Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Alcohol pricing to be signed into Law

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

😁 I'm all in!

The supermarket would be obliged to exclude the alcohol element from any discount, in the same way as they all had to reprogram their loyalty systems. A flat €15 discount/rebate off the bill is fine, but in that case the total bill has to be at least the total MUP-compliant drink cost, plus €15 or more of shopping, newspapers etc. If the total amount paid ends up less than the MUP for the drink, the shop is breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭elperello

^^^^

Thanks to Beer Nut for helping me out with this.

This above appears to be the work around that is legal.

If you do all your shopping in a locally owned supermarket you say to the boss that you want a share of his windfall extra profit due to MUP.

You buy your weekly shop plus your cans and bottle of wine which are charged on your receipt at the full MUP price.

The shop then gives you a "loyalty discount" amounting to the difference between the pre and post MUP price of your drinks.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well its not really legal if the same deal isnt offered to those who just buy groceries just it flies under the radar of how is it detected as it is on the QT.

Not because of MUP but due to last years loyalty changes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Allinall

An awful lot of Walter Mitty types knocking around here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yep, once the amount spent on drink becomes a factor in how much the discount is, it's illegal. The discount can't be calculated based on the difference between pre and post MUP. Back to the drawing board, elperello.

• Advertisement

If that's aimed at me I accept.

In this instance I let heart rule head.

Thanks but no return to the drawing board for me.

Put my poor attempt down to poor judgement, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the worthless trolling cnut who made that "point" has since vanished, unable to answer multiple obvious challenges to his ridiculous views. A troll at best, or some idiot who realised their nonsense and so fcuked off to try and save face (but failed). At least I found the outlandish & misguided snobbery humorous, a thoroughbred cnut.

I spotted potential workarounds years back, I am pretty sure you can still get a bottle of spirits with a few free glasses in a boxset. So instead of those glasses it could be a bottle of coke, or a steak, or a mop..., but I am pretty sure it only counts if those are not already on sale in the shop. i.e. meal deal offers of the past are not allowed, the "free" thing you offer cannot be on sale separately in the shop. This should mean it just needs a new/different or lack of barcode to differentiate it, if it was say a 2L of coke, or something not readily on sale in the shop already, just like most glasses included in box sets.

I think smaller offies will be more open to exploiting the laws, and not giving a damn against going against "the spirit" of the law. However I do not believe the "credit not" guy was simply going against the "spirit of the law", as the "similar benefit" should cover his scam.

"(a) the award, whether directly or indirectly, of bonus points, loyalty card points, or any similar benefit, to any person arising from the purchase by that person, or by any other person, of any alcohol product,"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I've a friend driving to Scotland in two weeks, he's asked for a loan of my car seeing as it's a big engined automatic barge. One condition is he fills it with cans on his way back through the north, myself and the brother in law have gone halfsies on whatever it can carry back from the north on his way home. Absolutely delighted! Hope to God nobody is spending money in this country on cans right now. Every little helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I guess a lot of possible workarounds that were thought of before last year mightn't work any longer with the promotion laws and clubcard points etc. that were introduced.

I don't think any off-licence would be willing to exploit it just yet, as they were all for it to prevent the supermarkets from undercutting them and taking some of their business. That might change if people noticably start bringing it back from abroad or going up North.

Now if we can get the butchers to lobby against cheap processed meats, and maybe make sure meat can't be sold for less than €10 per kg.

Bakers against white bread, veg farmers against jarred/packaged sauces, Dairy farmers against margarine, home made producers against packaged soups, frozen foods, insta-meals, pizza etc.. The amount of bad crap in the supermarket that is no doubt contributing to health issues but ignored. When do we get a MUP for them? Do we need lobbyists?

Big cars that are likely to do more damage than lets say, a micra if they hit a wall or mount a path accidentally.

Wasn't there some bullsh*t around 2019 with a load of trees being cut down along the east coast (unrelated to bus), and when asked why, the reply was in case they fell on people or some similar nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I doubt there’ll be many “work arounds’ tbh, at first there’s always a few like the shop in Cork but that’ll pass, I can see a lot more definitely illegal suppliers popping up, like the cigarette ads etc.

its a slap for those who behave responsibly but that’s how it usually pays out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I would guess that it's possible to have many workarounds, without thinking too hard about how to go about it. It's more of a matter about whether or not the retailer wants to risk a rap on the knuckles.

That aside, I don't believe mup will work, I'm not convinved it's here to stay. Maybe by then they will have decided to introduce another tax. Time will tell. Obviously Northern Ireland joining it will make a big difference.

Post edited by Suckit on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭HBC08

I don't blame you,I'll be buying my first ever cans in the North when I'm on my yearly trip there in Feb, going to fill the car.

However this will not show up in any statistics except to show that MUP is working as alcohol sales decline rapidly in the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Firbolg

Considering the week that's in it, it takes a very special kind of stupid to throw around the 'c' word like this. Don't be a twat - attack the post, not the poster.

For the record, I'm totally opposed to MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Surely they have a more reliable indicator of alcohol issues other than basing it on sales alone???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭HBC08

AAI will be pedalling the stat that alcohol sales have reduced by x% next year and the following years.There will be nobody to challenge them on the obvious, that has been their MO throughout all of this.Their arguments have been dishonest and full of holes since the beginning and they have been assisted and accommodated by RTE and other news outlets.

The stats on the inevitable reduced sales of alcohol in the coming years is an open goal for them.The fact that consumption will stay the same or reduce in line with what it has been doing for the last 20 years is of no interest to them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I would hope the MUP's efficacy will be measured by changes in health outcomes and mortality for the problem drinkers who are the target. Society-wide changes, whether good or bad, wouldn't seem that relevant, considering the MUP is supposed to be this targeted measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Alcohol sales/consumption go up this year - this is a clear sign that a higher MUP is needed.

Alcohol sales/consumption go down this year - this is a clear sign that MUP has worked, and because we are on the correct path we shouldn't hesitate to bring in a higher MUP.

There's no winning this one, whatever the figures ultimately say.

• Advertisement

On reading the HSE is directly involved in the implementation I'd imagine there would be a much more scientific approach taken.

But then again, this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭FlicFlak

I was in Tesco at the weekend and i noticed my glorious and delicious Hobgoblin has gone up to €3, was always only €2.09. I know MUP has affected it because of the ABV but the "problem or MUP target market" never drank Hobgoblin in their lives!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Absolutely, I said what I hoped, but we'll make the facts fit the political requirements, I expect, whatever they are.

I wonder is the best chance of a reversal on the MUP a future Sinn Fein government, in power north and south, who decide that it is penalising lower income families disproportionately and roll it back on that basis, perhaps promising some alternative supports and measures aimed at problem drinkers. I suppose the rough sleepers among them should get new abodes anyway, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Aldi's Einseidler Helles gone up from €1.79 to €2.01, which isn't too bad but still...dissapointed in Aldi. Surely those of German disposition understand the importance of reasonably priced well produced beer for sustenance. tut tut.

If you're ever in the north you can get 500ml cans of Hobgoblin for £1 each...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭RayCon

... and the sad thing about that is Hobgoblin is 4.5% , so @ MUP pricing that equals €1.78 so it could have remained at the price it was and still be compliant - but of course it doesn't want to be associated with the generic branded stuff so it's gets a "premium" price hike. Load of balls.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Einseidler Helles 50cl, with an ABV of 5.2%, has an MUP of €2.05 so I'm not sure why you're disappointed in Aldi...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Ah right! wouldn't have even clocked that it would be over 2 euro.

twat="the dreaded c word", so right back at you, or were you ignorant about that?! maybe you are being sarcastic. Or maybe you think phonetics give you are free pass or some nonsense, esp. as we are all reading this...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Tesco is the only supermarket that I'm aware of that's hiked some beers beyond what MUP requires? I'm guessing it's so they can drop the prices back down again in a few weeks and claim they're on 'offer'.

• Advertisement

Advertisement