Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Which one gets the most wrist time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

The omega gmt and Tudor catch my eye the most there . There’s something about the previous gen seamasters . The video you did really shows how different the previous gen is compared to the new , it’s a lot more refined.

lovely collection but why have you blank spaces in the box??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Looking good Banie, a very decent collection and rapidly expanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Ian OB

He mentioned his son. Offspring will set you back at least 1 Rolex per year per head. Farmers are right, there's no money in livestock!! 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wrist time, at the moment it's between the Omega GMT and the Promaster. That's despite having the newer SMP in the box. Least is the Solas, I love it,I just don't wear Dress Watches all that often.

The omega GMT could end up pulling double service in a few years as if my lad ever gets a taste for bigger than 37mm? It'd actually be a birth year watch for him 🤔 planning ahead for his 21st 🤣 that said apart from hijacking the Hamtun for a while? His taste drifts more to Cartier and the one watch in the box he'd snatch is the Astronaut

The empty space's are discipline, they are a temptation test 🤣

And thanks Fitz, that's high praise indeed. I have yet to lear the discipline yourself & John have of fewer watches and moving up. I'll get there tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

I think you need a king piece!

But equally there is a lot to be said about balance equally. Not purely driven by price but more quality wise equal.

That Arstro…..having handled it……makes my skin crawl 😹. I don’t care about the hertitage. Nuke it from orbit. Or pass it on your son now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

I love the newer Omega. They look so good on rubber! I am always tempted by them. Micks one has me tempted now!1

That's harsh, it's a piece of history 😉 and tbh if nothing else it's a great story in sourcing a watch. I do think the clasp in particular was the end of any consideration for you on that one. It is an awful piece of stamped metal in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

My current collection following some recent trading. Think this is going to be it for a while. From top left:

Zenith Pilot Type 20 Extra Special (45mm bronze)

Glashutte Original Senator Chronometer (42mm rose gold)

Panerai Radiomir PAM00572 (45 mm SS)

Tag Heuer Professional (38mm gold/ss)

Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 (43mm SS)

Outcarb (don't ask - the result of having too much drink late at night. I haven't even checked to see if it works)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I think Banie its time to put a Rolex in that box, that would be an amazing thing to give to the son you are proud of on his 21st. Not only giving him a watch, a memory of his dad, but a plane ticket home and money for a solicitor in any country in the world for the rest of his life. Instantly exchangeable for cash.

Honestly I have massively reduced my collection in size and value, the rat race of leveling up all the time is no longer viable in this market. I shall live vicariously through others.

• Advertisement

Another lovely collection but there’s two extremes in size in one box - 38mm tag to a 45mm Panerai!

Some lovely pieces Kostal, the Zenith catches my eye but the Glashutte is an Uber classy piece.

Fitz, I know what you mean and I really do take your point but I just can't countenance paying grey prices for one. I'm on the mythical list and if one ever comes up? I'll put the money down 😉

The Omega GMT isn't a birthyear watch for the boy after all 🤦‍♂️

It's a 2009 rather than a 2004. Still, I get to keep it know whilst I keep an eye out for something for him. Knowing him, it'll be a Cartier Santos or a weird spec omega constellation .

• Registered Users Posts: 64,676 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A sub date is just under €10k retail. For that sort of money you'd have a decent choice of Rolex steel sports watches grey / second hand. You'd have a pre-ceramic submariner for less than that and a ceramic one for not an awful lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 happyguitar

This is my daily wear/beater watch collection. Nothing fancy. All ETA movements. All about legibility. Even the Eins single hand is surprisingly easy to read down to the minute.

Right row: Archimede pilot 42/6498

Archimede pilot 39/2824

Archimede deck watch/6498

Laco B dial 39/2801

Laco Cuxhaven 42.6/6498

Left: Fortis Spacematic 40/2836

Incognito Eins blue dial/one hand 40/2824

Stowa Ikarus hand wind Top

Stowa blue dial 40/2824 Top

Very nice, the ikarus is the pick of the bunch for me . Think I’ll pick one up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10 happyguitar

Ikarus is a nice looking dial. It's not àn easy read if you want it to see the time. The numbers don't jump out at you. You have to look hard for them.

I rarely look at my watch to tell the time anyway , Fitbit on my right arm is much more accurate .

Can't say that my experience has been the same. I find it very easy to read the time

Slow morning in the office so playing around with watches and thought I’d update the SOTC . Strongly considering consolidating a lot of pieces into something higher end but there is nothing really I would buy at the moment with the way the market is .Also the fact that I like most of these watches regardless of cost but I can’t get away from the fact that there is too many.

My most worn of them all is probably the BB pro and the Seiko Arnie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭traco

Some collection - one for each day of the month.

@scwazrh lovely collection and I particularly like your BB pro 😉

The current line up.

I have been flipping and swapping a lot over the last year, but!

I think I'm done for a little while, although if a Sinn Damaszener was to crop up? I'd at least try and make an offer for it.

Omega 2535.80 GMT

Self Build GMT (6460 mvmt)

WC 3878-02

Citizen Promaster

Sólás Starlight

Sinn U2-SDR

Sinn 103 Destro

Sinn U2W

Hamtun H2

Tudor BlackBay Red

Accutron Astronaut

I sold my Grey Seamaster a couple of months ago and that funded my new Sinn. There is certainly scope for something in the Rolex and up range, if not just for the experience of owning one. That said I still baulk at the grey market prices. When the son is finished Uni 😉 plenty of time for the call from an AD by then, esp if he goes on to a master's 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I miss I IWC LPP

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Here is my current bunch,

From L to R

Zenith Chronomaster sport, IWC pilot chrono 41, IWC portuguese chrono, Omega Dark side of the Moon and Blancpain fifty fathoms in titanium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭griffin100

My very modest collection. 

NOMOS Glashütte Tangente 38 (got my wife to get this for my 50th birthday but in keeping with my usual watch buying approach I got her to get one that was less than a year old from Watchfinder at 50% of the retail price

Solas Starlight - was going to pass this on but it’s nice to have a black dress watch a well as the white Nomos

Seiko Prospex - I love this watch. It’s my most frequent daily wearer at the minute 

Seiko Perpetual Calendar  - never worn

Festina Chronograph - my kids bought me this about 5 years ago as it’s a Tour De France edition so it’s got a lot of sentimental value.

A pair of G Shocks. The black one is probably my favourite watch and is my beater watch.

Tag Aquaracer - my first ‘good watch’ - has a broken crown that I need to get fixed. If I valued it a bit more I probably would have it repaired.

Seiko Chronograph - my wife bought me this as a graduation present almost 25 years ago when I got my PhD. The most important watch in the box. 

I’m considering https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/ocean-one-black-dlc.html as my last watch (that or an Arnie).

My current SOTC, albeit minus my Accutron Astronaut as my son has it welded to his wrist presently.

Sinn U2-W

Sinn U2SDR

Sinn 103 Military MkIV Destro

Sinn 104 St Sa W

Blancpain Leman 2185f

IWC Spitfire 3878-02

Omega Seamaster GMT 2535.80.00

Tudor Blackbay 41mm

Self built omega homage GMT

Citizen Promaster JP3050-55W

And last but by no means least, my Sólás Starlight.

Future "wants" are a Sinn Damaszener & Hunting 3006, but truth be told? It'll probably be whatever 893 flips next 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

A modest collection:

Seiko 5- the watch that got me into this hobby about 20 years ago. It wasn't a hobby until the last few years

Seiko SKX009

Lorus RH921LX9

A Getat

G-Shock DW-5600

Seiko Flightmaster

Seiko SNN079P2

Timex Expedition T49905

Casio Duro

Parnis U-Boat clone (didn't know that at the time)

Invicta Model 21256

Invicta Pro-Driver

Timex Expedition Grid

Orient Fung2003b

Citizen BM8475-00X

Orient Mako I XL

Yema Jump Hour

Timex Expedition T44642

Looking at the above, I must sort out some decent display cases.

Here is how things have progressed in the last 2 years since my last post

A lot of familiar faces from the post above, but also a good bit of new stuff as the collection has evolved.

I recently realised that I'm only a few years away from 40 and decided that if I want to get something nice to mark it I need to start saving now! So for the next while the focus will be on building up a watch fund that will make it justifiable to get to something nice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Nice. Not many Montas in Ireland id wager, is the quality as good as "they" say it is? Have been tempted to pick one up for a while. How does the new Oceanking wear in comparison to the BB58 and what are your general thoughts on it?

Advertisement