Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Ankle high socks recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Pros/Cons to doing a weekly club track session in place of a solo session that is geared specifically to the individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I probably shouldn't really comment as I don't train with my club but i'm an opinionated fecker so here I am..lol...

I've changed my mind on this one over the years. I think the pros far outweigh the cons except maybe if you're in a marathon specific block.

Running with other people sharpens you. You'll probably push yourself that little bit harder.

It's less of a mental slog suffering with other people.

As long as you're not racing your training every week and recovering sufficiently then I think it's a good thing.

The only con is you're not getting specific tailored training for that day but I'm not sure that's as big an issue as you light think. Good club coaches probably will adjust things for you on the fly but I'm not sure how common it is.

Put it this way, if I had the option I'd certainly train with the club more often, but not every week. But that's just me.

Thanks @Sad Professor@Swashbuckler, thank you. It likely wouldn't be every week for me anyhow as underage football and soccer match schedules are far too fluid to allow me to commit to anything with certainty 🙄 I think I will go for it. I need a change anyhow and now seems like a good time I've nothing to lose, the bar is about as low as it's been in a long time.

Its especially beneficial when you're on the comeback (like you are post Covid). It might just take the mental slog out of it. Another benefit is you might be able to ignore the watch a bit and just focus on effort and those around you. Takes the pressure off a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

It definitely depends on how the club sessions are set up. If it's an actual coach, then I would absolutely be of the opinion you can get a lot out of them.

The pros for me:

• having someone to work with / off. i know from doing so many solo sessions during covid times, there is serious benefit in sharing the load with another runner. At our sessions, we're encouraged to stick in groups and switch up who's leading each rep. It seems obvious but until I got into doing this I didn't cop how beneficial it is.
    • pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. I don't mean pushing on in pace even, but trying sessions you might shy away from on your own, or the big one for me is not taking extra recovery. I'd be very kind to myself that way training on my own!
    • we don't use a track (hopefully will soon!) but i think that can only be a positive
    • with our sessions, the different races coming up for people are taken into account so while not individually geared, they're not irrelevant. obviously it's up to you to know your 5k/ 10k pace etc as opposed to being told run at x pace when you have your own coach, but I suppose with the right coach that shouldn't matter too much

I don't think there are many cons, the obvious one is the temptation to run with the faster group but you'll get found out quick enough as reps continue. I know sometimes I'd be looking at people I know I'm near in races but they're going way harder in training, but once i know I'm controlling my paces as the session dictates, then that's the main thing. I don't think you'd be the type to get caught up in that anyway! The other con I can think of is if you have a completely different race coming up to everyone else and the session isn't really tailored to this. Oh and the last one is being stuck to a certain time for running that day! Can be annoying for some people

Overall, I am now very pro group coached sessions in case you couldn't tell 🤣

Thanks, I'm sold. It's only one session per week anyhow and the rest I'd still be in control of. @ReeReeG yeah it is with a coach and I know at times anyhow he tailors it around key races that are on locally and in particular if a lot of people are targeting them and coming up to DCM there is always a marathon group and "another" group, so that's helpful. I don't think I have much to lose.

I was actually wondering if it would frustrate me not having the session pre-programmed and then not having exact splits but actually you make a good point, right now the watch is a bit disheartening anyhow so focussing on just effort and ignoring the watch could be better mentally.

Thanks a million folks.

Well if you have a Garmin i'd encourage you to use the lap button. By using the lap button at the beginning and end of each rep you'll be able to see your splits afterwards. It's what I did on my session yesterday. It was essentially a session I made up on the fly so I just hit go at the start. When I decided to start the 1 mile rep I hit the lap button at the beginning and end of the mile, then I hit it again after 3 minutes recovery to signal the start of the 800m rep and hit it when finisheed that rep....and so on...Then afterwards all the data is in Garmin - not that I analyse it much but still go to know what pace I managed for each rep.

All that being said - when things feel like a little bit of a slog its no bad thing to just forget the data for a while and just get a feel for things. But each to their own. I'm very much a run by feel runner. I'd have fit in well in the old days when people just ran. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Snodge

Are Nike Vapourflys and Alphasflys permitted for track racing or road only? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Not allowed on track. Specific sole thickness allowed is set out in World Athletics Competition Rules C2.1A, Appendix 3: https://www.worldathletics.org/about-iaaf/documents/book-of-rules

Track Events (including hurdle events) up to but not including 800m => Maximum sole thickness: 20mm

Track Events from 800m and above (including steeplechase events) => Maximum sole thickness: 25mm

Vaporfly and Alphafly are both substantially thicker than those limits, but both under (or at) the road race limit, which is 40mm

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Does anyone know if the canal around Mullingar is paved for grass? Second question is it suitable for a 10 mile run (5 out 5 back)?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sav1

It is not all paved/tarmac but it is a good surface no grass very suitable for a 10mile. Depending on which way you go or where you are starting there is only one road where you may have to cross at the "Dublin road bridge". If you are starting at the greenway carpark in the Clonmore and head west along the canal there is a minor road to cross but it is very quite.

If you are looking for all paved you could head out the greenway from clonmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I

Thank you both for the recommendations.

Unfortunately even with best of intentions the run didn't happen. The event I was at ran over and it would've seen me start the run after 9pm.

I wouldn't feel comfortable running that late in an unfamiliar setting.

I did have a quick look and could see that across from lidl on the way into Mullingar from Athlone that they seem to have built a car park that can access the canal and the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

I'm just wondering if people typically train in one pair of shoes and wait until they are worn out before switching to a new pair. I'm training for DCM. I have a pair of Kayano 28's that haven't that much mileage on them yet but I'm wondering if I should be looking to buy another pair now and alternate between them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

I’ve about 15 pairs of running shoes,there are others on here who have way more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I would say yes have another pair of runners to train in also. You will be doing a fair bit of mileage between now & DCM & the last thing you need to be doing is buying a brand new pair of runners before the marathon & not have worn them in a bit. I like to rotate my runners & have a good few pairs now but for my 1st marathon I just went between 2 pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I always have 2 or 3 pairs in rotation and never wear the same pair two days in a row. It can take more than 24 hours for the sole of a shoe to decompress and the shoes last longer that way. Also, I always have 2 different kinds of shoes, like rotating one pair of Saucony Kinvara and a pair of Brooks Pureflow or similar.

• Advertisement

Thanks @Laineyfrecks @TFBubendorfer @FinnC looks like I'm off to the shops :) Thanks for the quick replies.

One more question and I'll leave you alone then! Would you recommend trying a different shoe or sticking with a new pair of what I'm use to?

No problem with the questions ask away😊

I would say it's completely down to you. Do you feel like you would like to try something new? Are there runners you have been looking at? I ran my 1st marathon in Asics then started reading the runners threads & started buying lots more! I read a lot of reviews on the new runners around at the time & decided to try new ones & was really happy with most of my choices. Best thing to do is read up as much as you can about the runners & make an informed decision!

Thanks again @Laineyfrecks

Did someone say new runners?! 😬

Wondered when you'd show up🤣🤣 @memaul this man @Swashbuckler is the man in the know about runners & getting bargains 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Just a basic question. I have gone back to running after a few years gap. Back about 4 months.

I have gained a lot of weight in the interm

Im finding it hard to do a solid 3 mile run. I stop a lot.

I have a decent pair of runners.

Perhaps my overall health is bad. Hard to say

But I'm just not happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Firstly fairplay for taking the step back to running and hopefully you are seeing benefits in many ways from it.

I'd be curious to know are you simply trying too hard here and possibly running too often, ease it back...maybe consider for a few weeks to build in walk breaks into the runs and just give it more time. When I started off running 9 years back I was considered heavier than I am now and it was hard, I started in May 2013 and got my first injury in August the same year and had a few weeks off. It was only then I released that I liked running and I missed it...even though it was still hard. Took me a long time to learn any sort of pacing as everything was as fast as I was able to run.

Just take it easy and allow your body the time to adjust to new levels of activities. You don't mention how many days a week are you running, 3 times a week would be loads for now I think and make sure you take a day off from running between each run. No harm to work in some walking in your week also as whilst it's not running it is still time on your feet and will keep you on the path for regular exercise. Best of luck with your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Thank you so much. I used to run a few years back but stopped. Im doing roughly 3 days a week. I think it was the echoes of my previous running that makes me Guilty. I did about 3 half marathons 6 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Hi Bobtheman, fair play getting back into it.

Comparison is the thief of joy, so accept where you are right now, run easy and as Diego said, add walk breaks.

Sounds like you've got the consistency box ticked but are you tackling the diet in the kitchen as running in itself plays a very minor part.

I've shifted 12kg since December and its made a huge difference to my running improvement and enjoyment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm in a similar situation, the only way is to slow way down and include walk breaks in your run, so maybe 5 min run, 1 min walk, repeat for 30 mins and then gradually increase the run segment so that you are running the full 3 miles without stopping.

Advertisement