Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Infrastructure within the north itself is woeful- the idea of wasting this amount of money on this white elephant would be obscene. What it needs is new motorways and railway’s especially west of the bann

The Tories trying to pass laws restricting protests and public gatherings isn't a coincidence, trouble has to be brewing with some of the pointers. Inflation hitting 9% ahead of the EU despite the Pound being up against the EU which has reduced some of the increases. On top of that is the recent long-term wage stagnation which is going to have to change hard soon. Plus they had some protection on energy with the North Sea still providing some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭ambro25

Trademark disputes double following Brexit

https://www.cityam.com/uk-trademark-disputes-double-following-britains-exit-from-the-european-union/

Not a surprise (I posted that eventual Brexit consequence years ago).

There is a Brexit benefit to UK IP firms, in that the increased number of oppositions at the UKIPO means that they’ve done, and are doing, more fee-earning work about UK rights (whether they act for the applicant or for the opponent)…

…but, and of course, that benefit is to be contrasted with the loss of fee-earning work about EU rights since 01.01.21; the investments in the EU before and since then, to try and preserve that work with new structures/partnerships/joint ventures (…and new jobs) in the EU; and increased domestic competition from EU firms that have done the same thing ‘in reverse’ (set up small shops in UK for access to UKIPO).

The losers are, unsurprisingly, businesses (more or less doubling of registration and enforcement costs) and ultimately their customers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've noticed that a few firms have been setting and/or expanding their continental operations which tend to be located within the vicinity of the EPO's offices in Munich and The Hague.

As the prime minister once said, "f*ck business!"

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Very smart interview from Michelle O'Neill on Newsnight tonight dismantling all of the arguments against the Protocol that have been put forward by the Tories and DUP, tying Mark Urban up in knots in the process. It's a must see once it appears on YouTube.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I happened to see that interview by chance. He was a straight DUP/Tory spokesman, and every point he tried to make was completely demolished, and every time she tried to make a point he interrupted her, unsuccessfully, but she continued to make her points. In the end, he just gave up.

Dreadful interview technique from his point. His approach was to put words in her mouth and she was having none of it.

I am not a SF supporter in any way, but the DUP and the Tories are wholly wrong wrt the protocol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To be honest, if you spent the last 5 years blindly assuming that the DUP and the Tories were either lying, wrong or both then you'd be right almost 100% of the time. This is an open wound that needs to be closed but both parties have decided to reopen it cynically for short term political gain.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Here is an excerpt from the Michelle O'Neill interview on Twitter.

Post edited by 10000maniacs on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭54and56

If the UK Govt want to the principle of cross community consent to apply to the NIP they have to accept that cross community consent is also needed for NI to Brexit and no such cross community consent existed as was clearly demonstrated by the NI Brexit referendum result.

It's impossible for them to successfully argue that the NIP requires cross community consent (which in law it doesn't as has been proven in the High Court) but Brexit didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I'm amazed that thus position us not put to them on a regular basis, it should be a consistent argument put forward by all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I just went back and watched the full interview from last night. My God, yer man was like a dog with a bone with his insistence on cross-community consent. It's like he thought it was some sort of "GOTCHA" moment.

MON was very impressive. As you would expect from any politician on top of their brief with a clear message.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭timetogo1

If the UK wants to sell more cheese to Canada it (the UK) will have to ask the EU to reduce its quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Much like how they shipped out the (at the time not signed not completed) trade agreement announcement with Australia when Boris was struggling at the G7, the tories have once again shipped out a potential trade deal to try and distract from the boozy partygate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61604784

Slight problem.

it's not a trade deal its a MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) has no actual legal framework and of course could have been done even as an EU member

it's such a complete non story being pushed that you can actually with a quick google find another MOU done between educational bodies in the UK, USA and Ireland https://www.newsletter.co.uk/business/consumer/a-memorandum-of-understanding-has-been-signed-3707987

But quick they need a brexit win to distract from the fact their brexit king is a boozy w*nker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The above gets better

turns out Slovakia signed an MOU with Indiana five years ago https://www.insideindianabusiness.com/articles/indiana-seeking-to-enhance-partnership-with-slovakia

It's such an amazing non story that just searching MOU and a random EU country throws up loads of MOUs with member states and US states or organisation. Ireland has signed multiple with New York alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

BBC unquestioningly parroting fake news / government propaganda. Sad.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭eire4

But predictable these days. The BBC have become more and more propaganda outlet when it comes to their government rather then balanced news source

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Is this the first call from the Conservative MP for a return to the single market?

"And then there’s the unresolved issue of the Irish border. Current plans to bin the Northern Ireland Protocol could trigger a trade war with the EU (causing further economic harm) and is alienating the United States, our closest security ally.

As a recent YouGov poll indicates, this is not the Brexit most people imagined, with the majority believing Brexit has gone badly. There is appetite to make improvements – not U-turns but course corrections.

In a nutshell, all these challenges would disappear if we dare to advance our Brexit model by re-joining the EU single market (the Norway model). Leaving this aspect of the EU was not on the ballot paper, nor called for by either the Prime Minister or Nigel Farage during the 2016 referendum. There was, however, much discussion about returning to a “common market,” which is exactly what I propose."

A common sense solution that will help their economy and solve the NIP in one swoop. I do find it interesting that this is the first call for a return to the single market. There will be opposition to it from the usual suspects but as the country keeps suffering those voices should become more and more marginalised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"The Norway Model", oh ye gods. I mean, at this stage nothing would surprise me and in some ways this was always the end result: hard Brexit is a pox on the nation and something had to give that amounted to a return to the Single Market. Of course, good luck anyone suggesting this - and calling it the Single Market. Watch those proposing it tie themselves in knots calling it anything but the Single Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thats all well and good but EFTA would have to accept them and with the amount of **** they have pulled the last 6 years I doubt that's gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

correct me but at this stage this would take many many years and right now its not guaranteed efta would take them and i guess rather unlikely they would take them on. so i struggle to see an norwegian model after all the uk shenanigans.

Joining the customs union would make sense. Not sure about the SM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I doubt that MP even knows there are more aspects to the "Norway Model" than the single market. Christ I doubt they'd have even heard of EFTA given how stark the ignorance of European institutions was revealed to be.

Who has that Red Lines infographic from yore? There a similar setup the UK can aim for that'd only contain SM access? That's Turkey, ain't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't think it would be EFTA membership though. That would be too integrated to try and sell. They will sell it as common market access only. The fine print will read about following rules and regulations set by the EU but a savvy leader could sell the fact that they can leave at any time to try and soothe the baying mob.

He mentions in the piece they have cut way from the political union and single market membership is not a political union.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭yagan

It would be hilarious if Britain realigned with the single market via Northern Ireland. However wouldn't they still have to operate customs infrastructure as they're supposed to for GB goods entering NI but not for onward sale into the EU?

I can't actually see them effectively managing that when they've postponed their own checks on EU imports for the fourth time. Plus before Brexit the UK already had the majority of fines for distributing unverified imports into the single market. Their whole attitude towards EU trade standards was very only fools and horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So that would be a whole seperate negotiation and system then similar to what the Swiss have setup which the EU have vowed to never do again due to how complex and time consuming it was which they definitely will not get into with perfidious albion so in reality its EFTA or bust

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ask and ye shall receive (I thought it appropriate to use the UK parliament one):

And even Turkey is probably to much control as Truss can't ask for more cheese quotas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

It’s bizarre really.

Can’t possibly imagine the reason behind these “unusual gains”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

he speaks of a norwegian model so he wants efta and the ecj lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They will not get EFTA because the other EFTA could not tolerate them.

If they accept the SM, that has implications that the Brexiteers could not stomach, but there could be a landing zone there.

Accepting the CU would scupper all those beneficial Global Britain trade deals, if only they had a few to scuttle.

Of course, agreeing to both would remove the need to find those elusive 50,000 customs officers.

[Whatever happened to those 50,000 customs officers?]

Advertisement