Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Alcohol pricing to be signed into Law

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Not really, if the stated goal of MUP measures is to address health outcomes for a relatively small number of problem drinkers, and accessibility for underage drinkers.

Overall alcohol consumption or indeed drunkness might be related, but addressing them aren't the stated goals of the MUP - in Ireland at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Once again this idea that its directed at problem drinkers makes no sense as those with addictions don't care about the price it costs to fund them, its their families who will be affected by MUP not the addicts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Exactly, the two groupd least affected by MUP are the problem drinkers who will do whatever it takes for their next fix and underage drinkers who can't get past the ID requirements in large chains.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Whether you agree it will work or not, when MUP came in those were the two stated goals, so strictly speaking they're the metric by which its success or failure should be measured.

Although if the health outcomes for the problem drinkers concerned go the wrong way i.e mortality goes up ... I don't seriously expect anyone involved to actually acknowledge that MUP isn't working, there will be an explanation proffered that something else is to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

In a press release last month, AAI said "the effects on health are estimated to be substantial, with annual alcohol-attributable deaths estimated to reduce by approximately 197 per year after 20 years, by which time the full effects of the measure will be seen."

So let's run it for 20 years and then check back how we're getting on, yeah? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭wassie

Australia keeps getting mentioned about MUP in operation in regions. In essence its only the Northern Territory, which with a population of ~250,000 has less than 1% of the Australian Population so not even representative of anything other than local conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Annoyingly, the half and quarter bottles of wine are way above MUP in most supermarkets (except LIDL,ALDI but small selection) and no sign of them coming down.

Handy to have if you don't think you'll get through whole bottle - especially with their price going up.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭ablelocks

our local off licence is selling a slab of heineken for the grand sum of €59.99 - ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Ffs absolute bargain. cheap alcohol. Should be around 200e. Piss heads will be flocking into the place. I'd hate to be on the streets of your home town.

Might be better off staying in off the streets.

Wont someone please think of the little chislers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That to me sounds pretty much like admitting it doesn't work, but without admitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd say stocking is more likely than selling at that price 🙂

Leave it to them and go to your local supermarket or if you can head up North.

And don't forget the local off licences representative body NOFFLA lobbied for the introduction of MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

Heading up north this weekend for a top up.

Haven't bought any booze in ROI and don't plan on it either.

FFS is spot on. Talk now of 'meal deals' in supermarkets and convenience stores being made illegal.

Where does it stop for the well behaved majority from suffering the lowest common denominator in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I would never set foot in there again, and let them and others know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Absolutely.

The MUP for a 24 can case of 4.3% Heineken is €40.80.

That gives them a very good profit margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Met a random fella from the North in an Aldi in Donegal yesterday. He was browsing the off licence and taking photos with an incredulous expression on his face. 'Jesus you'd need a mortgage to buy drink in here!' he says. 😅😭

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I saw those articles on Monday about wanting to make meal deals illegal. And of course its the same public health doctor behind this latest plan as was pushing MUP on us. He is clearly a zealot who wants to nanny state everything in this country

Havent bought any since it came in either as I went back to homebrewing, its costing me just 50 or 60 cents a pint now so its a fair saving over paying over 2 euro a can. I guess with Stormont seized up we wont be seeing MUP introducted in the north any time soon so you should get another couple of years out of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

So, im not trying to start an argument or anything, just looking for some clarity!!

I was in Tesco yesterday doing the shopping and went to the off licence like i always do. They had aload of wines reduced for clubcard users (i got the Graham Norton red, €15 but only €11 with clubcard).

It was my understanding that last November all those card offers and loyalty 'subscriptions' couldn't be used.

It doesn't breach MUP cause the price is well above it, but why cant they do this for spirits or beers?

They can do a Clubcard \ member discount because you can sign up for Clubcard without having to buy anything. O'Briens were doing something similar for a while.

What they can't do is only give you the discount because you have spent X or are spending Y at the same time.

The discount must be available to all Clubcard users in that store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I noticed the same. Bought a bottle of 120 for €8 and a few days later it was €12 but €8 with a club card. Wasn't happy myself as I don't do rewards cards or apps but if Odyssey06 is correct then it seems like a very cute way to bend the rules. You can't get points on your card buying alcohol but if you posess a card you get a discount? Since around 2020 alcohol has been excluded from Dunnes' €50 voucher offer, SuperValu gift cards can't be used to buy alcohol and O'Briens closed their reward card scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I noticed the same. Bought a bottle of 120 for €8 and a few days later it was €12 but €8 with a club card. Wasn't happy myself as I don't do rewards cards or apps but if Odyssey06 is correct then it seems like a very cute way to bend the rules. You can't get points on your card buying alcohol but if you posess a card you get a discount? Since around 2020 alcohol has been excluded from Dunnes' €50 voucher offer, SuperValu gift cards can't be used to buy alcohol and O'Briens closed their reward card scheme

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any form of loyalty / reward system that is linked to purchasing is banned. Vouchers given with no restrictions are still ok - once MUP isn't breached by the reduced price. Two different bits of legislation

That the non-clubcard price was raised shows how much of a wheeze that entire thing is! "Discounts" are actually just the proper price.

Not quite on topic, I really didn't know where else to ask and we have touched upon Spend and Save being discontinued...

But, for say Heineken Zero, would that still qualify for Spend and Save?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yes, it does. I regularly buy NA beer in Dunnes using spend & save vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,228 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bought some Nanny State the other week in Tesco and "Challenge 25" came up on the self-service checkout... 🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Article in the Irish Times reporting on the effect of sales on retailers around the border.

MUP clearly having an effect. Interestingly it seems MUP has generally been beneficial for the convenience retailers vs the supermarket in ROI. But supermarkets around the border have taken a serious hit.

Yer man from Jonesborough (pictured) is doing a roaring trade on the back of MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yup, emails and flyers, plenty offering delivery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

I read the article and it come across very much in favour of MUP, saying theres no discernible difference in spending habits, just that bank holidays are levelling off, supermarkets vs off licences. Also the only link at the end of the article is for Alcohol Action Ireland!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Often hear of people being refused non alcohol classed beer outside of hours in Tesco, too, with people assuming it's the law when is seems to me it's just Tesco categorising them incorrectly, for some reason.

Perhaps they don't want underage kids to be seen to be buying what looks like beer? Does anyone know, is there any legal reason why under 18s can't buy n/a beer? It's not something I have heard discussed?

Edit : found it.

Currently legal to sell to minors but advertising restrictions are the same as for alcohol beers.

Tesco and other's choose to not sell to minors. In Tesco, a consequence of this is that you can't buy n/a beer outside of hours because computer says "no"!

Advertisement