Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantum leap revival/reboot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I keep thinking of the revival as a series when in fact it hasn’t got through the pilot stage yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Somebody must be fairly confident of it getting the green light, the original series is repeating on at least three stations over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just watching an episode now and noticed the setup from the previous episode didn't match the opening for this episode. Was this always the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Imagine he leaps into Sam to get Sam to not chicken out of his first leap. Would be great but really sad as we know he would be sending Sam to get forever lost in time.

• Advertisement

I just mean the scene changed a bit. Was longer with different dialogue and saying "Oh boy" in a different position.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

It has been a long time since I’ve seen the show your post is juggling at something in my brain - I do think there were several times where the the prologue was longer to the previous epilogue.

Yeah, just figured they would take the prologue from the next episode and stick it on at the end of the previous episode. Though I suppose the epilogue would usually be really short but need the longer prologue.

I know this thread is about the remake, but randomly watching on Sky now. The Leap Home and didn't realise before that Scott plays Sam's dad even though it's obvious.

Saw this on Reddit, thought it might be appreciated here too. Spoiler only says when and where scene is supposed to be.

It's an earthquake scene, San Francisco, 1989.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ordered to Series at NBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I enjoyed the show back in the day and I wouldn't recommend remaking it. I think these things should be left alone.

But if you didn't get how WOKE the original series was, then I'd suggest going back and watching a few episodes. Loads of civil rights topics which were 20 years old, but still relevant to the late 80s and early 90s.

The topics I remember off te top of my head include: race, gender, poverty, intellectual and physical disabilities, anti war. Those are still topical discussions today.

If those aren't the kinds of topics they base episodes around, what do you think they'll be based on?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

If those are woke issues then I don’t think know I know what woke means?

Aren't they WOKE topics? I would have said they are. I don't use the term WOKE unless I'm discussing the topic, like we are here, so I'm not an expert.

The point I'm making is that those were hot button, social issues back when the original series was made. And it dealt with them in a very progressive way back then. I'd expect them to do more or less the same thing with the reboot, using today's hot button social issues and deal with them in a progressive way too.

What do you think they'll do?

But those were/are real problems.

Isn’t woke a term for idiots jumping on social justice bandwagons about made up problems?

However, I do see your point how this reboot could be very woke.

Beckett was empathetic and unprejudiced about everything and everyone. He never held a racist view that he learned to overcome, etc. Add to that that he was an expert at everything from medicine to firearms to sports, etc. and he is the ultimate Mary Sue.

The new Leaper will probably be the same as filmmakers are afraid to have hero characters be even slightly intolerant.

I'd say the things you're considering genuine problems were seen as 'idiots jumping on social justice bandwagons about made up problems' back before they were pushed to be seen and addressed as real problems. Civil rights for blacks in America was only an issue for pickos, commies, gays and subversives. Now we see it as a real issue. Similar with civil rights for nationalists in NI.

Not every issue transitions from WOKE, SJW issue to being considered a genuine issue, of course.

I'd be shocked if the QL reboot doesn't deal with things like, the environmen, trans, racial and wealth inequalities. A d I'd be even more surprised they don't deal with them in a progressive light.

Can you see a situation where he leaps into a transgender scenario and leaves with the impression that transitioning gender is mental illness, only done for personal gain or symptom of a bad egg?

This is the problem with reboots. The audience gets old and crotchety. If the show stays true to its roots it'll annoy the people who liked the original because they were young and hopeful, are now old and salty. They don't want to know about new issues and assume new issues are not genuine concerns.

That's why I wouldn't advise a reboot. It was a great show. Leave it alone, would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

If it is that event in the spoiler. There is a very good ESPN 30 for 30 about that day.

I’m old and crotchety about a lot of things but not Quantum Leap.

It is a great concept, was very entertaining and I’m glad the new series is a sequel but I’m not precious about it. Not a reboot by the way.

New and old problems in society being dealt with is fine with me. Actual problems - not made up stuff.

You seem to be confused about I said about Beckett being too empathetic and unprejudiced. I was saying that rather than being so open-minded about everything that it would have been more interesting, for example, he was shown to be a little homophobic when he first leaps into the live of a homosexual person but by the time he leaves he is more understanding*. Why in the world you think that spending time as a trans gender person would result in the the main character thinking less of those people is beyond me?

* Al was the much better character in the original show. He had prejudices and failings and was far more believable a person.

Hopefully the show will use a lot of real world eventually like this.

And hopefully the new guy leaps into people outside America.

Yeah, I think there's no way the show will do anything except take the progressive angle on modern hot button issues, such as transgender. I think that will annoy lots of older people who think it's not a real issue.

Whether you think its a real issue or a name up issue is up to you. But it's certainly a contemporary issue and that's why I think the kind of issue the show will address amongst many others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not transgender, more transvestism really, but there was at least one episode when Sam jumped into the body of a woman - but IIRC, and it's a LONG time since I saw the show, the episode's tone mostly played for a reductive "gosh, women have it so tough, amirite ladies?", as well as cheap comedy over Scott Bakula in a dress.

The new show will do the same; maybe the way the stories are told will be updated for the era we live in but I don't doubbt there'll be stories of racial, sexual or gender inequality within the reboot. Now, whether they can do those stories justice and not come across as patronising or clumsy - that's another matter. I doubt they'll even touch transgenderism 'cos that's a tricky needle to thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

He leapt into the body of women a number of times - he was a pregnant teenager close to the delivery date and he leapt in a young woman who had just been raped hours before. That was good episode but they ended it badly with the writers needing Beckett to beat up the rapist rather than something more original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

But when it happens now the reddit dwellers will be screaming woke.

And no doubt those who are wine will find something wrong too

both sides are idiots

"That was good episode but they ended it badly with the writers needing Beckett to beat up the rapist rather than something more original."

Yeah she beat him up in little gazebo sort of thing. I think that suited the ending at the time. Like a feel good factor - 'she socked it to him'. At the time-ish, IIRC there was a load of movies ending where the victim ends up getting their own back the same way that they had whatever it was, done to them, rather than in court or going down the legal route.

This is precisely the point I'm making. If they handle the stories the same way, the people who.like the original will think its become reductive and patronising because THEY'VE changed. They used to see new issues as interesting and relevant. Now they're old and they don't see new issues as stupid and petty.

That's the trick age plays on people. They didn't realise the original show was WOKE, because they were young and cared about the issues back then. Now they've gotten old and don't care about new issues. The issues haven't stopped occurring, their ability to care has ceased.

That's why I think there's a mismatch between the show as it was and the audience is will appeal to. Old viewers might watch a couple of episodes and think it's WOKE rubbish - not realising the original was also WOKE for its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Isn't Boards.ie great - complaining that a series that hasn't even been made yet is too WOKE!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

look on the bright side, if they go back to the 80's and 90's a lot , Gen Zers will get chance to see how great things were

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Can't imagine one of the heroes this time (Al) snooping off to "check out the women's bathroom" or whatever.

Advertisement