Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Where is the peer review?

Rather dubious numbers... what were the deaths pre and post mask usage.

How could deaths have correlation but not hospitalisation.

How was mask compliance established.

Were more people wearing masks in response to waves ie how did masks cases and deaths lag.

The author has assessed demographics as comparable only looking at over 65s rather than over 80s yet we would expect deaths to be concentrated in that cohort.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

I greatly enjoy your rewriting of your posting history. Did you work for the Soviet Information Bureau in a previous life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Why not comment on the study yourself and ask these questions?

Does it ever occur to people that the reason it seems so hard to prove masks are effective might be because they're not very effective?

You said it was peer reviewed. Had a look at the site. Where is the peer review?

Do share your comments on the publication sites for multiple contrary studies showing benefits of wearing masks / mask mandates such as Bangladeshi trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

It says on the page its peer reviewed and mulitple news outlets reporting on the study says its peer reviewed. Again, direct your comments to the study authors.

Major flaws have been highlighted with the Bangladesh mask study if you'd care to look.

Again, if masks are so effective, why is it so difficult to find a definitive study that proves their effectiveness?

• Advertisement

Where are the peer review comments? It is your link and your claim. I am directing my comments to you / this thread as otherwise it is just a link dump hit and run.

I doubt anyone here had heard of this journal before so it seems reasonable to query how reputable it is / how thorough is its peer review process which has been questioned:

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Cureus-publications-Worth-it-or-just-a-waste-of-time

I am reminded about the line about a lie getting halfway round the world before the truth can catch up. What major flaws could emerge with this recently published study in a proper review?

Mortality is significantly different for over 65s versus over 80s yet in this data they have all been grouped together in assuming countries have equal numbers of highly vulnerable.

There are lots of studies (ie generating new data) and data analysis showing their effectiveness. Does a real world study trying to assess the benefit of masks as barriers considering all the variables seem easy to you? Perhaps you can outline the simple study that could be undertaken. If its not difficult?

The Bangladeshi study showed their effectiveness. I have seen comments on this thread about some of the figures in the study but nothing that undermines its core findings. Criticism switched without consistency or coherence from absolute to relative numbers.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Another night of mandatory RTE provided masks on The Late Late Show, people not allowed to use their own recognised safe mask and have to use ceremonial one provided by RTE, yes makes so much sense from a health point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

You should have a closer look at your sources, before peer reviewed claims.

But it's better than your last YouTube link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Testing of one of the BARDA-NIOSH Mask Innovation Challengers. Flo Mask.

Did you try to wear your own recognised safe mask? Doubt it.

The mask-wearing control was established through the RTE risk assessment process. We would all be wearing masks in many other settings had other places of work carried out risk assesments.

Is your issue with all the masks being surgical masks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The same risk assessment process that has the audience in the hospitality room before the show offering a glass of wine or bottle of beer with the audience "mingling" before being handed out a "safe" black mask to appear safe and uniform for the show. Meanwhile the host shakes hands, jumps around and jokes up close with all his guests.

It is virtue signaling at the highest level. RTÉ are the best at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It has degenerated into black comedy at this stage....mask wearers rambling through the bus...slamming the windows SHUT 😲

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Have you viewed the RTÉ risk assessment for the late late show? I didn't think you had.

Do the staff who run the show do the maskless "mingling" with the audience. No.

The audience are masked not to protect them but to protect the RTÉ staff who run the late late show.

But hey......

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should then be issuing the audience with FFP2 masks and not toy masks if there's such concern or allow audience members use their own superior masks.

Are staff in RTE walking around masked througout the RTE campus, if not why not if there's such a major concern?

Why are any of the guests not wearing the same masks as the audience, do they have some class of a forcefield around those presenting and those being interviewed that prevents them from catching Covid?

When Tubridy goes in to the audience for a chat and unmasks those he is talking to is Covid not a risk then?

I've seen Tubridy regularly shaking hands and hugging guests who have come from international destinations through airports. The rules seems to have been designed by a child with little or no sense to them from a health point of view when scrutinised or questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭apache

Masks are no longer mandatory in my job since yesterday. I wore one yesterday but I didn't wear one today. I'm not too bothered if I catch it. I get 10 days covid sick paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Masks have been gone in my workplace for a few weeks now, however they have kept the stickers, "social distancing" & canteen dividers... Haven't worn masks in what feels like an age though and it's great not to have to go through all that covid theatre.

Willing to take my chances with catching it, not wearing masks is one less bit of misery to have to deal with in my otherwise boring life, and as with Apache above, I also get sick pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,747 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Masks were never mandatory in my workplace (though I primarily WFH anyway and plan to keep doing so as I don't need to drive 90 minutes to be effective) beyond some half-hearted attempts to encourage people to wear them away from their desks (but like the whole nonsense of dining, perfectly fine to sit at their desk unmasked all day).

All social distancing in the office has been dropped weeks ago, and in other but related news this morning, I see in the Indo that the EU has decided the requirement to wear them on airplanes is going too next week so any requirements around airports abroad and generally will likely fade fast following that.

Another good day on the road back to normality but with a sting as we start to realise the cost of the hysteria of the last 2 years.

The news about the masks being dropped while flying made me happy, no more wasting money on bags of Hula-Hoops so I could avail of the "remove mask while eating" rule... now if we could only get the likes of the French to drop their 3 jab or negative test rules for entry, that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wouldn't get yourself too excited, that EASA & ECDC advice is still very vague.

It'll vary by airline depending on the carriers policy and depending on your destination the carrier could still be mandated by domestic legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Face masks are set to be no longer mandatory in airports and on flights in Europe, the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) have said.

The new recommendations will come into effect from 16 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Let's hope Spain drops their covid border nonsense now too

I know, that's why I have a backup "easy breathe" mask 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

"Wasting" money on Hula Hoops!?!?! Hula Hoops BBQ was created by Mohammed and Jesus themselves.

Eat a Hula-Hoop every 5 minutes to avail of the "remove your mask while eating" rule 😁

Irish times leads with the headline “I can’t understand why people take chances with their lives” on the masks becoming potentially non-mandatory. Gas. They always manage to vox pop the perennial terrified.

Some other quotes including someone thinking it was ‘scandalous’ an airline weren’t enforcing rules. Another person claiming they ‘resent’ others who don’t wear masks

Link here, other absurd opinions/demands: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/masks-on-planes-i-can-t-understand-why-people-take-chances-with-their-lives-1.4870320

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Not as absurd as last few posts here.

Anyway, most of the people in the article say, they keep wearing masks on flights for various reasons. Which is fine isn't it?

Don't suppose anyone else heard Kevin Byrne Retired Lieutenant Colonel and airport safety and security auditor said that maskless airplanes are safer than maskless airport terminals on Pat Kenny yesterday?

"The chance of catching it on the aircarft is much less than it would be in the terminal."

Crazy thing is some of the regular posters on here would defend that to the tilt.

Very surprised as Kenny has been firm enough about mask nonesese unlike other Newstalk Shock Jocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,747 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've no idea what you're trying to say here to be honest!

In any case, it's a step forward that they've dropped the requirement on planes and it'll likely mean that airports drop them next. Then the wider community where masks are still mandated.

About time too. Covid hasn't been a significant threat to the vast majority of people since the summer/autumn of 2020 when it became clear which demographics were actually at potentially significant risk. But, by then we'd already engaged in lockdowns and restrictions so the damage they caused was already underway.

• Advertisement

Well then why are you replying to me with a comment?

Still harping on about the summer of 2020 lockdowns and restrictions. What in the world has that got to do with Kevin Byrne a Retired Lieutenant Colonel and airport safety and security auditor having a spat on Pat Kenny about maskless airplanes being safer than airports?

Advertisement