Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantum leap revival/reboot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

None of them jabroni's can produce the warmth and charm of Dean Stockwell. Hard pass.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have vague recollections of this being explained but my mind has filled in a lot of blanks.

Personally, despite the typical drivel expected from the internet, it looks faithful to the original in its concept. Will it work, hard to tell. The original had novelty, this will require good acting. The original was class though, and pulled in those from multiple socio backgrounds, some for good and some for bad reasons. I loved it for the pure sci fi brilliance and the attention to things, but as an adult, I love that it may have given a few people that 'walk a mile in my shoes' vibe. Hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah the entire concept is bases on 'walk a mile in my shoes'. But that kind of empathy is seen as a bad thing by loads of people nowadays.

I think the sci fi has lost its novelty value in the interim. Could still be interesting.

Has anyone else rewatched the original and found it a bit childish? I'd prefer if the newer one is a bit more adult (mainly because I was a child when I first saw the original and now I'm an adult)

Sci fi as a story telling concept is, at its finest, a way of getting people to see the world differently. Sadly some see it as preachy nowadays but it's not a new concept. Good sci fi for me is if a child watches it, they see the story and enjoy it as I did. As an adult they see the mirror and understand. From Gattaca to Star Trek, to see the world, even if we pretend it's not our own, through another's eyes is what makes good sci fi. Something Quantum Leap done well in its day. Hopefully the new one does the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I'd agree with that.

Particularly the fact that the original did the job very well in its day. I hope the reboot can do the same.

Which platform will it be available on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the thing with the original was it was based on a higher power so there was some mystery to it, now that its a tech thing , which sounds even theoretically impossible, the whole trying to fix the timeline or whatever has been done to death in various shows and movies in the meantime

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The higher power thing was thrown in at the end, until then IIRC it was an experiment gone wrong with as few details as possible ( can't poke holes if you don't tell them how it works).

less detail is good for sure. the spanish time travel series did it well by not trying to explain it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Somebody posted recently on one of the Trek thread about Star Trek being all preachy all of a sudden... STAR TREK!!! 😀 Star Trek has ALWAYS been preachy.

And you are correct, Sci-Fi has always been used to tackle real-world situations. From war, racism and youth movement in Star Trek TOS. To self identity, mental health and colonialism in TNG and DS9. Gattaca, a fantastic (And underappreciated) movie again about self identity and ennablement. Almost the entirety of Buffy was about growing pains as opposed to simply being about killing vampires. (Mark Kermode famously gets stick about saying that Jaws isn't really about a shark... And he's right but that's a conversation for another thread).

Quantum Leap tackled all of these and in a much more heavy-handed way that other shows. There was very little subtlety about it's handling of issues. And nobody complained. I firmly believe that, if any of these revered shows were created now, the Internet trolls would melt down in their "anti-woke" rage (Buffy's friend is gay? Kirk kisses Uhura instead of Nurse Chaplain? Oh God, Now Sam is a black person? And now a WOMAN???!!! Oh God, here we go again with the war analogies).

I don't like the look of that trailer because I think it looks cheap and lazy. Maybe it's a poor trailer. I suppose all it's trying to BE is a good old fashioned throwback to late 80s/early 90s TV. And that's OK if that's what its going for. It just looks maybe a bit dated in these days of extremely high production value shows with deep and entwined story arcs. Shows with Hollywood stars and episodes costing 10 million dollars. I suppose standard TV stations just have a hard time competing with the streaming giants.

• Advertisement

you really need to distinguish between something being progressive and something being woke, its not the same

Nah. 'cos in 6 months the Internet brigade will have another bandwagon. I'm good.

I think by that stage they were running out of steam a bit. It's like introducing a new central character (Especially in a small cast). It's always a sign of running out of ideas. The age-old "Jumping the shark".

Having said that, I did love the last episode of QL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tell that to the many, even a.few on this site, moaning about new Trek being "woke" cos of its diverse cast or contemporary themes. The word is completely overused and I don't believe there's any distinction drawn beyond "I feel salty the lead isn't a white man". It's dressed up a lot but @TheIrishGrover is correct. Cribbing about Trek's credentials is asinine. If Trek came out for the first time tomorrow the same old bores would be moaning about the diverse cast. Twice over with DS9 and its black captain.

I disagree, shows in the past didnt say watch the show because it has a diverse cast, and if you dont like it you are an ist or a phobe. The term ive seen recently is "Fan Baiting" which seems to be a marketing strategy designed to wind up audiences to create "interest" in the show and cover if the show isnt doing well, if thats even remotely true they can go fck themselves. DS9 was a character and story driven show and Sisco was awesome and would have been just as good in a new show today , you are smoking something if you think it would have gotten the STD treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Star Trek is the perfect place to do a diverse cast tbh, its when the diversity seems forced is where id label it woke. So Wesker in the new resi evil series for example, getting race changed and then watching the trailer, i just knew the show was going to emphasise its focus on diversity first before trying or even bothering to tell a good story. And going by the reviews, thats exactly why it sunk..

Its a growing trend on these new streaming service shows and alot of movies coming out of Hollywood now and its naturally why people are getting sick of it and slating it before its released when the usual "woke" markers are all they pump out in the trailer/hype running up to its release.

I'm with Grover on this particular show, i dont think the diversity is whats making this show look bad, its everything else which makes the emphasis on diversity a pointless issue to focus on haha :D

Post edited by nix on

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe I’m reading wrongly between the lines however I don’t think he is happy about this reboot.

And they seem to be making a big deal about this being a CONTINUATION rather than a reboot. They keep referring to Sam Beckett. As if this was a hunt for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

First review I've seen for it isn't terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Watched the first 20 minutes. Good energy! I liked it.

I think Scott Bakula's denial of involvement is either a red herring (he shows up in the finale), or they will find out that Sam died.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will watch tonight when I can.

The makers do seem adamant that you can't have Quantum Leap without Sam so maybe he'll turn up. Though they'll need some explanation as to how they could find him. Randomly jumping through time doesn't seem a good way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ya he seems to be protest too much. There has to be some mention (so then flashback) or he is seen. Maybe a few crumbs before then do no think it would be long term or anything just a wrap up for fans

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Is it on any streaming platform?

It wasn't great but it wasn't terrible - its only the pilot so deserves more episodes

The Addison character is annoying, nothing like Al

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

But is that not good, no point in "clone" characters, they need to be differnent people, they are different people.

Yeah but she is very wooden - just checked IMDB and no acting credits before this. Needs chemistry between the two main leads, like I said it's only the pilot so maybe she gets better

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The modern day stuff is okay so far but didn't like how they cut to the modern day between the leaps. I miss Sam leaping followed immediately (most of the time) by seeing who he leaps into.

• Advertisement

The leaper is likeable enough as is Ernie Hudson the rest aren't really good in any way.

It seemed very badly edited to me in places.

The female lead looks very familiar even though this looks like her first acting role.

Advertisement