Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 5) Greystones Golf Club (17th June 1330 hrs -1500 hrs)(GOLF AND SOCIAL)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You know I’m picking 6 Kevin 👹

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Great that you're joining us Kevin, are you a member in Greystones?

6th has to be in the challenge, that hole was made for a contest like this! Have played the course three times now I think and am 0/3, actually 0/6, if you include reloads! Have missed the fairway with 3 wood, 5 and 6 iron, great hole. Will need a new strategy I think 🤔

Greystones is a great track, real thinking man's golf course (front 9 especially), don't know how Seve won the Captain's there! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 20,877 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The 6th holes sounds daft for this contest ...but hey , in boards Golf society we respect all golfers and bad shots equally.

Anything that avoids the bonus prize ...I'm all in....

Anyway ...not my call...

Each tee box will have a mark to remind you ...

The 6th isn’t hard anymore. Well not that hard. It used to locally known as the Garvaghy Road, well it still kinda is but it is not as apt anymore. When you get to it, imagine if everything on the hill on left was gorse and also everything to the right of the path was tall dense gorse, all the way back to the back of the tee box and you only that narrow strip to navigate.I’ll snap a pic on Saturday.

Now there is loads of room. 4 iron is as much as a long hitter will need (unless strong wind in your face). There will be very few lads hitting driver here. But if you are brave enough to hit the big stick the rewards can be huge. It is certainly the hole which has cost me most money in brand new pro v’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

From the flyovers on the club web site , it looks a cracking course, all about plotting your way around rather than smashing it. Has the look of the older courses , Waterford , Kilkenny come to mind. Looking forward to it, but i think it is too narrow for my game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Yep, a member at Greystones. Been playing there since I was a kid. My grandad lived 50 yards from the 3rd (now 10th) fairway. Actually drove past his house a week ago and the bungalow has long gone. Five big houses in its place and not a practice putting green to be seen.

Fix has asked me to put up an exhibition of my photographs for the Boards Greystones event and I will be doing that on the day. It will be in the restaurant (upstairs) and I expect that's where you'll be eating so you'll be surrounded by prints from all over the country. They will be available to buy should anyone be interested!

PS. Not Greystones😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'll bite, Carne?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

yes it's a tight track that has been putting manners on my game for over 30 years now although it is (as I mentioned earlier on) a little more forgiving nowadays. It is certainly a golf course that requires and rewards accuracy as opposed to suiting the bombers.

I would hazard a guess that this is probably the oldest club the society has ever visited with the exception of the Curragh. Opened in 1895 (127 years ago) initially as a 9 hole course with a beautiful clubhouse only a couple of minutes walk from the centre of the village. I am not sure when it became an 18 hole course but I think it was shortly after and would probably be well over 100 years ago. The original clubhouse pictured below suffered a fire in the early 1990's and we shortly after relocated to the current building, which itself is a very old manor house (maybe 100years+ I'm not sure exactly), sitting proudly atop of a hill.

In the years which followed, the front 9 was redesigned and there is no longer any trace of the old building. It was located to the left hand side of what is now the 8th fairway. The back 9 retains the original layout, although with gentle improvements here and there. Take a look at the old sign (nearly worn away now) on the big tree as you walk from the 13th Green to 14th tee box. It's funny that most of my time in Greystones has been played with the current layout, but I still often call holes by their old numbers, FFS Seve, they changed about 25 years ago! 🙄

So lots of history around the place with Ryder cup players and Irish Amateur Internationals having represented the club over the years. Take a walk around and look at the photos and memorabilia hanging around the walls. Of course there is a nice corner dedicated to Paul Dunne also. Don't miss the front lobby where the trophy cabinet is kept. I am honoured to have my name on the oldest (and many say the nicest) trophy in the club, The Residents Cup, which was apparently sponsored by the local residents over 100 years ago. Of course you might also spot my name on the wall in the main bar also 😁

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

"Of course you might also spot my name on the wall in the main bar also"

Don't serve this guy? 🤣

So the timesheet will be going live tonight on your ClubNet App at 7pm folks. As usual we would appreciate if you can book in as early as possible so that we can gauge numbers and liaise with the club.

As Fix has mentioned, this one is a bit different being on a Friday it gives us a chance to play a course which would never be available to us if we were restricting ourselves to weekends only. Not only that, but he has also come up with the idea of a summer social element to have a bit of banter and a maybe a few pints afterward rather than all jumping back in our cars and heading home to the 4 corners of Ireland straight afterwards!

Kevins exhibition will certainly enhance the social aspect and I'm sure I speak for everyone of us when I say many thanks to Kevin for playing along. He might even sign your Hooked books if you ask him nicely 😎

So a social is no good without a bit of grub and we are very grateful to Greystones Golf Club who have given us a very special price to include food. Now I know it's impossible to please everyone, but we can't have the whole menu at our disposal, so Captain Fix has opted for a Thai Green Chicken Curry (there will also be a vegetarian option available). I know this is another first for the society so hopefully there will be no complaints 😳

Then we have Fix's Fairway Finder (which might end up costing him a fortune 😂) so we really should be set up for a cracker of a fun filled day. Remember your fee for the day includes a lot more than usual, so it really is smashing value.

For those who plan to hang around, stay over or whatever, I think the plan will be to hopefully have a few relaxed pints in the club and make the short walk (10 minutes) down to the town and see what the local publicans have to offer.

Anyone heading out early, the club restaurant will be open for lunch, or alternatively if you want to check out some of the great dining options around the village, the likes of the Happy Pear is always a popular spot.

Unfortunately Greystones is lacking in hotel accommodation but Druids Glen, The Glenview and The Wilton in Bray are all within 10 minutes drive and The Martello on Bray Seafront has been recommended to me also. Actually Bray has a good few options so you could check out the likes of booking.com or Air B&B. Newtownmountkennedy is also only a short spin away and I'm pretty sure there might be a hotel there. Please fee free to PM or text me if you want any advice or even a lift from your accommodation before or after golf. The club car park will be locked at night time and it is quite safe to leave your car there overnight.

The Pigeon House in Delgany has been recommended for Breakfast the next morning so at least a couple of us have plans to meet up there on Saturday morning.

I think that's enough for now!

Post edited by Seve OB on

@Kevinmarkham

Kevin - can I thank you for doing that. I really wanted something a bit different for the day - hopefully you can play a few holes with us too, but understand if you can't.

Your photos are amazing - and thanks for all the years of advice and information to people here (from the very start) - You have played a big part in people discovering golf in Ireland that was unknown. It has been a massive help to me personally, in my own Irish golf discovery and a big help to the society for ideas for courses over the years.

Your book Hooked (that I seem to have given away twice) genuinely never sent me wrong. You seem to have a very similar taste in courses to myself.

Again - thanks Kevin , hopefully you can also have a few pints with us.

Catch you there.

Fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭a post punk

I have been looking forward to this outing since the courses and dates were released and it’s a super idea to take a day off work and play golf instead !! Captains prize nights out are always good craic because you realise you are not the only 1 that hit a bad shot or played not as good as you’d have hoped on the day and you can have a good laugh about it later…..

Fairplay to our Captain and Seve for organising the outing and getting a great rate aswell with food. Value for money these days is hard to find.

The Pictures are stunning Kevin , Hooked has been my Bible since taking up golf 10 years ago roughly and I use it to tick off what courses I’ve played and Dates, and on a very odd occasion a good score gets noted also(very odd occasion 😂)Looking forward to the exhibition. Thanks for giving up your time to set it up.

See ye in greystones

PP

Time sheet open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

In! Looking forward to it, should be able to sleep in my own bed which is nice. Now getting someone to collect me might be a bridge too far, but we'll see! 😄

Liking the sounds of things Fix, keep up the good work Captain! Thanks for all the organising Seve 😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Great food choice, on a half day so out in the last group. Bring the sunshine

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

You betcha. 14 on the Wild Atlantic Dunes course

• Advertisement

I sometimes call the 8th the 18th. That old clubhouse had a lot of charm to it... especially after a litre of red lemonade

You're very kind to say so, Fix. To be frank, that was always the intention of the book. Open people's eyes to the courses we have. And yes, I've noticed before we have similar tastes in golf courses.

Very happy to contribute to the day and looking forward to seeing everyone at the golf club. I suspect I'll only recognise a few faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

really looking forward to this one now. Took the day off so no worrying about rushing down after a morning in work

Was reading on a thread other day about lads liking sea views on golf courses. Here is a pic of 7th green this morning with the Irish Sea in the background

Great photo seve ...keep her on the fairway today...

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭blue note

That's right. I'd said the only real sea view on Portmarnock links was 16th tee box. That was wrong! Maybe it was because of where the tees were before, but there are great views a couple of times before that.

One more I should have added is after playing 12th, follow the pathway around the back left of the green. You will pass the back of the 15th green and the tee box for the 13th is shared with the 16th.

There are only 2 tees, Blue or Green and not a lot in between them. We will be playing off the Greens.

Buggies (€30) and Electric trolleys (€10) can be hired but need to be booked in advance to make sure they have them charged just give the pro shop a call. Pull trolleys are also available @ €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Snackbox20

The course looks fantastic and really looking forward to playing another new course. The fairway finder comp sounds like a right idea 😁😁😁🏌️🏌️. Must see if there are any spare fields around Greystones that would let me pitch a tent, I have a couple of 5 persons tents that I could throw in the boot if the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Snackbox20

Nearly missed out, just booked my timeslot there 😮‍💨 phew

• Advertisement

18th Fairway

Advertisement