Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

So my stolen bike from 2013, which I spotted 2018 for sale and reported to the gardai without success, has reappeared again. Going to the garda station later with details. Not sure how this will pan out - It' changed hands at least twice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

reappeared on adverts/donedeal?

donedeal this time. Was on adverts previously.

so update on this, reported the advert to the garda station, closest to where the bike was most recently advertised for sale - its quite a bit away from where I live and where the bike was originally stolen.

They referred me back to the original garda station that I made the report at when it was originally stolen and again when it appeared for sale in 2018. I went to my local garda station last night to report again that it was for sale on line - told I need to speak to the original garda who took my report when it was originally stolen. I've managed to get an email for the guard and emailed him in pictures / proof of ownership. I'll see where it goes from here.

Post edited by Pinch Flat on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,357 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What happens if that Garda has transferred to the Fraud unit or the Airport unit or something totally different in the four years? Seems like a bit of a run around.

• Advertisement

The guard I reported it to in 2013 and again in 2018 is still working in my local station. But yeah is frustrating and I've no idea what happens if he had of moved on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Looks like there were two e-bikes stolen from Drury street car park in the last day or two:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I recovered a few bikes that were stolen in Clontarf last night. Thanks to 360 Cycles keeping a record of who the serial numbers are registered to, I've been able to return some of them already.

I've still got a steel frame road bike though. So if anyone has one missing, or have heard about it, let me know.

needs more info! how did you recover them?

Some lads arrived on the street outside my house. Looked dodgy, two with faces obscured. They proceeded to lock the bikes, and split up, going though my own, and my neighbours gardens and sheds. Gardai arrived, and go on the hunt for them.

In the mean time, I pick the lock on their bikes and store them in my shed. Contacted the local bike shop in the morning, with a serial number, and they have contact details for the owner. He phones me, and comes to collect the two bikes that had been stolen from his own shed, 500m from my house, about a half hour before the lads had arrived outside my house.

Lads came back this afternoon, looking for the bikes. Gardai find them a short distance away, just catch and release. But said they are well known to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Brilliant - well done!

Found the owner of the bike. Going to drop it back to him this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,357 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Two kids bikes, white one is btwin, in Sweetmount, Dundrum. Let me know if you need the exact location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Hey guys, unfortunately second time I've had to post on this thread, previous time a road bike of mine was stolen in Ashtown, this time its my mountain bike. It is a Trek 4300 and its a good few years old but still looked pretty well. Stolen outside in Blancherstown SC by Mr Price. I'd it locked and was gone for 10 minutes but they'd the lock cut when I got back.

Has a bit of sentimental value to me cause I bought it as a present for myself when I started working. If anyone in the area notices something like it please give me a shout.

Thanks

SM

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

My bike was stolen today on Dorset Street between approx 1.15pm and 1.35pm when I was at an appointment. It is a white Free Spirit bike with a secure basket. No serial number unfortunately. It was locked (and double check locked given the area!). Not of particularly high value but would like it back all the same! If anyone happens to come across it on the websites/ roads of Dublin, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

The bike attached was left on our street today and has been brought to Irishtown garda station if the owner is looking for it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Silly me didn't have a cable on front wheel when I went into IKEA today, some score still my front , now near impossible to replace campag vento wheel plus brand new tyre.

Lesson learned. Must carry cable and 2 locks as we can't have nice things. If it was properly locked they'd have probably smashed it up

balls; you mighthave thought there'd be enough foot traffic through there to deter thieves. we've locked the bikes outside decathlon a couple of times, but at least the bike rack is right beside the main door there.

I was actually a bit apprehensive as I've always felt the bike stands were too far from the doors and foot traffic. Should've taken wheel with me .

Went to Garda station where I waited and then gave up as there was noone bothering to even show a face.

Went back and gave details. At least if I see it up for sale I have that. It had a very uncommon tyre on it too.

Post edited by Weepsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Jesus that is desperate.

Wonder if they knew what the wheel was or if they would have robbed a bog standard.

Either way.....cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's awful. Itmay have been taken as a prank/mischief/boredom thing and will be thrown away when the individual or group becomes bored or find something else to wreck for entertainment. Some low life's get off on things like that.

Ah yeah, just opportunism. The IKEA car park gets targeted anyway. Vans broken into for tools and such.

I've got spare wheels, but typically it's the bike I was a bit choosy with for everything to match

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

Hey All.

My kids bike was stolen from a school in Killester last Wednesday.

The police are currently looking through footage but if anyone sees it in the meantimes I would love to get my hands on the bike ;)

it was only 2 weeks old and is a 26 Inch Black and purple Verve Trailblaster from Smyths.

All help welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Fair play to them because I know another prominent local bike store wasnt able to give me the serial number for a bike I had bought from them three weeks previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Thats really cheap to rob a kids bike from a school....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 styx2010

Hi all

Coyote connect folding bike stolen from Princes St North beside GPO sometime between 1453 (photo) and about 1610 on Tuesday 4th October 2022.

Reported to Gardai on scene about 1620 & have frame number if seen anywhere (or recovered).

This model can be electric but I bought it a year ago on Adverts & been using it since as 6-speed pedal bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

what scumbag would do that. steal a bike that is clearly used to transport kids

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What scumbag would pedal off on 2 grand left unattended in Stephens Green/Grafton St? All of them? I feel sorry for the guy but come on, town is a lost cause since Covid, you cant be leaving Ebikes lying around like that. I had an ancient Raleigh Amazon I bought for €20 on Adverts years ago for leaving locked in Dublin and even that got nicked, we dont really have a police force in this country anymore or one that gives a sh1t anyway and the scum know it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's not like he left it unlocked,

Your mention of a cheap bike simply isn't the answer, there's no point in having a ebike or cargobike if you don't use it, its money down the drain.

Post edited by Cabaal on

Advertisement