Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just ring them.

You select the option to talk to Cancellations, then there's another option if you are cancelling due to price.

Just say you're not happy with your monthly bill and you want to know what Virgin can do before you look elsewhere, you will likely get an offer straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just cancel and re-sign under partner or whatever. That jig you have to do to get the price down is a pain in the hole and you won't get what ya want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,009 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

When you do that do you have to give back equipment and then wait on new equipment to be sent out?

Is there much downtime?

WFH so can’t afford to be without for an extended period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

How easy/difficult is it to keep your number if you close account and sign up in other half’s name?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Nope just cancel in the old name by email.

Get your other half to sign up and they send you out new kit within a few days. The day before the old contract is due to be cut off (30 days after you served notice), switch over the new gear and you are good to go.

No loss of service so WFH is uninterrupted. We've done this the last three years.

You'll get a text (eventually) to send back the old kit for free via parcel motel.

As for the last q on phone numbers, can't help sorry as of it wasn't for wife I wouldn't even bother plugging on landline as never use it but given it is free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'm on same package. Only realised I was out of contract this morning when I got a bill for €107.

I was on a 12 month contract with discounted price of €77 per month for 12 month.

Need to go through the negotiations again now this morning!

Just rang, paltry offers to remain a customer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Didn't even bother trying them this year. Our house was Siro-d last November so I gave Virgin my cancellation email a month ago.

Tli connected us to Vodafone broadband yesterday. Double the speed I was getting with Virgin for just €35 a month (saving about 300 over the year), albeit without TV which I'm now using Android box, antenna and Netflix for. The engineers were saying loads of people are leaving them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Madeoface

I was out of contract. Rang them, upgraded from 250 to 500, pretty much same price ( €6 saving overall over the year) as before but wanted improved data due to wfh.

Was tempted to switch given the shite u have to go thru but neighbours did and had trouble with new providers so I'll stick with virgin for 12 months...and go through the same shite again next year. Never had outages is main reason I'm sticking. 2 weeks late with the new router tho....

Yup...only real option for us with 1GB bundle was to sign a new contract on my name and kill the wives account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Rang yesterday and got 49 euro for 9 months and was upgraded to 360 box and 500mb broadband. I was on 76pm with horizon and 250mb They were offering 10 euro per month for sky sports too.

Not a bad deal, couldn't get any deal when ours came up for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Not exactly a cancellation deal but I'm back with VM as a new customer, 500meg for €50 for 12 months, €7 more than I'm paying to digiweb for 65 meg, I'll cancel next year and get it in the missus name.

Funnily enough they contacted me yesterday with that same offer to cancel my cancellation! I had the 360 box already but they upped the BB to 500MB (not that I'm noticing any difference) and added in a bigger channel list (not that I'll ever watch them) ... but all in all cheaper than my previous deal and cheaper that other providers as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Rang up to cancel , poor enough reward to stay .So I decided to move to eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭EarWig

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I have gone from 250 mb to a hundred with eir , be happy if I get 50 and siro should be in my area soon enough . I just got sick of the yearly call.

First offer was 3 euro off for 3 months .

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Duit

Got an email yesterday saying contract will go up 4€ by July. Gave them a call and got 15€ discount for 9 months. They offered 10€ for 6 months as first offer, increased to 9 months. I asked if he could do something better for me. Then he offered 15€ for 6 months and finally after lots of back and forward, 15€ for 9 months. We don't have Siro therefore we need to take it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Fairly crappy offer tbf, is the 4 euro increase letting you out of contract? If it is can you cancel and get it in somebody else's name, that's what I'm going to do next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Got the same email, I'm currently not even in a contract with them, my contract ended a while ago, don't fancy a full year contract with them again as I may need to cancel mid contract, so to avoid cancel fees I'm just going to have to deal with 4 euro increase 🤷‍♀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

On the Beast Plan with Multi Room was 117

got 63.50 for 6 months

Will do for now

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Duit

Not best offer I agree but we don't have much choice as we don't have Siro and other providers offer low speeds. No doubt we will change as soon as Siro is rolled out in our area

I hate all these yearly increases. They don't care about loyalty or customer care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I have Siro in my area and the gig line is available from vodafone for 45e a month.

I am nearly afraid to cancel for loss in service and vodafone is the unknown! Think il be paying close to 70 for a 250mb line off VM which has been patchy of late.

We moved to Siro with Vodafone, got the 500mb pack for 35 a month. Working perfectly, getting speeds around 350mb, was getting about 170mb with VM. Do it, the savings are worth it.

Great im going to do it. In fairness the savings alone!

Im the typical person they rely on not changing because of the hassle of it but siro is half price for a multiple of the speed!

Can i ask, do you experience any form of throttling ? typically i use a VPN which ISPs take a dim view of and for streams? Thanks

Im not the most technical of people but I've not noticed anything major. I stream TV, movies, sports and Netflix etc and no difference from before.

Great thanks.

Got through to the cancel people there and they offered plenty, kinda around the houses, didnt write any of it down , but it was basically on the premise of giving a price over the year on average which made it lower / sam,e than VF but essentially the price goes up to 80e for the last 3 months so its up to me to bother ringing or querying.

Gonna go with VF and see if it works out and sure if it doesnt , it doesnt

I

You always have your 14 day cooling off period anyway with the new provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

Well I'm happy with my Virgin bb and phone tv via sky.

I got the letter today telling me €4 increase from July so I called them, I decided to upgrade to the 1gbps and keep phone as is. I got 5 off for 3 months so €83 for next 3 months then €88.

New modem sent out for delivery tomorrow and I am told it will be a massive upgrade to my WiFi as opposed to the old modem.

So overall I'm down about €5 per month but doubled the bb speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

I was on 500mbps, moved to 1gbps.

Advertisement