing, that is a fact, it may not happen under the current dart+ plan but they will be closing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Have you seen the size of the pedestrian crossings that will be built over the to-be-closed level crossings?

I get that they need to be a certain size to allow an incline that disabled people can manage, but if any private developer suggested a similar structure in an environmentally protected area, they'd be laughed out of it.

Nothing wrong with aspirational plans. I just wouldn't have high expectations they will be fully realized. Or that any of it will happen in a useful timeframe for myself. "...near.. far away..." etc.

I also wouldn't be too hung up aligning aspirational plans with what's there currently. They can't co-exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They cannot realise those intentions if there are physical restrictions because level crossings, not to mention the idiots that use them and go through them on red, something which happens every single time at Coolmine.

The circular argument is that Irish Rail need to close level crossings to improve service frequency, I don't believe Irish Rail will increase frequency so I will oppose the closure of the level crossing until they do improve service frequency. That is a sure way that service frequency will never improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As an alternative, they could build the bridge at Stationcourt Way, but you NIMBY object to that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

And without any fear of penalty for the company or personal responibility for their employees, I'm wondering why people are so sure that this time, this time it will definitely be different. 

There are penalties for Irish Rail if they don't deliver the services under their PSO contract from the National Transport Authority. Very similar to how Go Ahead Ireland was fined by the NTA for not delivering the bus service they said they would offer (https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/go-ahead-to-be-fined-for-not-delivering-adequate-bus-service-1.3958652)

From that Irish Times article an NTA spokesperson said:

“Penalties are part and parcel of such public service obligation contracts,” he said. “Last year, for example Dublin Bus were penalised to the tune of about €1.2million and Bus Éireann by about €600,000. The targets set for Go-Ahead Ireland were more ambitious than for Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann.”

The only reason that the National Transport Authority doesn't have a contract with Irish Rail to provide a better service on the Maynooth line is that Irish Rail don't even have the trains/carriages to run more services (every working train across the country is in service at peak times) and that the existing infrastructure cannot support big increases in frequency.

The National Transport Authority are pushing forward with the DART+ West project and the DART+ Fleet project to resolve these exact two projects so that Irish Rail can be contracted to run an improved frequency. The contact for DART+ Fleet has been signed with Alstom who are already building the new trains.

The National Transport Authority are legally obliged under the Dublin Transport Authority Act 2008 to deliver the contents of the GDA Transport Strategy, which includes increased train frequencies on the DART line to Maynooth.

Irish Rail don't have a great history of delivering projects, but that's not normally their fault (See the FG government pulling the plug on DART Underground). There is a risk that nothing happens with this project (recession, inflation etc). I don't see a world where, after we've already paid for the new trains, where we would also paid for electrification the line/removing the level crossings/new bridges etc, the two super expensive parts, and then not increase services in line with demand (the relatively cheap part)

After DART expansion the maynooth line will be also be DART, therefore discussions about the future frequency post expansion would relate to Maynooth too. All lines on the DART network will move to this frequency. This frequency has been clearly stated in loads of documentation about the DART expansion programme as it relates to the greater dublin area in general as well as the maynooth line in particular.

You can look anywhere in the DART west documentation and see references to increased frequency everywhere. It's clearly the plan to have higher frequencies. Why in the world would they include a mention of 5 minute frequencies in the DART West documentation if it doesn't apply to DART West?

No disrespect but no reasonable interpretation of the documentation would lead anyone to believe that they are not looking at these frequencies across the entire expanded network, including DART West. It may or may not be a train every 5 minutes all day (demand may dictate otherwise) but it's abundantly clear that a dramatic increase in service is planned. Just look at the how many trains they have committed to buying (250 at the very minimum and up to 600). Look at the size of the depot planned. Why invest in infrastructure for increased frequency and not use it?

https://electrek.co/2019/05/27/ireland-600-electric-trains/

It's also clear from this CIE statement that the strategy is for "turn up and go" services all through the day which indicates a clear desire for increased frequencies all over the DART Expansion area, all day.

DART Expansion will transform train services with customers being less constrained by timetables and instead being provided a “turn up and go” mode of transport throughout the day. The expansion of services is at the core of our strategy to deliver more sustainable transport and deliver on the three pillars of sustainable development:

https://www.cie.ie/Enviromental-Corporate-Responsibility/Climate-action

You have your doubts on whether Irish Rail are up to the task and that's fine. You've asked for documentation on where Irish Rail have stated the frequency and I've provided it. You can disagree with what is provided but I think that is a very unreasonable interpretation.

Unless you have evidence to suggest otherwise (I'd be very happy to see it) - I don't think your arguments are credible

Lads, there is no point in engaging with this fella anymore. More evidence that NIMBYism is a disease of the brain

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i have, they aren't perfect no but they will do given what is going to be got in return.

the crossings are going, it's a case of when and not if.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

If users of the service have experienced service degradation on the services they use over a long period of time, completely unrelated to level crossings. It weakens the argument, that you'll actually do what you promise. That's just human nature.

I'm not entirely sure why these things need to be so fugly. Anyone would think they were trying to put people off. Whereas...

They should just close the crossing even for a trial and see what happens. There was a good opportunity during Lockdown to do this.

• Advertisement

How do pedestrians cross the railway if the crossing is closed "as a trial"?

The only reason that the National Transport Authority doesn't have a contract with Irish Rail to provide a better service on the Maynooth line is that Irish Rail don't even have the trains/carriages to run more services (every working train across the country is in service at peak times) and that the existing infrastructure cannot support big increases in frequency.

In my experience they have increased journey times, and reduced train lengths on the docklands at least. I assume this is to provide capacity, priority elsewhere.

What's the time frame for the Dart+ changes on the Maynooth line.

There's an existing pedestrian bridge in the station.

Which many pedestrians currently frequently use when the crossing is closed and they don't want to wait.

Noticeably joggers/runners.

And how does someone in a pram or a chair or generally can't hike it up lots of stairs get across?

They could go a different way.

Traffic evaporation.

You think that repeatedly calling me a NIMBY will somehow affect me. All it does is convince me even more that your arguments are nonsense if that's the best you can do.

I accept the pedestrian crossings are needed, but they're ugly as bejeesus, that's all. Slap in the middle of the new greenway too.

As previously noted, the land at Stationcourt Way is a public green space, and you'd still need another one at the station anyway, so I'm not sure what that would solve.

They could add a lift at the train station. Though they seem to be always out of service for some reason. Lifts should be available in all stations.

Be handy for the bike though. Getting too old to by carrying the bike over that pedestrian bridge like I used to, folded or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

There are sites all along the Sligo mainline, moreso 30 years ago.

Sadly no time machines available, it'll take generations to sort out the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

DART + West is the top priorty of all the DART + Projects for the simple reason it contains the new depot for the entire DART fleet, if it doesn't go ahead, there's nowhere to store or maintain the fleet.

• Advertisement

Advertisement