Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

well done to everybody this morning!

regardless of the result - the work put in for these exams is a credit to any body's character!

i sat Equity the third time and passed with 52 today. I got 35 and 47 in my previous too and didn't move marks on recheck. Nonetheless, if people are in position to get rechecks, what's the harm (other than the funds ).

happy to share my script once i have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

Passed Company with 50% (completely shocked as I was sure I had failed) and 56% in EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Does anybody know if you have to ask the LS for a letter confirming you’ve passed all 8 exams in order to apply for the PPC???

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lawkp

I went up from 46 to 50 in contract before.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

has anyone gone up in company before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 shadow2000

what are the chances the next set will be online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FatherChewieLouis

33 in Company. Passed the other 7 all first time including a few mid-60s. Answered all 5 questions at length and not to any obviously lower standard than the other exams.

Completely shattered and demoralized, not only failed but failed by a mile and in a way that I cannot see how that could be made up given that I spent the whole exam typing and could answer all the questions asked.

What is the story with this examiner? I have heard bad stories about Company but obviously he is marking to a standard completely inconsistent with that of the other subjects which are hard enough as they are.

My nightmare of passing everything easily except for Company which I am then stuck on indefinitely while trying to work full time at a firm in the Real World has come true.

Tried to apply for a recheck but the Law Society's website doesn't work and both subjects I sat are marked 'Company Fe1', lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

Hey I was in a similar position last sitting, last exam, and was shocked to get 44 in Company. I got 63 in this sitting. I think you really get punished for things you don’t include or think to talk about more so than other exams where you might leave out something important but still get good marks for what you do include. You really need to refer to the examiner reports when preparing.

I used his book mostly for this sitting instead of relying on the manual. Not sure if you answered any of these, but for topics like S31, S38 and S158, the manual I had anyway, didn’t have enough to pass those questions.

I don’t have my script yet but happy to share if you want to exchange emails in DMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭FE1_2020_

Does anyone know what the next steps are in terms of requesting a letter of confirmation that verifies all FE1's successfully passed ? I know from reading previously over the last year or so some people were having significant difficulty in obtaining a letter of confirmation from the Law Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FE1student2021

Congratulations to everyone who received their results today!

Does anyone know what the contract and constitutional markers are like? I was convinced I passed these two but got 36 & 42. On the other hand, I thought I failed criminal and got 64%. It doesn’t make sense I’m so devastated. Is this worth a recheck? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Didn’t sit contract but sat constitutional and felt he was very fair! I had two very good questions, two ok questions and one pretty bad question and just about got a pass! I felt over the last few months I had just done enough but on the other hand, I wouldn’t have been shocked if I got 45-49 either. So he seemed fair in my opinion!

I’m wondering this too… if anyone has any thoughts/experience

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

That would be great, thanks very much, though given that score I'm not sure how I could ever expect to pass. I can't imagine how that score was calculated honestly. It's less than 7 points a question so given that I answered all 5 it's comfortably failing every question or getting a couple of zeros and barely scraping the others. I'll need some time to recover and prepare for spending all my free time memorizing exactly what he wants and vomiting it out.

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stressystressy

Hi everyone - well done to all who got good news today.

I failed tort (44%). I was fully convinced I'd passed and that it was my best paper and I am devastated. I passed my other ones which I found considerably more difficult. Does anyone have any experience getting a recheck for a Tort paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SamWFE1

I'm sorry to hear that. If there is one bit of advice I could give for company it is do out past exam questions. I typed out sample answers for loads of frequently occurring questions and I found that four of them came up this sitting. Got 70 this sitting which I was shocked at. The same types of questions come up often with company and the examiner details exactly what they're looking for in the reports. They're one of the best examiners for giving detailed reports. I'd say keep your head up and build on the knowledge that you already have for the next sitting. Good luck!

Thanks, I will be forced to do that, but just to note that this is a horrible, horrible way to mark exams. This is rote learning that is beyond antiquated. There is more than one way to approach any of these questions as they are stated.

But congratulations on your high score, really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SamWFE1

I couldn't agree more. Its just learning off an answer rather than understanding which is clearly not something that is desirable for someone pursuing a career in law. But hey, it your last one. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

I agree with this! You can definitely come up - I came up 19%. Last sitting I got 6/20 in two questions and I never scored that low before. He definitely is particularly harsh, but it’s your last one so you’ll be able to totally focus on it and kill it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OPSICI

Hey all,

does anyone know how long it takes to get scripts when you request them under GDPR?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

You may have already done this but if not, get your hands on Courtney's book, The Law of Companies. I learned off loads of quotes/extracts and stuck them in everywhere. I also took from Keane/Hutchinson and tired to add in other sources where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 StrugglingLawStudent

Have to agree with this. It definitely turns into a bit of a repetitive learning off exercise more than a showing of actual understanding in the area which is problematic in and of itself.

Have left criminal and EU until my last sitting and need to pass them to start traineeship. Have passed other 6 first time round (3 and 3) so just wondering when people plan on starting studying (trying to go travelling stress free 😂)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fe1user2022

This is the exact scenario I have found myself in. Passed all 7 first time and failed company by a long shot. My worry is I was happy enough with my paper and wouldn’t know how to tackle the exam in October differently 😫

It literally wrote out exam answers from for every single exam answer with examiner report for company and learned them off for the likely chapters. Answered 4 Qs well and 1 ok ish because i was running low on time.Got 58 in the end. It's a stupid way to learn and nearly cost me in another exam where i only got the 50! I wouldnt bother with tutorial groups or anything, get Courtneys book and reports and fingers crossed that youll get over the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

That’s a really nice two to finish with. EU is the most predictable of the FE1s and can be tackled in 3-4 weeks (all dependent on how much time you have to give to study, of course). Criminal is less predictable but he is a very fair marker and the material is interesting so it’s one of the nicer ones to study. You could probably cover both in 2 months if studying full time. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 CO.LAW20

Any idea on when the October timetable will be out?

Advertisement