Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

What vibes from government? Newspaper reports just the other day (and quoted above) saying we all save money WFH and it's better for the environment!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kenrach

Perfect thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wonder would they ever improve our holidays to that in Council?

We can dream I guess..

Wonder will Flexi stay same when goes back to 7 hours?

Lot of wondering today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Those who used work the 7 hours before tell me its easier building up flexi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If they bring us back anymore than 2 days a week flexi will have to be restored.

As I've said before I'd happily go back 2 days a week and keep the 7:24 working day.

It's a serious load of scutter briging people back 4 days a week. I just can't understand the motivation behind it and I think for both the public and private sectors this could become a voting issue for the next election.

• Advertisement

Right, lots of people asking "What's the story in X department?" and it's a couple of months on since I ran the survey. Time for another? Planned questions below. If there's anything else you'd like to see included, let me know.

Planned questions (don't answer these here, I'll be using Google Forms for the actual survey!)

• What department/body are you working in? (dropdown this time!)
    • What is your organisation's current working regime for most staff (not counting public offices, facilities, ICT staff)? (dropdown: 5 days WFH, 1 day in office/4 WFH, 2 days in office/3 WFH, 3 days in office/2 WFH, 4 days in office/1 WFH, 5 days in office)
    • What is your organisation's current working regime for staff in public offices/public counters, if applicable? (dropdown: Not applicable, 5 days WFH, 1 day in office/4 WFH, 2 days in office/3 WFH, 3 days in office/2 WFH, 4 days in office/1 WFH, 5 days in office)
    • Has your employer surveyed staff since March 31 about their preferences for blended working? (yes/no)
    • Has your employer published a Blended Working Policy since March 31, when DPER released it's framework? (yes/no)
    • If so, when does it come into effect?
    • And what will it allow? (dropdown: 5 days WFH, 1 day in office/4 WFH, 2 days in office/3 WFH, 3 days in office/2 WFH, 4 days in office/1 WFH, 5 days in office)
    • Does it just allow for a "fixed" arrangement, or is there more flexibility available (e.g., you could work 3 days in office/2 WFH normally but then vary that, if necessary)?
    • If they have not yet published a Policy, when have they indicated that one will be published?
    • Did local union reps/partnership committee have any involvement in agreeing a policy? (Yes/No/Don't know/We have a union slash partnership committee?!)
    • Prior to COVID, did you have flexi? (Yes/no)
    • If you had flexi pre-COVID, what is your current situation with regard to flexi? (I am working in the office 5 days/week and have flexi again; I am working in the office 5 days/week but flexi is still suspended; I am on blended working and have flexi; I am on blended working and don't have flexi; Didn't have flexi pre-COVID)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Much easier work up flexi when it was 7 hours per day .Actually think the day was something like 6.57 or 6.54.

The extra half hour per day added on under HRA was the same as it took to work up flexi per period.

When the hours are reduced to 7 per day ,then the flxi will be reduced to working up 10.30 period as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You're right it was 6. 54.

10.3 flexi is nicer than what we have now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Chaos Black

With less hours and the same amount of work, how will that work? I don’t have enough time in the week as is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

"the Government has chosen to ignore the remote working revolution brought about by the Covid pandemic and instead “simply looked to return to old and outmoded ways of thinking”.

Definitely the vibe in a few departments!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Correct. 6:57 for government departments. The increased minutes equated to roughly an extra 16 days worked.

As I've said I'd rather 3 days WFH than getting 27mins a day back. It's nonsense.Take a decent pay rise and 3 days WFH if possible.

I'd also be prepared to forgo being able to build up Flexi Leave for 3 days WFH in return.

I wasn't in the CS when it was the old time, but those that were say it was great and are looking forward to it reverting.

"I'd also be prepared to forgo being able to build up Flexi Leave for 3 days WFH in return."

I'd forgo flexi if i could work fully remote!

Sure the framework only states that staff shouldn't work remotely 100%, make your annual trip to the office and thats covered.

Believe me. I was in the CS for 10 year before the extra 27 mins a day was introduced. It's no issue when working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

These are separate issues.

The reversion of the 2013 Haddington Road hours has been advised by an independent group.

The unions have triggered a pay review clause in the Building Momentum agreement due to the current economic situation.

WFH has been a tremendous success in most departments and has resulted in a great increase in work/life balance for the vast majority of staff involved.

I don't know what you think is nonsense. The three are separate issues and three different decisions to make.

Flexi leave is another issue. As has been published two systems of flexi are going to be trialed - you'll be able to work it up from just the office or from office/home.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭skidmarkoner

I'm hoping the pay review increases my salary by atleast 5% otherwise I'll have to start choosing between food or fuel.#Civil service 2022

Wrong. When it comes to the negotiating table the 3 will be, and should be directly used as bargaining chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I'm in the PS, Dublin CC location. We've been told that it will be 2 days in the office and no flexi.(Although it appears, flexible start/finish times).

If staff want flexi they have to request it in writing and commit to 5 days in the office and return all IT equip issued over lockdown.

I can't see many people committing to this, although there could be a few

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

This is great stuff.

Perhaps another question is to ask whether line managers are implementing the 'official policy' on WFH. It seems like lots of organisations have publicly indicated an intention to do one thing, but in practical terms this isn't being implemented on the ground.

• Advertisement

Oh yeh. I have 7 lads that work to me.

My line is officially two days in. Unofficially I really don't care as long as the work is getting done and when they are needed in they come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭Sarn

In my case I had already reverted back to pre-Haddington road hours, taking a pay cut. Time is more valuable to me than pay. That means a pay rise for me come July!

Fortunately we are doing 3 days WFH as well. All I need is flexileave back and that would be perfect. Hopefully the flexileave pilots are rolled out everywhere. The lack of flexileave is a major complaint in our place. We are haemorrhaging staff as we can’t compete with pay and conditions in the private sector.

Yeah myself and my line manager work in different offices, we have calls daily. It's very clear neither of us are in the office that much! The work gets done and thats what matters at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

It'll be at least 5% upfront. Wait and see. Probably another 3 percent then over 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You be hoping that things will be more flexible for everyone.

Amount of applicants who turned down jobs here was very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jaffa20

The increases should be higher for the lower paid, but that won't happen and it will likely be an unnecessary % increase across the board.

As has been said, separate issues.

We can have a pay rise, WFH, flexi, and our 27 minutes back. Dream harder.

Good idea, will incorporate that one. It'll be tomorrow before I get it done, events overtook me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

We are definitely not going back full time in my place. Gonna be minimum two days a week...with one "anchor" day....works for me!

I have been doing for 5ish weeks commute is a pain but face to face meetings on issues have some benefits, I would still say far more productive at home though

Advertisement