Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭bronkobilly

Mine was better, meeting the guy selling it on adverts and taking it from him. The look of fear in his face was priceless

who meets someone in the middle of a street selling a bike if u cant go to there house there s bells ringing straight away was selling my bike a month a go man came to see it and said that s my bike it was stolen on me wen i pulled out the receipt and showed to him with the shop name on it and frame numbers he just looked at me and walked out the door any one can say its there bike there.s not one of them bikes made there are hundreds even thousands of the same bike around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

who meets someone in the middle of a street selling a bike if u cant go to there house there s bells ringing straight away was selling my bike a month a go man came to see it and said that s my bike it was stolen on me wen i pulled out the receipt and showed to him with the shop name on it and frame numbers he just looked at me and walked out the door any one can say its there bike there.s not one of them bikes made there are hundreds even thousands of the same bike around

This bike was unique, the 'chap' i took it back from was an absolute scrote. I can cut an intimidating figure when I want. (Hey he doesnt know my MMA record reads 0-2)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Saw that this morning seems there's two camps fair play to him and now another guy is experiencing what the original owner felt.

The buyer may not have stolen the bike, but usually has a fair idea that everything isn’t legit. They’re usually priced suspiciously cheap and sold in a public place. it’s fairly obvious that the scrote in question wants to offload it quick and doesn’t want you to know where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Years ago a mate of mine in London spotted a bike that was unlocked, and just took it. A few months later he came back to where he had it locked that day to find two guys standing over it. They asked him if it was his bike to which he replied yeah, and then one of the lads told him it wasn't, and when and where it had been stolen from. When he asked them if they wanted it back he almost got a punch! He felt like such an asshole, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

TychoCaine wrote: »
    The buyer may not have stolen the bike, but usually has a fair idea that everything isn’t legit. They’re usually priced suspiciously cheap and sold in a public place. it’s fairly obvious that the scrote in question wants to offload it quick and doesn’t want you to know where they live.

That would be an assumption, it could equally be a pile of ****e that he bought third hand from someone he worked with that bought it from the thief. I have bought/sold plenty of bikes/frames some off of folks on here and a public meeting wouldn't be uncommon.

• Advertisement

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDPLNCJp7u1/?igshid=4es61i92elqp

Coach Kav with a novel solution. Two bikes taken from outside SBG

And it worked, bikes returned within 90minutes.

The post is gone now, John Kavanagh, Head coach in SBG gym posted up a pic of two lads stealing bikes from outside the gym. They were given 24hrs to return the bikes or the cctv (HD quality) would be given to the guards. He also offered 3 months membership to both lads as a positive outlet rather than what they are doing at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Now they can be trained to be fighting scrotes and therefore better bike thieves

Weepsie wrote: »
    Now they can be trained to be fighting scrotes and therefore better bike thieves

That's a very short sighted way of looking at it. Training martial arts is an amazing outlet, especially for dragged up young teens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Great video,

Great to see the people with Irish accents being such bike collectors.:rolleyes: from 2:47 on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

A fine n+1 fleet there alright :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Lots of e bikes in their collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

All left to rot in the rain aswell, hope they called the cops down on that place afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

My son's bike got stolen from outside FlyeFit in Tallaght between 1-2pm Fri 24th July.

Please keep your eyes peeled as it's fairly distinctive. Also grateful if you'd share on any forums/groups help make it too hot to handle.

Make: Haro

Model: X6 DH (Downhill)

Colour: Silver/Grey frame with

Stand out because of Red Top Stem and headset, Gold wheel hub, and Brown leather seat.

This old for sale advert has the full details.

https://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/custom-haro-x6-dh-full-suspension-bike/14215359?touch_off

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

British Eagle Trail Breaker dumped.

https://m.fixmystreet.ie/report/48380

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Looks sketchy link removed

mod note - if you think a ad may show a stolen bike, do not post it here. you could be guilty of libel.

Ballymun Garda station recovered a few bikes from a house in the area past few days. Mostly mountain bikes, and one decent Specialized road bike. If in the surrounding area and had something nicked lately, might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

Vitus Razor VR 2018 stolen from shed in Balbriggan last night - black with fluorescent trim. Has dark brown Brooks B17 narrow saddle, cateye rear light and hope vision 2 front light, wheels are open pro rims with 105 hubs. Gardai have been notified.

Vitus Razor VR 2018 stolen from shed in Balbriggan last night - black with fluorescent trim. Has dark brown Brooks B17 narrow saddle, cateye rear light and hope vision 2 front light, wheels are open pro rims with 105 hubs. Gardai have been notified.

Scratch that - found it stashed in a hedge up the road this evening. Also found someone's brand new mountain bike (girls, silver frame) and a set of disc-brake wheels. According to Gardai, a lot of sheds broken into last night. The new mountain bike and set of wheels are up in Balbriggan station if anyone finds theirs missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Lucky!

A similar thing happened when our bikes were stolen. They obviously didn't have room for my wife's bike or couldn't cycle it, so stashed it in a bush nearby to come back to and it was found.

• Advertisement

Scratch that - found it stashed in a hedge up the road this evening. Also found someone's brand new mountain bike (girls, silver frame) and a set of disc-brake wheels. According to Gardai, a lot of sheds broken into last night. The new mountain bike and set of wheels are up in Balbriggan station if anyone finds theirs missing.

Further update - suspect returned last night to retrieve the stolen bikes and was recorded on video entering several properties and attempting to open car doors. Their car reg details, insurance details (including their name) and tax details were all obtained and passed to Gardai.

Someone I know had their Focus ebike stolen from outside donnybrook stadium the other day. No pics to hand, but on the off chance ye see one at a good good to be true price and also missing it's battery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Caquas

Rechuchote wrote: »
    That poor kid who was buried on Friday was stabbed after going to a house and reclaiming his stolen bike:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4105617/knife-used-stab-azzam-raguragui-found/
    The truth was carefully veiled before the jury, who decided not to convict the killer of murder.
    It was alleged that someone in the accused’s group had stolen a bike and some of the accused’s friends said that Azzam threatened one of them.

The killer's pal admitted to the Gardai that he had carried a knife to the fight for the killer but swore blind in the witness box that he lied to the cops.
    So the killer stole the victim's bike and the victim stood up for himself, but the thief/killer was acting in "self defence".

The killer is awaiting sentence but he will be a free man in his mid-20s with his whole life ahead of him and a big reputation.

The grieving mother will never come to terms with this parody of justice.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/teenager-who-stabbed-18-year-old-in-a-dublin-park-found-guilty-of-manslaughter-1.4358475

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

It’s the buzz he gets from reuniting the cyclists of Cambridge with their stolen bikes that has turned Omar Terywall into a self-proclaimed “vigilante”. He said: “You get really hooked on it when you start seeing major progress – and, well, it’s just nice helping people really, isn’t it?”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/sep/19/vigilantes-on-a-mission-to-reunite-owners-with-their-stolen-bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I am NOT victim blaming but when the police are so useless at preventing bike theft can employers not dedicate 20m^2 for a secure bike lockup? Im very fortunate in that my workplace has very secure parking but if a workplace is big enough (A hospital in Birmingham in this case) then it should be able to provide a fob access room with a camera on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ED E wrote: »
    I am NOT victim blaming but when the police are so useless at preventing bike theft can employers not dedicate 20m^2 for a secure bike lockup? Im very fortunate in that my workplace has very secure parking but if a workplace is big enough (A hospital in Birmingham in this case) then it should be able to provide a fob access room with a camera on the door.

sorry I just deleted my post after copping on it was in the UK, so people might wonder what your post is about.

You can see they had to make 4 cuts to rob it. These were decent locks, they had to do 2 cuts at the base as it must have had an anti rotation design meaning the ulock had to have 2 cuts
    https://twitter.com/a_ewer/status/1307576125162487810

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Stolen from Skerries.
    Very distinctive Felt.
    Any information to Gardai at Skerries or Garda confidential line 1800666111

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

will be hard to shift that one without taking it out of the jurisdiction, i'd say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'd say it'll be broken down and sold in parts. If they know what they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

eeeee wrote: »
    I'd say it'll be broken down and sold in parts. If they know what they have.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

Advertisement